Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

About 4/10 in intensity in central. 

Not enough for it to settle unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, seaside 60 said:

Stupid question but how come the temp has gone up over freezing, I thought there were no mild sectors now.
Also I am not impressed with the temps they dont seem cold enough lol.

The snow is still melting here from ground up esp near buidlings it seems that the ground is so so wet and no real cold to get dwn and freeze the ground.

By the way is it a record yet because it hasn't stopped snowing here since sun am, although it could snow like this for the whole month and we wouldn't get much laying.

Had another few cm’s over night here but got lots of melt here too, no dripping but seems like the thaw is from the ground up on concrete near the house. I’m assuming we have higher 850’s and would be interested to hear the science behind this? 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, seaside 60 said:

Stupid question but how come the temp has gone up over freezing, I thought there were no mild sectors now.

The snow is still melting here from ground up esp near buidlings it seems that the ground is so so wet and no real cold to get dwn and freeze the ground.

By the way is it a record yet because it hasn't stopped snowing here since sun am, although it could snow like this for the whole month and we wouldn't get much laying.

Easterly wind coming off the N.Sea will always raise the temps a bit. Will see a bit of a thaw today maybe even the dreaded drips this afternoon. We have some cold nights to come so shouldn’t be too much damage to the snow pack

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, seaside 60 said:

SST's having an effect  down in Shoebury but temps wont get much above 0.5c today and with the dewpoint being way way negative everything that falls should still be white. We are about 6 miles west of you and a full degree colder so no Sublimation of the snow at all and no icicles on the roofs or car bumpers yet so plenty cold in the ground here.

30NOV 2010 To Dec 02nd 2010 that streamer had constant snow for 72 hours so we have to make it through till tomorrow morning around 8am to beat that

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, lawrenk said:

Any good for Hailsham Paul?

We’ve been a bit betwixt and between last day or so.

Yes Hailsham in a good position for tomorrow 

• Thanks 1

Posted

I know some people are happy with it snowing for 48 hours but I'm over it lol. 

IMG_20210209_095600.thumb.jpg.1b0c231306b3319692378e2caa267eeb.jpg

Posted

More of the same so far today with persistent light snow falling with a bit more intensity from time to time. Hopefully this streamer continues all day. Probably about 3cm lying on the grass...

Temps at 0c exactly, a rise of 0.4 since 8am.

• Like 2

Posted

A few pics from my walk earlier and a 2ft high snowman myself and my daughter managed to construct, not easy with the dry powdery snow.

IMG_20210209_083424198.jpg

IMG_20210209_084525864.jpg

IMG_20210209_082914006.jpg

IMG_20210209_090139715.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Snowing quite heavily now. Thought it was all going to my south east so a bit of a bonus.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

This is really great fun, but anyone else occasionally zooming out of the radar, looking up at Scotland and thinking... that looks tasty .

Bet there's some chunky old snowfalls up there today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.
1 minute ago, snowblind said:

Snowing quite heavily now. Thought it was all going to my south east so a bit of a bonus.

Stanway too x

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter snow.

Bigger flakes with light snow and small grains in the occasional more moderate bursts. Definitely more of a covering now than the dusting we had a couple of hours ago.  The heavier bursts just don’t last long enough to really build up the accumulation though

oh, and the home & dry radar app is not updating again

Edited by NYCSnow

Posted

Possibly the last measurement barring some major snowfall today (lots of sublimation going on here) not quite a foot but will go down as historic for here:

52018BD6-159B-49DC-AF44-181DF5909834.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
9 minutes ago, Southender said:

Easterly wind coming off the N.Sea will always raise the temps a bit. Will see a bit of a thaw today maybe even the dreaded drips this afternoon. We have some cold nights to come so shouldn’t be too much damage to the snow pack

The wind has been coming off the North Sea for the entire cold spell.   An E, rather than NE, wind has a shorter sea track so should make it colder still, but there are other factors at play -  the wind is a little lighter today and there is a little more solar warming through the thinner clouds, pushing the temperature up a tad.  Remember we are now nearly a month and a half on from the shortest day so the sun is gaining a little more power.  We are now at -0.6c here (from -1.2C an hour ago) in NE Surrey with a few flakes falling, but the sky is much brighter than yesterday - i.e. more insolation reaching the surface.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
6 minutes ago, Nimbusman said:

Possibly the last measurement barring some major snowfall today (lots of sublimation going on here) not quite a foot but will go down as historic for here:

52018BD6-159B-49DC-AF44-181DF5909834.jpeg

My parents have just nudged 27cm in Ipswich (they live in the NW of the town) - they asked if there would be any more, and I told them that as the winds swing more easterly, they might lose some showers to the south in Essex/Kent, but looks like lots of more showers moving in from North Sea hitting Suffolk, to add to those totals! My parents said they havent seen snow like that in Ipswich since before I was born (I'm 32). 

Edited by i luv snow
  • Like 1

Posted

Showers off the coast seem to be prepping up a little and coming from a more easterly direction. Fingers crossed we can eek as much snow out of this as possible 

Screenshot_20210209-100457_NW Storm Radar.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Suddenly much heavier here, appears to be a mix of graupel and snow. 

• Like 1

Posted

It’s just relentless would like it to be heavier but it’s great to see the amount of falling snow I’ve seen since Sunday is unreal. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
18 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

SST's having an effect  down in Shoebury but temps wont get much above 0.5c today and with the dewpoint being way way negative everything that falls should still be white. We are about 6 miles west of you and a full degree colder so no Sublimation of the snow at all and no icicles on the roofs or car bumpers yet so plenty cold in the ground here.

30NOV 2010 To Dec 02nd 2010 that streamer had constant snow for 72 hours so we have to make it through till tomorrow morning around 8am to beat that

That streamer also had some decent convection & precipitation rates..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Still snowing and main road that was clear this morning is covered. By the looks of things the ppn is dying out on it's southern edge so probably not much more to come. 

IMG_20210209_095920.jpg

IMG_20210209_095843.jpg

IMG_20210209_095629.jpg

• Like 5