Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Just a shame the North Sea radar is a complete joke! 

Does this help out?

https://www.rainviewer.com/weather-radar-map-live.html?loc=52.2973,5.0388,5

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting - mostly storms or snow
4 minutes ago, boydem87 said:

Does anyone know what has been causing the near constant dry slot running from Norwich to north Cambs? 

No but it's been driving me mad, had nothing but dandruff here with really heavy snow just a few miles away both north and south, been doing this since yesterday.

Tbf I've had more snow than some but seeing the really juicy stuff just in touching distance has been rather maddening, and the stubbornness of it as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
26 minutes ago, Mark said:

Pretty much that. If it holds up

Capture.PNG

Colchester bang in line! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
4 minutes ago, boydem87 said:

Does anyone know what has been causing the near constant dry slot running from Norwich to north Cambs? 

Path of most resistance I’m assuming. It happens every time there’s an ENE. Moisture funnels the showers down towards the Thames, or round towards the wash. Cambridge and E/N Cambs do better with a NNE wind. 

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, jamesgold said:

You reckon the angle looks good? I’m in Bromley and assume you’ll be able to tell better than me haha

Hello Bromley from Orpington - the blob out over  Sufflok looks great and is back bouilding of the coast, my concern is that once it gets to north Essesx it appears to shear of southwards or just stops.... if you can please play radar and see what you think?

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like should benefit from this in next hour. Suspect a little heavier than earlier. Screenshot_20210208-173614_Chrome.thumb.jpg.38ddbe66c7b55ec5bdee9986e3197cf7.jpg

Posted
2 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Path of most resistance I’m assuming. It happens every time there’s an ENE. Moisture funnels the showers down towards the Thames, or round towards the wash. Cambridge and E/N Cambs do better with a NNE wind. 

Indeed. The heaviest single snowfall I experienced was a NNE which developed a Southerly facing Wash streamer in December 2009. That gave 4-6 inches of widespread snow in Cambridge and the surroundings over 4-6hours 

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

I've never seen it snow for so long but accumulate to nothing. Pavements and roads nice and clear, bit of a dusting on grass and tables.

Good luck to those that get on the streamer action tonight! 

Keep an eye on the precipitation over East Anglia (say the bit  over the Sudbury area). Doesn't seem to be weakening, and perhaps a chance it might hit parts of NW  / central London. 

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, jayney69 said:

Happy days if it does, I’m in both areas

Me too, it'll be like a winter wonderland if it does come to fruition 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Hello Bromley from Orpington - the blob out over  Sufflok looks great and is back bouilding of the coast, my concern is that once it gets to north Essesx it appears to shear of southwards or just stops.... if you can please play radar and see what you think?

Can't see any reason why that would happen - I see what you mean though.

Posted
1 minute ago, Hammer said:

Looks like should benefit from this in next hour. Suspect a little heavier than earlier. Screenshot_20210208-173614_Chrome.thumb.jpg.38ddbe66c7b55ec5bdee9986e3197cf7.jpg

Is this heading towards North London

Posted
7 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

I'm prob just over 10 miles ENE of you and I'm at the same. Looks great for now and seems to be pepping up - concern for me is that I'm about as far SE as I think will possibly be covered, and I could easily see a slight reorientation occurring which puts me just to the South of it. But that's if it even gets inland as far as us...

Yep seems so hard for our locations to get any decent amount of snow from an easterly 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 minute ago, Howie said:

On its current trajectory, yes. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Mark Bayley said:

Keep an eye on the precipitation over East Anglia (say the bit  over the Sudbury area). Doesn't seem to be weakening, and perhaps a chance it might hit parts of NW  / central London. 

Yes that is the bit I have my eyes on, heading this way. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Nice to see some areas further west although very light seeing a, few flakes now it's dark everything should settle better.. 

today has been strange, was working in four marks today and it snowed all day lightly giving a covering even though the radar said no, got home to Basingstoke and nothing even though the radar showed more precipitation. I’ve noticed the western extent of the snow has stayed the same for about 6 hours, Basingstoke just in it and it’s starting to settle now.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, boydem87 said:

The upper warm front is causing the more persistent light/mod snow in the SE.

And from about the wash northwards the showers are convective in nature, and will very slowly move south over night and align more east to west winds turn more easterly. As the upper warm front finally fizzles/moves away

Frustrating as it is that's the dry zone in the middle and this event is unfolding slowly

Edited by zubzero
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Howie said:

It is heading for East Hertfordshire/West Essex first so locations SW of me thereafter.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hammer said:

It is heading for East Hertfordshire/West Essex first so locations SW of me thereafter.

Hertfordshire is about 10 minutes from Edmonton so looking good

Posted
2 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Well there will be some terrific streamers setting up, but other than those caused by geographical features such as wind convergence into estuaries such as the Wash and Thames, it's a bit hit and miss to say exactly where. Here's how the Euro4 model sees it from now until 09.00 tomorrow. And I just had to 'screen grab' this image off the BBC graphics for 03.00 Tuesday morning. It's showing the same monster streamer stretching from South Wales, across Norfolk and all the way to the Baltic Sea as Euro4 does, so it very much looks like the Beeb used Euro4 to generate their graphics. (Note also the Thames streamer shown). 

Anyway, good luck.

anim_fca1.gif  image.thumb.png.1c6da30ee22d94e66d537d164a67ea8a.png

Sources:
Euro4: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/euro4.php?ech=8&mode=1&map=10
BBC : https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast-video/21416743

Ta for that am in a prime spot for a TS

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Hammer said:

Hopefully N London too.!!..lol

• Like 1