Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat
42 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Having had a look at some charts tomorrow looks really good for your location.

A convergence Zone sets up through Mid and East Kent and also parts of Sussex bending away into the English Channel.

Could be some decent dumps of Snow from Medway Towns Eastwards to Dover, and places like Brighton across to Folkestone and maybe Eastbourne etc could get in on some decent falls tomorrow

Hi paul , are you talking during the day tomorrow or evening ? Many thanks 

Posted

Can anyone explain why, with temperatures below freezing, there is absolutely zero settle on my paving slabs all the way up the garden? Generally, not impressive apart from on the grass, despite days of falling snizzle.

Posted
Just now, Oaks said:

What does the rest of February look like are we staying in the cold ? 

At the moment it looks as if the colder influence will dominate for the foreseeable future - how cold exactly is unclear, but we are getting to mid-February soon and the sun is getting stronger.   However, clear nights can still produce some very low minima over snow cover (-15C last night in Scotland, and the same tonight).

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
Just now, abovefreezing said:

Can anyone explain why, with temperatures below freezing, there is absolutely zero settle on my paving slabs all the way up the garden? Generally, not impressive apart from on the grass, despite days of falling snizzle.

Ground temperatures below the surface are above freezing. Saturated ground + no real cold frosty nights before hand = this situation unfortunately, the ground can retain heat quite well. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Thickened up nicely over GIllingham overnight.

Not the best streamer I have ever seen but boy does it look pretty!

Still snowing lightly here

Posted

I'd sooner have a couple of beefy showers rather than persistent light snow that isn't going to accumulate too much, don't want to sound ungrateful though!

My prediction of a couple of inches for this area the other day seem to have been over enthusiastic.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold
Just now, Cableguy said:

I'd sooner have a couple of beefy showers rather than persistent light snow that isn't going to accumulate too much, don't want to sound ungrateful though!

My prediction of a couple of inches for this area the other day seem to have been over enthusiastic.

I know what you mean!! 

Posted

That grass looks fake!!

LOL it is, its artificial, the whole back garden is, it was nothing but mud when I moved in 3 yrs ago and having two dogs the cleanest and simplest solution was artificial grass. Great stuff stops muddy paws, doesnt need cutting and easy to clean snow off!

• Like 3

Posted

A number of reasons are possible - for a start:

1. Drains or pipes running underneath (we have this with our front path) 

2. The ground still has some deeper warmth from the mild weather before the snow and this leaches upwards

3. Salt residue

4. Generally, slabs and concrete transmit heat better than grass, and heat leaks from houses' foundations to surrounding areas and warms them enough to prevent anything but brief freezing in strong winds, when the heat leaking out is overwhelmed by the constant influx of colder air.  Lighter winds can't take that heat away fast enough.

• Like 1

Posted

Heavy again in Bromley. Do we think it’s dying out on the southern edge? Quite hard to tell

Edited by jamesgold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Hoping that London gets a decent covering of snow today, we've seen snow falling for almost 72 hrs but not much settling in the inner parts of the city. ❄️

The showers seem to lose their oomph after hitting Essex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

The nursery roof when I came in this morning

IMG_20210209_081710.thumb.jpg.45c5bf8f1ee2b641bf1738c23eefa1e9.jpg

And now 

IMG_20210209_095849.thumb.jpg.3fd42a2204a11a0037f4b44c828a8d61.jpg

Don't forget the selfie 

IMG_20210209_102348.thumb.jpg.8701126755c8cb637de98a3d6fc07223.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ian Docwra said:

A number of reasons are possible - for a start:

1. Drains or pipes running underneath (we have this with our front path) 

2. The ground still has some deeper warmth from the mild weather before the snow and this leaches upwards

3. Salt residue

4. Generally, slabs and concrete transmit heat better than grass, and heat leaks from houses' foundations to surrounding areas and warms them enough to prevent anything but brief freezing in strong winds, when the heat leaking out is overwhelmed by the constant influx of colder air.  Lighter winds can't take that heat away fast enough.

Thanks, I think this will explain this for a lot of peeps

Posted
1 minute ago, Leo97t said:

Looks good for the Thames southwards - Surprised there's no amber 

It's nowhere near heavy enough for Amber!  There would need to be major streamers delivering huge amounts to warrant that (as with EA over the last two days).  The amount heading across barely even warrants a Yellow warning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Oh snow, got to be close second frosty mornings, all white and glistening,

Beautiful snow now, not really heavy but snow flakes not covering pavements melting as it hits a shame but still lovely whispery snow coming down

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,

Winds have just gone to E/ENE in NE Hampshire! Hopefully some decent snowfall today, probably not anything close to areas further east but a few inches of snow by middle of the night tonight would be nice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, Blazerblue said:

LOL it is, its artificial, the whole back garden is, it was nothing but mud when I moved in 3 yrs ago and having two dogs the cleanest and simplest solution was artificial grass. Great stuff stops muddy paws, doesnt need cutting and easy to clean snow off!

That reminds me of an old song, from the sixties: The other man's plastic is always greener; the plastic's greener, on the other side...

• Like 2

Posted

How dare they... somebody just drove down my street and spoilt the lovely even snow cover.... but falling heavy again so should level it again

• Like 3

Posted

No streamers around the SE, but one in the Channel and another, smaller, one over north Hampshire/Dorset.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Oh snow, got to be close second frosty mornings, all white and glistening,
2 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

That reminds me of an old song, from the sixties: The other man's plastic is always greener; the plastic's greener, on the other side...

Ah showing ur age now lol cant beat the older songs  shhh not giving my age away either

• Like 1