Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, Kentspur said:

There we go finally a ENE flow in NW Kent added a good 2 or 3cms tonight so far and the best wind direction is only just here.

Not sure these snow accumulations can be correct no way near 14cms here! More like 6-7cms id say

Screenshot_20210209-043140_Samsung Internet.jpg

Says 10-12cm here more like 1. Nothing overnight either. Yawnnnn

Posted

About 2cm has fallen in central 

Shame its all fallen continually over 48 hours so hasn't had much impact on the streets.

IMG_20210209_053835.thumb.jpg.630574129194666de7d575205b8bab8c.jpg

Edited by Cheese Rice
  • Like 1

Posted

Looks like it’s been snowing lightly all night. Radar suggests that and still is snowing moderately. Roads are covered, doesn’t look to be stopping anytime soon. Hoping for some beefy showers these next couple of days. Will measure car in a bit. Probably 10cm or so now I’d expect 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, SHM040519 said:

Looks like it’s been snowing lightly all night. Radar suggests that and still is snowing moderately. Roads are covered, doesn’t look to be stopping anytime soon. Hoping for some beefy showers these next couple of days. Will measure car in a bit. Probably 10cm or so now I’d expect 

Done well down the road if it snows any lighter here it will be going back up might have managed 3- 4cm so far.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
1 hour ago, Kentspur said:

Can see the problem here Winds might be Easterly on the coast but aren't inland more a NNE if anything here hence why the heaviest of the showers about turn just after leaving Southend etc, very frustrating still light/moderate here  ut a gentle top up you can't sniff at I suppose.

Notice the much colder temps inland also 0c just to my east 1c on the coast but -2c to my west

Screenshot_20210209-034338_Samsung Internet.jpg

Morning all.,

Well done to those of you that have had a decent Snowfall.

As Kentspur alludes to above, those of us in the Thames Corridor have been a little unlucky.

There's always been a little too much N in the flow, to initiate a Thames Streamer.

Those in the East of our Region, and over Kent have faired ok, as the flow has been N.E., over the last couple of Days.

We have around 24 hours left where the flow remains between N.E. and E.

This coincides with the lowest Upper Air temperatures, we've seen during this spell, over our Region. This from the 00z ICON run:

image.thumb.png.358bc40461d5369c856f33bfcefcbae9.png

In response to these 850's of around -11c over the Southern North Sea/Thames Estuary, the Model breaks out the lightest of Thames Streamers, in the overnight period:

image.thumb.png.6ccce0936a6978fbb507c9b0c556589c.png

Not out of the question that those Members in the Thames Corridor, may get a slight covering during that time.

In other News (CV Vaccination), I'm pleased to report that Colette and myself had a better Night, than the previous one, after a slight adverse reaction to our AstraZeneca jabs, on Sunday Morning.

Regards,

Tom.  ❄️

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather

Actually quite surprised on waking and seeing it still lightly snowing. Must have added an inch overnight. Very cold. Feel satisfied now. If we don’t get anything else at least we’ve had this. 

D7A48B12-FA57-4773-97F2-B56F8FC0D48C.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Coming down thick and fast in Southend, temp up slightly compared to past 48 hours as the wind has changed to a more easterly direction, has definitely helped pep up the snow though overnight.

• Like 1

Just now, Great Plum said:

Snowing lightly here in Reigate - looks like we’ve had 1cm overnight 

Streamer looks okay.. Would want more oomph to it but looks like South London okay for yet another day of falling snow.. 

We are nearing here over 48 hours of falling snow in 3 days incredible really.. 

With my DP around -4 to -5 the whole time I think that has been half the problem.. The snow that has fallen last night is gone.. Not melted.. its about 50 miles up the road its so dry! 

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

Snowing lightly here in Reigate - looks like we’ve had 1cm overnight 

About the same here in Dorking although it isn’t snowing anymore. Considering I wasn’t expecting anything despite nearly constant light snow for over 36 hours, it is lovely to wake up to. A couple of pictures from my walk yesterday on Holmwood Common and the car park this morning (which was half clear/half a very small drift when I went to bed).

1880FFA9-D8FA-4E58-8D0D-828E86040633.jpeg

13959830-975F-4284-98AF-983C54CFAE18.jpeg

6DE7889F-AE17-4A1A-A13E-7870AFA5631D.jpeg

Edited by FlightlessWings
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
7 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Seems to be coming more from north Norfolk rather than a convergence off the Wash. It looks a bit more hopeful for western parts of the region on the radar. Don’t expect much but possibly most might end up waking to a dusting of snow.

A dusting was about right . At least its not as icy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather
9 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

Another bust of a forecast! How can sub -10 uppers over a relatively warm North Sea generate so little convection?

1526249526_Screenshot2021-02-09at06_35_36.thumb.png.e29a91d493a3c8a93085cd53c9577f3c.png

Yes there does seem to be some disparity between the convection intensity in the SE in comparison to everything further North? Can anyone explain?

Posted

Heads up people in SW Essex and SE London a much better line of convection run ENE to WSW from the around Maldon through Basildon/Thurrock 

Looks much more intense on radar these returns 

• Like 5

Just now, winterfreak said:

1526249526_Screenshot2021-02-09at06_35_36.thumb.png.e29a91d493a3c8a93085cd53c9577f3c.png

Yes there does seem to be some disparity between the convection intensity in the SE in comparison to everything further North? Can anyone explain?

See track... The sea track is much shorter over our part of the world. 

1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

Heads up people in SW Essex and SE London a much better line of convection run ENE to WSW from the around Maldon through Basildon/Thurrock 

Yes looking good... Hopefully builds through the day... not yet had a chance to look at steering winds but tim posted becoming more favourable during the day

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Oh snow, got to be close second frosty mornings, all white and glistening,

Morning, still very light snow here, no covering overnight, but still everything has a thick covering of snow, well all frozen now, BBC weather looks quite good for me with snow today , not been getting much done though keep looking out the window and trying to keep up with posts on here.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Surrey said:

See track... The sea track is much shorter over our part of the world. 

But the sea track is even shorter for S Essex, yet there is more shower activity there than over Suffolk.

Must be something else inhibiting the convection.

Just now, Djdazzle said:

But the sea track is even shorter for S Essex, yet there is more shower activity there than over Suffolk.

Must be something else inhibiting the convection.

If you are talking about over Norfolk way then that is just pot luck.. This is how streamers and lines of convection work when coming of the North sea.. The difference of you seeing snow or no snow can be half a mile up the road sometimes which we all know how frustrating that can be... 

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Should be ok where I am.

any idea on rates from it Paul?. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

If you are talking about over Norfolk way then that is just pot luck.. This is how streamers and lines of convection work when coming of the North sea.. The difference of you seeing snow or no snow can be half a mile up the road sometimes which we all know how frustrating that can be... 

I expect it’s also to do with the flow strength.

i read a post last night saying that the parameters are almost identical to the Feb 09 event, yet the outcome is nothing like that.

Just trying to increase my understanding, because on paper this should have been so much better.

• Like 1

Just now, Djdazzle said:

I expect it’s also to do with the flow strength.

i read a post last night saying that the parameters are almost identical to the Feb 09 event, yet the outcome is nothing like that.

Just trying to increase my understanding, because on paper this should have been so much better.

There will be some kind of reasoning behind it.. I guess we will find out over the coming days... 

Hats of to the NMM on this mornings streamer.. Closest model I can find showing it 

1262856094_WRF-NMM1.thumb.png.28a43d9c9eacaa9001c3d1b8993120c2.png

• Like 1