Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Come on wind, just swing round to an Easterly already. It's like drawing blood out of a stone this! All I have to show from it is neck ache from looking out the blasted window  Maybe next time!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
4 minutes ago, Mizzle said:

Interesting all these differences. I am not so far from @kold weather and my garden is not getting the powdery stuff settling on the grass but is on the soil. ( Just went out to pop some warm water in the bird bowls and took quick snaps).

20210208_171129.jpg

20210208_171142.jpg

Probably due to the type of snow you've got.

Posted

Didn't believe we'd get much more after Sunday and last night. It has snowed continuously, albeit very light fine grains all day. Not added much more, but pleasant to watch from the office. Then just the last few frames of NW radar and it looks like we might get some showers this evening too! Good luck all, especially those who've not had their fair share yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uxbridge90 said:

I've never seen it snow for so long but accumulate to nothing. Pavements and roads nice and clear, bit of a dusting on grass and tables.

Good luck to those that get on the streamer action tonight! 

We were just saying getting on for over 24hrs of falling snow with a meer 1cm on gras now lol! 

Having said that.. Stuff coming off North Sea looks good still and its still snowing buy DP now - 3 temp - 1 settling in all surfaces 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat
5 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Strange one that EML,just up the road in Saltdean the light snow has stuck well on all surfaces including the seafront.

How close to the centre of Brighton are you? Could the City be having a warming effect?

It’s very odd as EML lives just down the road from me , I cleared my car today as needed to go shopping , it’s snowed most of the afternoon and my car is now covered again , plus my garden and now pavements are covered again . We don’t live near city centre , we are close to the South Downs ?‍♀️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
23 minutes ago, soopdragoon said:

Crossing fingers, I'm in Sandwich. BBC showing heavy snow all day tomorrow which is never going to happen. Just interested in what they are thinking, what are they basing that forecast on??

I'm not so sure, remember how long that streamer that gave us rain showers non stop for days a few weeks back, I think the radar looks like that. Of course it's unlikely to last that long, as it's snow. But it's gonna be a good night I think.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

It’s been snowing lightly for hours, we must have reached at least 0.25cm of dandruff now. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, ITSY said:

Come on wind, just swing round to an Easterly already. It's like drawing blood out of a stone this! All I have to show from it is neck ache from looking out the blasted window  Maybe next time!

It’ll come eventually  

• Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

Near bus garage

Near the old Homebase/new Lidl then? When I first moved down to the area my wife had a flat on Kenton Lane just down from Gordon Avenue, we are now in Stanmore near the station

• Like 1

Posted

Today's summary for my location:

Max. temp. -1.3C.

Snow depth : approx. 3cm, drifts to 10cm.

Weather light snow all day.

Dry, powdery snow almost everywhere but still some wet patches lower in the garden which were saturated before the cold arrived.  Two ponds - upper one (in loamy soil) not frozen, lower one (in sandy soil) - partially frozen/slushy.  Surrounding hills (Downs) up to 230m are more deeply covered from around 170m upwards.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Heat and Cold, Tornadoes & Hurricanes
1 minute ago, Marie said:

It’s very odd as EML lives just down the road from me , I cleared my car today as needed to go shopping , it’s snowed most of the afternoon and my car is now covered again , plus my garden and now pavements are covered again . We don’t live near city centre , we are close to the South Downs ?‍♀️

Peacehaven had a great hour of snow 4 to 5 this afternoon which bought us most snow we have had for whole event...finished now but lovely to see

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow

Hastings has a big storm about 13.00 with snow in the beach via webcam.. heavy with a few cm on hills I reckon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow

Hastings Has had more then New Romney for sure... on the roof it is definitely a fee

cms..looks a good spot around there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat
1 minute ago, Bevbrighton said:

Peacehaven had a great hour of snow 4 to 5 this afternoon which bought us most snow we have had for whole event...finished now but lovely to see

Fingers crossed for more overnight with the Kent streamer

• Like 2

Posted
57 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

It is always going to be hard to tell, a tiny change in the wind direction off the sea could be the difference between 20cm and virtually nothing. Especially this far from the coast.

The cloud appears to be clearing now and that Lincolnshire streamer is becoming more of a North Norfolk into North Cambridgeshire event. Looking at the radar I think Peterborough should be going under that shower train now. It might continue to push south, or grown in size (north to south) or a new convergence might develop on the east coast that travels this way.

Thank you.  I will expect nothing not really an area that benefits from easterly.   

Posted

Snow is now starting to dust the pavement and road as the sun has set. I think I have a good 5cm on the decking in my back garden now. Too bad for the ground temps 

Edited by Howie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
7 minutes ago, Surrey said:

We were just saying getting on for over 24hrs of falling snow with a meer 1cm on gras now lol! 

Having said that.. Stuff coming off North Sea looks good still and its still snowing buy DP now - 3 temp - 1 settling in all surfaces 

We could do with some more moderate snow throughout the night to give slight coverings by the morning.

Whats the chances for the streamers to continue through the night ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
25 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Possible Kent streamer tonight transitioning to Londons streamer tomorrow.

YES.thumb.png.d5e2110216bab894c027d96ae4bd22b3.png

Shaded area: Highest risk of snow this evening and tonight, uncertain how much will accumulate, depends how intense we can get the showers/how prolonged they are. 

Black line: This is the area at risk during tomorrow as winds become much more easterly. UKV has developing convergence zone later tomorrow afternoon>evening which could pep up showers, though current precip modelling isn't really showing this very well.

Would you expand the red zone to include areas further north? The clump of snow in Suffolk looks on a direct path to Essex, Gtr London, south Herts.

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
2 minutes ago, Marie said:

Fingers crossed for more overnight with the Kent streamer

Just a shame the North Sea radar is a complete joke! 

Posted
14 minutes ago, Tom Jarvis said:

Looks like a streamer is finally heading towards my location just hope it keeps its intensity to reach far enough down here 

68619065-21A5-4610-8C95-F424EFDA1B04.jpeg

I'm prob just over 10 miles ENE of you and I'm at the same. Looks great for now and seems to be pepping up - concern for me is that I'm about as far SE as I think will possibly be covered, and I could easily see a slight reorientation occurring which puts me just to the South of it. But that's if it even gets inland as far as us...

Posted

Apart from the downright fun of having some heavy snow, as a keen photographer, I'm hoping to get some night shots of falling snow with various light sources, so I'm watching the progress of the area of snow over Essex with interest for a possible arrival here in NE Surrey after dark.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
1 minute ago, danm said:

Would you expand the red zone to include areas further north? The clump on snow of Suffolk looks on a direct path to Essex, Gtr London, south Herts.

I'm just highlighting where the convergence is, not where every possible bit of snow could be 

Edited by Met4Cast
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Howie said:

Snow is now starting to dust the pavement and road as the sun has set. I think I have a good 5cm on the decking in my back garden now. Too bad for the ground temps 

It would really help if you put your location into your profile.

• Thanks 1