Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather
2 minutes ago, NewEra21 said:

Things are definitely starting to pick up on the radar just of the EA coast and towards the Thames estuary. You'd expect these areas to gradually grow bigger and increase in intensity over the next hour or so!!

Screenshot_20210208-141902.png

Well the one of the East Coast of EA is making a beeline straight for me...I'll let you know.

Radar is always a bit unreliable during snow. It hasn't stopped snizzling all day but radar showing nothing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
12 minutes ago, Dbarb said:

Is that something I see brewing in the estuary on radar

I think so, it's filling up and East Kent has new developments too, I think it's starting, fingers crossed it builds up a bit more omf. 

• Like 4

Posted
9 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Same here, moderate snow all day but no further accumulation. Hopefully tonight  

It's a really strange one, I've just been out for a walk and even on bone dry cars and concrete, with properly powdery type snow, it just seems to melt on contact. The only other thing I could think of is that the wind is having a warming effect (but it certainly doesn't feel like it!).

I suspect it just needs something heavy to come down to cover the ground sufficiently to cool it to be honest. Fingers crossed for tonight

• Like 1

Posted

The upper 850hPa temps are around -28C -/+ and coupled with the upper 500hPa around the same temp will create instability = heavier snow

500hPa is more favourable from 3pm for the areas S-SE

The following excerpts are courtesy of JP - John Pike

Edited by yamkin
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring, sunshine, snow
13 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Bit of a streamer developing here in NE Surrey / NW Kent. Big flakes getting more numerous

definitely picking up here after a consistent light fall since around 8am, the flakes are getting bigger and the wind swirling them around more too - hope to increase on our 1 inch already

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
3 minutes ago, DAVE_ALLEN said:

IMG_7971.thumb.jpg.79f38dfe23fe21372b23e394bd3d33b3.jpg

Snizzle/snow boundary. North of the black line its moderate snow falling. South of the black line its more of the snizzle before it fades later towards dusk. 

Love a chart that's been scribbled on.  I scroll down for them!  Thanks

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

6 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Isn't that down to the snow being so dry it's getting blown off the surfaces into the drifts? It's been snowing all day and it's managed to leave a cover where it was exposed from last night but the majority of it has accumulated where the drifts were and in the corners.

Posted
9 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

It’s moderate snowfall .....enough intensity to actually just about cover a wet windscreen ! 

Thanks, exciting.. We've now gone from very light to light snow. 

Edited by Mark Bayley

Just now, yamkin said:

The upper 850hPa temps are around -28C -/+ and coupled with the upper 500hPa around the same temp will create instability = heavier snow

The following excerpts are courtesy of null.com

Imagine -28C uppers though...

this is a good sign for all of London! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
13 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Some accumulation here on the grass and areas where there is a covering however all melted areas it just wont settle. Even though cloudy think radiation that does get through being asorbed by the dark surfaces.

Posted
2 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Hit the nail on the head there zubzero. Our Region is stuck under a blanket of stratus giving just light intermittent snow, whilst further north the convective shower activity has pepped up and snow showers are pouring in off the North Sea. The latest satellite image illustrates it nicely:

11.45: 2081327957_Satellite08Feb11_45.thumb.jpg.d39e81c88a2fddbf4c8e4385fb6b7c81.jpg

Source: https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

What are the chances of something heavier this evening BW ?

Posted
36 minutes ago, NYCSnow said:

Light snow in Surbiton but much bigger flakes than this morning. Is it just me or is the radar starting to perk up a bit? ????

Indeed, our icing sugar is definitely being topped up with chunkier looking flakes, although as I type they are the wee ones again but plenty of them. Walked around Southborough earlier and thought the bigger flakes were due to elevation but apparently not. As you say, the Estuary has come into life in the past few hours on the radar so let's hope it keeps going.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Had some proper snow here in Twickenham for 20 mins or so. Died down again though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Let's hope to see something heavier later. Love prolonged snow showers, but bloody hell... this is like a buffet where you can only grab one cheese and pineapple stick at a time.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Latest weather conditions and forecasts for the UK and the world. Includes up to 14-days of hourly forecast information, warnings, maps, and the latest editorial analysis and videos from the BBC Weather Centre.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms
4 minutes ago, snowking said:

It's a really strange one, I've just been out for a walk and even on bone dry cars and concrete, with properly powdery type snow, it just seems to melt on contact. The only other thing I could think of is that the wind is having a warming effect (but it certainly doesn't feel like it!).

I suspect it just needs something heavy to come down to cover the ground sufficiently to cool it to be honest. Fingers crossed for tonight

This could be due to very dry air and low dew points 

Causes “sublimation” or in layman’s terms turns solid to gas 

Just a thought 

Happens after snowfall with temps below freezing and the snow just appears to vanish 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, yamkin said:

The following excerpts are courtesy of null.com

Are they, I thought they where warmer than that, still minus of course but more like twelve or so.