Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

@polaris 

can only be ground temps and intensity of snowfall 

a couple, of weeks ago the snow was on the back of a hard frost. The ground temps were well below zero when the snow began to come down. 
I wonder if anyone has a ground thermometer to check what the current ground temps are (where there is no snow or the ground is wet) 

This any good mate? 

WWW.CLIFTONWEATHER.CO.UK

Weather data for the village of Clifton in Bedfordshire, UK. Plus Hillwalking and weather related photos

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
2 hours ago, Sweetdream said:

What are the prospects for huntingdon later this evening into tonight. Euro4 not sure is a good model has us under orange ? 

It is always going to be hard to tell, a tiny change in the wind direction off the sea could be the difference between 20cm and virtually nothing. Especially this far from the coast.

The cloud appears to be clearing now and that Lincolnshire streamer is becoming more of a North Norfolk into North Cambridgeshire event. Looking at the radar I think Peterborough should be going under that shower train now. It might continue to push south, or grown in size (north to south) or a new convergence might develop on the east coast that travels this way.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Clipboard02.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It is an interesting one.  The water in our hosepipe on the outside wall of the house is frozen solid, it feels more like a rigid pipe than a hose!  I feel it's more to do with the wind and generally slow pace of the snow?

Edited by Mal_UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

More radar echo's appearing near the Netherlands coast (only using NW radar). This is good news

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
9 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I'll take the temperature of my pavement and get back to you on that one

Is it even snowing in your area?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

The snow melt is 100% ground temps. I have just watched the phenomenon in my back garden.  The air temperature just above the ground is -1.2°C. When the snow hits the pavement, or bare soil, it melts very quickly.  However, where the grass and bushes are tall enough to offer a bit of protection from the ground, the snow settles, likewise outdoor window ledges and roofs. It also is sticking on manhole covers, and the outside door mat where bristles keep the snow away from the surface. I have a small paved area with steps, that I have noticed have air bricks underneath them. The snow has melted right up to the steps but stuck on the air brick borne steps - so the air bricks are providing a cold insulating barrier away from the ground to let this occur.

It’s no surprise really, with weeks of heavy rain, a warmer and saturated water table, and no significant harsh frosts prior to the snow, it didn’t stand a chance in these areas.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

This is all proving disappointing to see how, in reality, what were narnia type ten day FI charts.  actually materialise!

I watched the Spurs v West Brom yesterday expecting to see significant snow already lying on the ground  Instead the type of snow that occurred during the game, heavyish at times without ever really settling is all we have had here at best.

Incidentally I hear Mourinho had to shelve plans to drop Hugo  Lloris for the game when Joe Hart complained he couldn't possibly go out on pitch and risk being seen with all those flakes in his hair.......  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Clipboard02.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, jamesgold said:

Yep that’s good, get the heavy cloud out the way and showers can drive in. I’d say it looks pretty good for us in NW Kent, Bexley, Bromley etc (at the moment)

Clearing the "heavy cloud" won't achieve anything on its own - in sunny weather, losing cloud allows convection to start, but obviously warms the surface in the process.  Now, nearly at sunset, that won't happen so the lack of cloud, if anything, chills the air near the ground and reduces convection.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Very little snow showing on the met office app now, it has been accurate all the way through this for me so far, as long as you only look a few of hours ahead. Every time I look it, has light snow "now" and on 10% chance in the following hours equating in my book to "it might snizzle". The persistent snow showing earlier from 6pm to 10pm ish and most of the night (60%), which made me think streamer, has disappeared and the look of the latest radar and wind makes me think we night miss out in the part of South London. Obviously I believe that the met office personalises the app updates for my exact location I really hope I am wrong.

• Like 1

Posted

Light to moderate snow in Tunbridge Wells, despite a rather underwhelming looking radar. Minimal accumulation - perhaps half a centimetre through the afternoon

Posted
1 minute ago, chionomaniac said:

The snow melt is 100% ground temps. I have just watched the phenomenon in my back garden.  The air temperature just above the ground is -1.2°C. When the snow hits the pavement, or bare soil, it melts very quickly.  However, where the grass and bushes are tall enough to offer a bit of protection from the ground, the snow settles, likewise outdoor window ledges and roofs. It also is sticking on manhole covers, and the outside door mat where bristles keep the snow away from the surface. I have a small paved area with steps, that I have noticed have air bricks underneath them. The snow has melted right up to the steps but stuck on the air brick borne steps - so the air bricks are providing a cold insulating barrier away from the ground to let this occur.

It’s no surprise really, with weeks of heavy rain, a warmer and saturated water table, and no significant harsh frosts prior to the snow, it didn’t stand a chance in these areas.

Indeed - as I said on Saturday.  The message, it seems, takes time to get through the barrage of optimism that everything would instantly freeze solid!

Posted
Just now, Ian Docwra said:

Indeed - as I said on Saturday.  The message, it seems, takes time to get through the barrage of optimism that everything would instantly freeze solid!

Everything is frozen solid here though...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer, warm - Winter, snow

Stu_London, do you think TW will get anymore tonight/tomorrow? I’m also in TW, thanks 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms in summer, cold/snow in winter
25 minutes ago, craigore said:

Agree

Radar is our friend tonight.

Apps are useless as well.

North sea  defo starting its Engine to my eye.

Hoping Margate cops some of this as it will also then be heading through here rather than migrate into the Estuary more