Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Well im calling this the biggest let down and complete non event down here, weve had light snow all day and not one iota of it has settled.

If it snows and the temperature is zero, the dew point is well into the negative, the uppers are around mimus 10 and its STILL not settling then I might as well just give up hope of ever seeing snow falling and settling here.

Makes no sense at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Went for a stroll at lunchtime around Reigate park around footpaths . Sunday at about 10am when the snow was starting to settle it was an absolute quagmire slimey mud everywhere soggy grass spongey saturated ground . 24 hours later and it’s all been freeze blasted in the wind . It’s rock solid now everywhere on footpaths . Amazing transformation in 24 hours . Light snow most of say settling. Max temp -1.5c great ice day this . Now onto the evening course of a Thames streamer 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mark said:

The precip coming from the North Sea and EA is looking very good. Really hoping it starts to pile through SE London soon.

Any reports from Ipswich area on intensity?

Yep, its currently as per video which I've just taken. 6/10 on the Suffolk snow scale.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring

Really fine snow coming down bit like rain, its given the A25 in Seal a slight dusting 

20210208_165513.jpg

Posted
23 minutes ago, SHM040519 said:

Looking good to clip east Kent! 

Crossing fingers, I'm in Sandwich. BBC showing heavy snow all day tomorrow which is never going to happen. Just interested in what they are thinking, what are they basing that forecast on??

Posted

Had an errand to do out near Wakering today so had a look at how they fared 7 miles east of here and some nice scenes of the North Easterly snow drifts out that way exposed to the harsh winds on Sunday. 

Much better looking sky here now with an orange sky and sunset to the west and blue skies above with pitch black skies to the east in fact the first shower of snow from the Estuary just started 

IMG_20210208_134558.jpg

IMG_20210208_131728.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
5 minutes ago, Mark said:

The precip coming from the North Sea and EA is looking very good. Really hoping it starts to pile through SE London soon.

Just north of Ipswich. Heaviest it’s snowed so far this cold spell. Video doesn’t do it justice and lots of fine flakes 

• Like 3

Posted

Nothing but a few flakes in the wind all day here in Clacton. Snow isn't melting but has compacted slightly and I think a little has sublimated.

Can currently see a little bit of blue sky for the first time in a few days.

Posted

What ever happens imby. This is a fascinating spell off weather. It's brilliant watching/studying the radar and short term models you learn something new every time that's what makes the weather so great.

Even if you do want to throw the phone/laptop ect out the window when it don't go your way!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!
2 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

Yep, its currently as per video which I've just taken. 6/10 on the Suffolk snow scale.

Those flakes are bigger than anything we've had here so far in the last 48hrs. Just need a good few hours of that.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
30 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

I do get that, but the conservatory isn't heated. I got a 4.9c reading in there earlier before moving the sensor outside a few feet from the door where it is now -1,1c. Even the paving slabs up the garden lawn are still wet - it's almost like what happens when the dewpoint is too high

I've been out to Lidl, via the two-foot drifts, and discovered something: although none of the snow is anywhere near melting, BT's junction box thingy was covered with water, presumably being warmed from within (it's too late now for Solar radiation) which prompted another thought: is there part of the drainage system beneath your garden path?

If not, I'll just give up, and put it all down to nocturnal UFO activity!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!
1 minute ago, suffolkboy_ said:

Just north of Ipswich. Heaviest it’s snowed so far this cold spell. Video doesn’t do it justice and lots of fine flakes 

IMG_3166.MOV

I'm liking the look of that

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, EML Network said:

Well im calling this the biggest let down and complete non event down here, weve had light snow all day and not one iota of it has settled.

If it snows and the temperature is zero, the dew point is well into the negative, the uppers are around mimus 10 and its STILL not settling then I might as well just give up hope of ever seeing snow falling and settling here.

Makes no sense at all.

I think Eastbourne's primary problem was that it rained for hours before it snowed so it was always going to struggle. We have got a bit of laying snow now though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Just got home! Getting an absolute pasting!! If the streamer intensifies further, then who would rule out a bit of thundersnow!! That would be the icing on this wonderful cake. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Mark said:

You reckon the angle looks good? I’m in Bromley and assume you’ll be able to tell better than me haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Been out for a good long walk round Gillingham.

It’s so close but yet so far. Powder everywhere, lots of nice cars untouched but we badly need a streamer tonight to drop nice fat chunks. If that happens it will be a wonder wonderland tomorrow 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

Hail shower in Whitstable at present. Looks like some interesting activity in the channel - but I've said that a few too many time over the last few days to no avail  so I withdraw that statement

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
3 minutes ago, Mark said:

I'm liking the look of that

I just went out in it to get some firewood in, was covered in snow in seconds. I live on the side of a minor A road and it's gone from being clear to completely covered again within 15 minutes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

Is that band from Suffolk out into the North Sea actually moving? It’s looked stationary on radar for a while...

Posted
7 minutes ago, soopdragoon said:

Crossing fingers, I'm in Sandwich. BBC showing heavy snow all day tomorrow which is never going to happen. Just interested in what they are thinking, what are they basing that forecast on??

Moderate snow here now. Been on and off all day! 

• Like 1