Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
11 minutes ago, Hotspur62 said:

That really is an amazing graphic if that came off.A large part of EA will have 20cms and some will have half a metre of snow!!dont think I have ever seen that before for anywhere south of the Midlands in 9 years of being on this forum.Even a cheeky red bit in Kent showing 40cms.Imagine if it comes off this place will go bananas!!image.png.281b71f302ff09996902db72d94f6250.png

Which model and run is that? Can't read it in the image.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
25 minutes ago, Sarahgreatchart said:

Walk to keyworker school ended in diversion to build a snowman and a snowday.

Thames streamers- where do they track? I never paid attention before as I just knew they didn’t affect us. But since moved west

Our school texted parents yesterday to say it would be closed to key worker children today. I'll make a guess it's the same tomorrow, it actually has a genuine ice risk, and teens from out of town can't get in anyway. It's built at the top of a big hill, with very steep walk up.

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Not sure why we’re getting any melt here at all today....bins had a covering on them overnight, hasn’t stopped snowing since 7am, below freezing and it’s melted?!

I’m in cb23 and it’s accumulating on cars and grass but yeah it’s melting on some surfaces

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
1 hour ago, throwoff said:

Gillingham with a nice layer now, snow still falling slowly.

All it would take would be a solid 2 hours of medium/heavy fall for some depth to accumulate...

I know, it's so frustrating. Just give is some heavy snow. I wanna go play!

Posted
16 minutes ago, huntso said:

Maybe you wouldn't be so keen if it were you out all day making the deliveries

Sorry but been there and done it.

I have been stuck many a time, .things you should have , a shovel, a blanket, food, and a hot flask.

How many venture out with these items

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Persistent light snow here once again. Nice to not hear any dripping for once, and the snow that fell last night hasn’t turned into a single rock hard layer yet. Feels bitter out there!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
6 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

Which model and run is that? Can't read it in the image.

EUR04  0008feb

Not a bad model.We shall see

• Thanks 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Nothing on the radar for south London but's still snowing in Streatham 

Yes, light snow / snizzle continues in Raynes Park

• Like 1

Posted

That streamer Norwich through Cambridge is North of me so wont benefit from that. I often end up in middle of that type of streamer and one off Thames. But still some snow right now so won't complain to much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!

Looks like it's dying out on the radar. Is that it for us (kent/e.sussex?)

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Sparky68 said:

To be fair , countries that get regular snowfall are better set up for it. We don't often get disruptive snow so are not.

As we have disruptive snow once in a blue moon now you can hardly expect anyone to invest in such things as snow tyres etc.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Uxbridge90 said:

Would West London do well out of a Thames streamer or would that require a more direct Easterly track?

More easterly I would say.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Its quite possible the Euro4 will be right, you wouldn't need to be very far out on the wind direction to shift the main zone of snow north or south a fair amount.

We won't know until it starts to form...indeed that is still an if it forms! You can never be sure with these types of things and the models are pretty poor typically, even the high resolution ones, at predicting them.

All true. Ultimately the greatest activity later is likely to form in the estuary, however, and even if it tracks due SW, we're too far south and east here for estuary streamers.

The Euro4 has us under a little prong of higher snow totals that extends SE off the main streak coming in from the estuary, and it showed something very similar under the original band on Sunday, which makes me think it's related to the vagaries of that particular model and it's view of this area, topography perhaps.

Generally I'm hoping there will be as many and as wide streamers as possible, and who knows what will happen...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 minute ago, Hammer said:

That streamer Norwich through Cambridge is North of me so wont benefit from that. I often end up in middle of that type of streamer and one off Thames. But still some snow right now so won't complain to much.

You aren’t missing a thing. It’s been snowing here for 6 hours solid, if anything there’s less snow on the ground than this morning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, thunder, lightening, snow
19 minutes ago, huntso said:

Maybe you wouldn't be so keen if it were you out all day making the deliveries

My partner is working today doing deliveries for Sainsbury (this isn’t his real job, that’s events which is Non existent currently) his first issue was driving to work through rural Kent, but he made it.  These drivers are paid very little a d work in all weathers, so spare a thought for them.  Hope you get your shopping

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

Sprinkling of flakes in the wind here now. Good coverage here since yesterday and the winds have ensured varied surfaces are covered. First pic shows just how deep it got in places in our sheltered front garden. Roads could be worse but also sheltered from winds which typically cause drifting around here. May be drifts elsewhere. Caked snow on road nearby but generally easy to clear at the moment, snow is quite powdery and light. When it starts to freeze and get heavy it will be more awkward. We are not far from roads into town but always get stuck when snow falls due to being in countryside (just outside of Hadleigh in Suffolk).

IMG_6450.jpg

IMG_6462.jpg

IMG_6465.jpg

IMG_6471.jpg

Edited by cloudsabove
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Still snowing when I I went to sleep last night, and snowing now. Not sure if it ever stopped.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
11 minutes ago, Darkcloud said:

Looks like it's dying out on the radar. Is that it for us (kent/e.sussex?)

Huge band coming off the continent, should be here around 4/5

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Some light snowfall, can't help but say that this spell has been dissapointing for my parts so far, currently at a spariodic 2mms at best eather than 1-2cm. But there is still some time for that to change!

Posted
30 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Not sure why we’re getting any melt here at all today....bins had a covering on them overnight, hasn’t stopped snowing since 7am, below freezing and it’s melted?!

Posted

Atmosphere needs a breather again sorry to bang the Storms drum but quite often when areas in the States get worked over on continuous days the SPC often refer to it as the atmosphere has been beaten up a bit give it a bit of time to dry out and more moisture feeds in later. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
26 minutes ago, TROY said:

I lived in Woodingdean as a child, we got very deep snow and drifts, lots of people think Brighton being on the coast escapes, but you dont have too go far inland too get the drifting snow. Enjoy and take care.

I've always been amazed at how crazy it can get here. It will lay if it heads this way I think