Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
10 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

Well there will be some terrific streamers setting up, but other than those caused by geographical features such as wind convergence into estuaries such as the Wash and Thames, it's a bit hit and miss to say exactly where. Here's how the Euro4 model sees it from now until 09.00 tomorrow. And I just had to 'screen grab' this image off the BBC graphics for 03.00 Tuesday morning. It's showing the same monster streamer stretching from South Wales, across Norfolk and all the way to the Baltic Sea as Euro4 does, so it very much looks like the Beeb used Euro4 to generate their graphics. (Note also the Thames streamer shown). 

Anyway, good luck.

anim_fca1.gif  image.thumb.png.1c6da30ee22d94e66d537d164a67ea8a.png

Sources:
Euro4: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/euro4.php?ech=8&mode=1&map=10
BBC : https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast-video/21416743

This is definitely the feature most interesting me at the moment. We get some sort of convergence around that sort of line between 7-9pm initially on the Euro4 modelling of this:

image.thumb.png.5cb62c979dd22bae950558101860f529.png

This then fades for a while before returning in the early hours

image.thumb.png.8927e6478a76e8bbf72941ad3503493f.png

This has been there on the last couple of runs, although it could well be gone again come the 12z. I suspect the radar will look significantly less dry than that too in reality

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

Yep it’s very underwhelming. 8 hours solid snow here for a slow melt too. 850s of -10, temp and dp below zero. Very disappointing!

It’s so bizarre, the heaviest snow I’ve seen here with an easterly component and minus temperatures easterly fed and yet there’s a slow melt with -2c temperatures. 

Has to be ground temps as others have alluded to why there is no further accumulation 

Posted

This is turning out to be a great spell for Crawley. Wasn't expecting this. It has really cheered me up.  It has been snowing, albeit very slowly, for the most part of 36 hours. Everything is covered very well including side roads. Nothing seems to have melted as it is bloody freezing. 

On top of this I see there is news of a potential streamer tonight!!

Edited by snowy weather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Here in St Leonards on Sea there's been an almost continuous fall of snizzle/light snow since the early hours of Sunday morning. Settled on most surfaces to a level depth of 4-5cms. I've been surprised by how light the winds have been for most of the time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Persistant light snow all afternoon.

Certainly not grumbling lol,if we carry on like this overnight the dusting might become a couple of centimetres  by morning!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Skies starting to brighten up now in Thurrock. Hopefully that’s a good sign for shower activity later 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

We still have snow on all surfaces, so it's not because it's not cold enough - It's your ground temps people 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Some more moderate size flakes now and finally starting to stick on same pavements, rather than just the grass and cars but it’s painfully slow! Feels like there’s been an awful lot of “wasted snow” today.

Just hope this can keep going down here after dark for a while. The BBC APP thinks it will but, honestly, pretty much all the APPs, including the MO, have been next to useless the last couple of days.

Posted

Not sure how much we got in Norwich because there is so much drifiting.has anyone in Norwich measured?  But some of the drifts went almost to my knees when I took my daughter sledging today! We had a good dumping last night and it’s been chucking it down all afternoon and is pepping up even more now. It’s literally a winter wonderland here. I’ve been obsessed with snow since I was little. So I’m really enjoying this BF8FD8E7-E7C0-432D-8697-536CADB1C199.thumb.jpeg.06c60cf050eb90dbb8bca48b4c83f7f4.jpeg

60D4D69A-1653-4B06-9F51-AA19C48D3E2E.jpeg

59F08D62-B7BA-45E3-9318-A1AF70AC2AAB.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted

Some pictures of canterbury. We have had snow on and off all day. Hoping for more from North Sea tonight. 8-9cm here in areas where it laid instantly yesterday. 

B0891641-CE81-4BD7-BABD-E60CD5E2CCBD.jpeg

71DDFD39-D668-4774-B6AD-4CAAA8B955C0.jpeg

D47D3767-22FE-4EC3-A434-8E7E0216AFD3.jpeg

03E6721A-7321-4A16-8615-88B0CE5E3DB7.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

Streamers look to be lining up a little more NE than ENE, not sure how much change there could be to that if we’re looking for a classic Thames streamer? I’m thinking i could be okay personally with that wind direction but I guess I’m pretty SE of london

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
47 minutes ago, Mark said:

I would say that even though the freezing point of water is 0c, to keep water frozen takes a colder temperature, especially if snow falls onto something that isn't pure, or even ever so slightly above 0c. That's why your freezer is at about -18c (though I'm aware that's also to freeze things quickly). That snow came from a much colder place than the ground.

Typing out loud, prepared to be corrected.

edit: in hindsight, that wasn't a great post, sorry

No worries 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
10 minutes ago, snowking said:

This is definitely the feature most interesting me at the moment. We get some sort of convergence around that sort of line between 7-9pm initially on the Euro4 modelling of this:

image.thumb.png.5cb62c979dd22bae950558101860f529.png

This then fades for a while before returning in the early hours

image.thumb.png.8927e6478a76e8bbf72941ad3503493f.png

This has been there on the last couple of runs, although it could well be gone again come the 12z. I suspect the radar will look significantly less dry than that too in reality

I was just gonna say it's looking a bit stingy unless of course we all live under that line..

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, craigore said:

I was just gonna say it's looking a bit stingy unless of course we all live under that line..

I’d take those with a pinch of salt. There is defo something in the North Sea heading our way. Looks it anyway. Best to check radar and window!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Still coming down nicely in NE London, been persistent moderate snow now for a few hours, and i hasn't stopped snowing at all since this morning. Starting to stick more now as well. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

Decided to head to the Wye Downs, I knew it would be busy but thankfully most of the people stayed in an isolated area so i managed to get a few nice shots including one showing how deep it was on the hills 

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Absolutely brilliant there. A couple more today from Downs behind Chartham after a bit more fell last night, 2 cm more or so

20210208_114615.jpg

20210208_115940.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.
12 minutes ago, Marie said:

Great snow now bigger flakes and heavier laying on pavements , grass and cars

It's a bit better now this side of the downs too,but still not making too much difference yet! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
4 minutes ago, craigore said:

Look at the radar now across the UK compared to modelling for the same time. They just don't handle this well. Much more out there than forecast. 

• Like 3