Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms
3 minutes ago, Polaris said:

-2c - heavy snow falling and yet no accumulation just a slow melt. 

Crazy!!! 

See my comment above 

Posted
5 minutes ago, yamkin said:

The upper 850hPa temps are around -28C -/+ and coupled with the upper 500hPa around the same temp will create instability = heavier snow

500hPa is more favourable from 3pm for the areas S-SE

The following excerpts are courtesy of null.com

Hi Yamkin, by the S-SE, do you mean S-SE of London or the general Southern parts of the UK?

• Like 1

Posted

afternoon all, snow still falling here but quite light and powdery, overnight quite a big fall again powder snow so the wind has whipped it into drifts, many areas around here have had problems on the  roads some are still closed, even just heard on the radio my town leiston has blocked roads, everything very icy and bitter cold in the strong gusty wind, hubby managed to get to doc this morning decided safer to take the car than walk on frozen paths said car twitched a couple of times but he got home safe, [ hes an ex taxi driver so is used to bad road conditions] im not allowed out as had heart stent done and also rare neuro condition, years ago id have been out snowballing etc lucky my lovely neighbours wave as they pass our home and keep an eye on us. Down in portsmouth family excited this morning as it was snowing only lightly though they are quite envious of us here in suffolk, keep warm and safe everyone and for us snow lovers bring it on please

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
5 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Isn't that down to the snow being so dry it's getting blown off the surfaces into the drifts? It's been snowing all day and it's managed to leave a cover where it was exposed from last night but the majority of it has accumulated where the drifts were and in the corners.

Yes I think this is what it is. No problem with settling here except on parts of my patio which are a little warmer. It is getting blown about a lot though due to how light and powdery it is. 

• Like 1

Posted

Here are two pics from this morning, plus one taken just now. It's very difficult to get an accurate level snow reading because it's been blown about so much. However I estimate it's around 7cms on my garden chairs

Febsnow4.jpg

FebSnow5.jpg

Febsnow6.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, JamesL said:

See my comment above 

Big fat flakes falling so heavily for the past 3 hours with temps at -2c with a slow melt of the powder snow this morning. No further accumulation. 

It must be something to do with ground temps mate as per your post. 

Need that powder snow back and quick.

Come on Easterly!!!! 

Posted

Looks like another area of light to moderate snow is moving in soon off the north sea

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms
2 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Big fat flakes falling so heavily for the past 3 hours with temps at -2c with a slow melt of the powder snow this morning. No further accumulation. 

It must be something to do with ground temps mate as per your post. 

Need that powder snow back and quick.

Come on Easterly!!!! 

Sublimation or a faulty thermometer and it is actually melting lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

Regardless of what happens we have already had the best winter since 2013! Beast from the east was very short but exceptional for some but not us where we only had two inches for a day!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

I known I'm moaning, but it might as well not be snowing. its all powdery dandruff that isn't settling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Heaviest snow since last night now. 50p flakes mixed in. I'd give it about 6/10 in intensity. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
2 minutes ago, danm said:

Yes I think this is what it is. No problem with settling here except on parts of my patio which are a little warmer. It is getting blown about a lot though due to how light and powdery it is. 

Yep -  it has manged to settle in some areas that was completely exposed this morning. 

• Like 1

Posted

To those wondering about snow melt its probably due to the sun, it can be below freezing but the suns radiation can still melt the snow hence why it's better in December or January

• Like 1

Posted

What I can only describe as snow dust falling here. So fine that you wouldn’t notice it unless you’re a crazy person staring out the window like me

Here it is currently -1.0c, DP -2.4c

• Like 3

Posted
36 minutes ago, yamkin said:

The upper 850hPa temps are around -28C -/+ and coupled with the upper 500hPa around the same temp will create instability = heavier snow

500hPa is more favourable from 3pm for the areas S-SE

The following excerpts are courtesy of JP - John Pike

I'm struggling to understand this. You mean the 500 hPa temps are -28c? You want a large negative difference between the two and to be honest, you would use a lower down height than 500 hPa because no convective cloud top in winter will be that high. 

Obviously a colder 500 hPa level implies also cold lower down at 700 hPa ish, but not always!

Edit: The post on the next page with the Herstmonceux tephigram illustrates this perfectly, big chonky inversions. To be honest, it's probably why 850s have become so widely used in winter, because it's roughly where cloud tops from convective easterlies will be, so you can have a rough guide to instability. 

Edited by Eastbourneguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Frustrating seeing the flakes just dancing around atm. Last proper direct hit for us here in SE London was the Feb 2009 easterly which, although gone on in a day or so, at least gave us 25-30cm 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Still snowing, very light still, which it's been more or less all the time. Fingers crossed for some heavier stuff

1 minute ago, Mac_SE said:

Frustrating seeing the flakes just dancing around atm. Last proper direct hit for us here in SE London was the Feb 2009 easterly which, although gone on in a day or so, at least gave us 25-30cm 

Beast in 2018 gave us 2-3 inches or so here in Lewisham overnight on the 27th/28th Feb. That was decent I’d say too.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, JamesL said:

Sublimation or a faulty thermometer and it is actually melting lol

What a waste. Heavy snow with a temp a -2c and no accumulation 

Only in the U.K.