Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

I’ve found a solution to the size of snowflake issue.

My eyesight’s not all that, so if I take my glasses off, bingo, lovely fat flakes dancing past my window!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Edited by danm
  • Like 7

Posted

Looks like streamers this eve could add to the totals. Harsh frosts, temps wont be lifting tbf and these temps could be here for a while. We have 22cm in Ipswich.  I've never seen it like this,  actually surprised.  

Just think in 3 months we'll be looking at the next hot spell lol

• Like 3

Posted

Slight uptick in intensity here, and for the first time since sunrise, it's landing faster than it is sublimating away. It'd probably take about 6 hours of this to give an appreciable covering though.

Posted
15 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Are they, I thought they where warmer than that, still minus of course but more like twelve or so.

Snowing picking up intensity  now,here in Maidstone, been very light since 8.00am,flakes getting  bigger too

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, JamesL said:

This could be due to very dry air and low dew points 

Causes “sublimation” or in layman’s terms turns solid to gas 

Just a thought 

Happens after snowfall with temps below freezing and the snow just appears to vanish 

Yeah that had been my first thought James, but it is very much actually melting on contact rather than laying and then disappearing, so it didn't appear to me at least to be sublimation

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Everyone talking about growing intensity around me and here's me with barely a flake falling! ?‍♀️

• Like 1

Posted

Well another update from me. Fine snow probably for 12 hours or so here but less than a cm still. It's a matter of intensity here as in the rare heavier bursts this PM it has started to settle, only for the skies to lift and disappear again. The last chance for inland areas of our region is probably from now until tomorrow late morning. Annoying but on the flip side, plenty could still happen and we've had 5 (probably 6 by tomorrow) days of falling snow here this winter. Add whatever is to come in the rest of Feb and it's been unquestionably noticeable for cold, even if not for snow accumulation yet...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I can't really describe the situation here as any more than a light dusting. Although it seemed heavier at times, I think that's just the wind really. There is at least a dusting on our road surface now which should help anything heavier later lay better.

Posted

Even now there’s nothing overhead on radar and the flakes have stopped after 22hrs, we still have a fine graupel falling! not had a dry gap at all since yesterday 4pm 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Throwing it down in Bexhill with binbag flakes!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 1. Clear skies 2. Cold 3. Snow 4. Hot

Is it possible that the precipitation leaving the continent will intensify over the sea and (IMBY perspective) reach the far south eastern areas of our region?  

Posted
2 minutes ago, Delka said:

Even now there’s nothing overhead on radar and the flakes have stopped after 22hrs, we still have a fine graupel falling! not had a dry gap at all since yesterday 4pm 

worth noting i haven’t noticed any further accumulation from the light to moderate snow that’s persisted most of the day since first light, it kinda maxed out as daylight arrived even though it was definitely reaching the ground and it’s been below freezing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
9 minutes ago, Polaris said:

These big fat flakes have caused snow melt of the beautiful powder snow earlier.

My patio was covered 3 hours earlier 

CB4C6A7B-8956-4D16-A804-802FD36331AA.jpeg

I don't get how that is melting - maybe your area is above freezing?.. or maybe there's a lot of heat coming off your house 

Edited by D.V.R
one that too many
  • Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, WheresTheSnow said:

Hi Yamkin, by the S-SE, do you mean S-SE of London or the general Southern parts of the UK?

Hi, S/SE UK

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, D.V.R said:

I don't get that how that is melting - maybe your area is above freezing?.. or maybe there's a lot of heat coming off your house 

You laugh but just outside my French doors snow doesn't lay.. I try and park my cars facing the house as it doesn't tend to freeze as much lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

Just popped out to the bins and there is about 2cm accumulated on them. Not fantastic, but from the windows everything is white, were not disturbed.

Light snow still falling and adding a dusting to cleared surfaces.

Keeping a keen eye on the radar (while trying to work...)

Posted

I think the latent heat from the previous mild weather and radiation from the sun is the reason why it's not settling . But signs it will start settling soon here 

Posted
1 minute ago, D.V.R said:

I don't get that how that is melting - maybe your area is above freezing?.. or maybe there's a lot of heat coming off your house 

Nope it’s nearly -2c here 

Beautiful powder snow this morning turning to big snow flakes this afternoon, we now have wet roads and paths. 
just grassy surfaces with cover and it’s still snowing heavily