Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

It's stopped snowing here now and the skies are starting to clear.  Not sure if that bodes well for a Thames snow streamer later or not?  ?‍♀️?‍♀️

Posted
28 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Well there will be some terrific streamers setting up, but other than those caused by geographical features such as wind convergence into estuaries such as the Wash and Thames, it's a bit hit and miss to say exactly where. Here's how the Euro4 model sees it from now until 09.00 tomorrow. And I just had to 'screen grab' this image off the BBC graphics for 03.00 Tuesday morning. It's showing the same monster streamer stretching from South Wales, across Norfolk and all the way to the Baltic Sea as Euro4 does, so it very much looks like the Beeb used Euro4 to generate their graphics. (Note also the Thames streamer shown). 

Anyway, good luck.

anim_fca1.gif  image.thumb.png.1c6da30ee22d94e66d537d164a67ea8a.png

Sources:
Euro4: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/euro4.php?ech=8&mode=1&map=10
BBC : https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast-video/21416743

What are the roads like around Hadleigh?  I'll be passing through tomorrow, hopefully!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.
3 minutes ago, RJM said:

Absolutely brilliant there. A couple more today from Downs behind Chartham after a bit more fell last night, 2 cm more or so

20210208_114615.jpg

20210208_115940.jpg

Great photos,that looks awesome there!! 

Posted
23 minutes ago, Jason M said:

Absolutely. It’s what fergieweather would refer to as ‘depth temps’. That’s why yesterday was a bust for many of us. The skies cleared here for several hours last night and within about 15 mins everything froze solid. It then snowed and settled without any problems and we have had virtually no melt today whatsoever. A couple of hours under clear skies and it’s a different situation.

the mini beast that followed the main event in 2018 was the same. I remember hours of snow falling and it just melting on contact despite the temp not rising above zero for 24 hours before.

This what I was saying on Saturday, before the snow arrived, and was part of the reason I was sceptical about immediate or even medium term accumulation and then longevity.  The ground had been warmed for quite a while and it takes time to lose that heat.   However, I was firmly assured by the experts here that, effectively, the ground would freeze instantly and not a flake would be 'wasted'.  Hey ho.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
6 minutes ago, SHM040519 said:

I’d take those with a pinch of salt. There is defo something in the North Sea heading our way. Looks it anyway. Best to check radar and window!

Agree

Radar is our friend tonight.

Apps are useless as well.

North sea  defo starting its Engine to my eye.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
19 minutes ago, SHM040519 said:

Bring it! Seems we may see some more soon in canterbury then? Defo building there!

Hopefully the winds stay as they are and don't go more east!! With that said I want a wider spread of snow so everyone has the chance

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, DAVE_ALLEN said:

297181739_Screenshot2021-02-08at15_04_35.thumb.png.fa104710a4ac7600225f7f6b1ff4ddeb.png

If your snow depths are not as you had hoped for. Next week could well deliver. What temp is that aloft in E Anglia ??

Nice, although may be to far to look yet. But if it is still cold then, the ground will not melt the snow.

Posted
6 minutes ago, snow raven said:

It's stopped snowing here now and the skies are starting to clear.  Not sure if that bodes well for a Thames snow streamer later or not?  ?‍♀️?‍♀️

Yep that’s good, get the heavy cloud out the way and showers can drive in. I’d say it looks pretty good for us in NW Kent, Bexley, Bromley etc (at the moment)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
3 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

What are the roads like around Hadleigh?  I'll be passing through tomorrow, hopefully!! 

Main roads to and through the town have all been gritted and are fine RJB. I've not heard of any country lanes closed, but they and side roads in town don't get treated and will be snowy/icy. Have a good trip.

• Like 3

Posted

This so frustrating this cold spell here,never snows heavily enough for the snow to accumulate properly,even though its cold enough to settle to a good depth,but the intensity wont increase.

Was heavy enough yesterday but ground too warm then,only a couple more days left to see decent snow before this cold spell is over.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

More dandruff. Some heavier stuff coming off the N Sea now looks to be going to the S and N of here.

Just skated to put the rubbish out, and I can confirm that according to my bin lid, which we know is the accepted gold-standard for snow depth measurement is... about 5 cms.

Elsewhere, much more patchy. But would have been approaching a notable snowfall by now were it not for the ground temps.

Posted

Dutch radar at 19:00 uk time. Can we take this seriously? I’m hoping it intensifies as it comes across the North Sea.

Thoughts anyone??

AA49FD87-BD2A-49F5-A0C0-C2C68ECFEBDF.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
20 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

We still have snow on all surfaces, so it's not because it's not cold enough - It's your ground temps people 

I'll take the temperature of my pavement and get back to you on that one

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
29 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

There are two main reasons for that, dubmuffin:

One: there's heat radiating directly from your conservatory onto the patio, thereby making it slightly warmer than it otherwise would be; two: heat also conducts from from your conservatory floor and out into your patio, also making your patio warmer than it otherwise would be. If it were -20C outside, I doubt it would matter, but being it's nearer to zero, 0.1C can make all the difference.

Hope that makes sense, as linguistics are not really my forte!

I do get that, but the conservatory isn't heated. I got a 4.9c reading in there earlier before moving the sensor outside a few feet from the door where it is now -1,1c. Even the paving slabs up the garden lawn are still wet - it's almost like what happens when the dewpoint is too high

Posted

Another one for confirming the popping up of showers in ipswich!

Weve had very light snow fall on and off all day, but within the last 20 minutes or so it's started pepping you again! 

My son went on a walk earlier and decided on a spot of tractor watching in our local tescos!. Yes that is piles of snow he's sat on!

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Blessed Weather said:

Main roads to and through the town have all been gritted and are fine RJB. I've not heard of any country lanes closed, but they and side roads in town don't get treated and will be snowy/icy. Have a good trip.

Thanks, heading up from East Bergholt and on to Sudbury, got the winter tyres on so hopefully should be fine.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
10 minutes ago, Nimbusman said:

Snow really getting going again here, much bigger flakes. A12 streamer has set up all the way down to London

Yep that big clump over you guys in Suffolk looks like it's making a bee line for Essex, Herts and London. More convection also building to the south of it that could push into Kent. 

• Like 2

Posted

Could all the evaporating snow today help the atmosphere into the evening?