Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
1 hour ago, General Cluster said:

Do you mean a snowperson, Xander? You'll get the PC Brigade all upset!

Lol, I'll make a snowman and snowwoman to make up for it, still snowing here.

Edited by Hurricane Squad
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Still very cold outside, temp -1.2c with an additional cm added so near 5cms here.

Is that right more snow is expected late tonight and tomorrow?

• Like 7

Posted

For crying out loud..home delivery shopping being stood down.

But Mr Amazon is out and about.

It only a few inches and things come to an excusable stop.

Take a look at some American YouTube videos of snow

Then you realise what wimps we are.

• Like 5

Posted

Appears that the Esturary is drying up now - provided a nice couple of hours this moring for the North of kent, into South London 

Greedy I know but why is it drying up at present I really felt it was starting up ? @kold weather and views on this please? you do seem to be our resident Streamer expert  and when might we expect any refiring of the streamers please? 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Great Plum said:

I’ve had a thought. I’m going to see how bad the met office app forecast is here for temperatures over the next week. Here’s the maximum temperatures it is forecasting today for this week:

08/02 predictions:

Monday: -2c
Tuesday: -1c
Wednesday: 1c
Thursday: 0c
Friday: 1c
Saturday: 4c
Sunday: 7c (!)

The MetO's mobile app is all over the place most times, but the BBC app was spot on for today's streamers which is a surprise ❄️

• Like 1

Posted

Perhaps some more general streamers setting up later this evening and overnight for some lucky areas. Will be quite localised narrow bands though and will be frustrating for some when you are just a mile away! Luck of the draw.

Etswnr2WgAA734N.jpg

Edited by Southender
  • Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, yamkin said:

The MetO's mobile app is all over the place most times, but the BBC app was spot on for today's streamers which is a surprise ❄️

Interestingly, it’s already reduced Saturday’s temperature from 7 to 4! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings
5 minutes ago, Country Boy said:

To be fair , countries that get regular snowfall are better set up for it. We don't often get disruptive snow so are not.

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

Euro4 still has us down for another 10cm or so, but doesn't quite seem to align with other modelling of possible streamers, which tend to be further North and more W-E aligned than we would generally want.

Its quite possible the Euro4 will be right, you wouldn't need to be very far out on the wind direction to shift the main zone of snow north or south a fair amount.

We won't know until it starts to form...indeed that is still an if it forms! You can never be sure with these types of things and the models are pretty poor typically, even the high resolution ones, at predicting them.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Southender said:

Perhaps some more general streamers setting up later this evening and overnight for some lucky areas. Will be quite localised narrow bands though and will be frustrating for some when you are a just mile away! Luck of the draw.

Etswnr2WgAA734N.jpg

Looks like one is dead on canterbury. Still snowing here lightly! Has all morning. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Country Boy said:

Maybe you wouldn't be so keen if it were you out all day making the deliveries

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

That really is an amazing graphic if that came off.A large part of EA will have 20cms and some will have half a metre of snow!!dont think I have ever seen that before for anywhere south of the Midlands in 9 years of being on this forum.Even a cheeky red bit in Kent showing 40cms.Imagine if it comes off this place will go bananas!!image.png.281b71f302ff09996902db72d94f6250.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Well been under the streamer all morning, was all fine flakes but now has suddenly  picked up a bit with bigger flakes. Not exactly white out conditions but was expecting zilch here so very nice to look at.

Edited by 80sWeather
  • Like 2

Posted

Snizzle all morning, just like overnight and yesterday. An icy cm on the grass and some damp pavements to show for it! Still awaiting a heavier burst and hoping for a streamer 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Not sure why we’re getting any melt here at all today....bins had a covering on them overnight, hasn’t stopped snowing since 7am, below freezing and it’s melted?!

Posted
Just now, mb018538 said:

Not sure why we’re getting any melt here at all today....bins had a covering on them overnight, hasn’t stopped snowing since 7am, below freezing and it’s melted?!

Sublimation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Nothing on the radar for south London but's still snowing in Streatham 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Alpine glow said:

A dusting in Brighton. It's looking like we will top up though going by the radar

I lived in Woodingdean as a child, we got very deep snow and drifts, lots of people think Brighton being on the coast escapes, but you dont have too go far inland too get the drifting snow. Enjoy and take care.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Hotspur62 said:

That really is an amazing graphic if that came off.A large part of EA will have 20cms and some will have half a metre of snow!!dont think I have ever seen that before for anywhere south of the Midlands in 9 years of being on this forum.Even a cheeky red bit in Kent showing 40cms.Imagine if it comes off this place will go bananas!!image.png.281b71f302ff09996902db72d94f6250.png

Why is there always a london-shaped hole carved out in these maps!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
11 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Appears that the Esturary is drying up now - provided a nice couple of hours this moring for the North of kent, into South London 

Greedy I know but why is it drying up at present I really felt it was starting up ? @kold weather and views on this please? you do seem to be our resident Streamer expert  and when might we expect any refiring of the streamers please? 

I think there will be a little light snow on and off here in NW Kent until late afternoon.My understanding and just using experience of past events the period of Thames streamer will be from about 6pm tonight till about 9-12 tomorrow morning.Some of the High resolution models have Orpington in the firing line so if it comes off there could be substantial snow overnight.This is just my take on it but as you say Kold Weather is the SE thread expert so probably best to get his analysis

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
35 minutes ago, Mark wheeler said:

Yep all riders are being asked to stand down across many home delivery services . Click and collect only . Not just Asda .

I'm not sure they would enjoy my road, pure ice where cars have been driving, but at least it's flat. But the hilly ones to get up here, are the same.

Posted
56 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

So surely there are no posters who say the Amber wasnt warranted now ?? I know not every area in the Amber got what an Amber warning deserved but plenty of places did. When Storm warnings are Issued not every place in those warnings get a Storm for Instance.

Some places now well over 20cm and with roads closed and drifting and stories of tractors rescuing people trapped etc. Add into that quite exceptional  temperatures for a Maritime Island not rising above -2c then surely the people saying the Amber should not have been Issued can say it certainly was. 

I think the Met Office have done a great job with the risk zones and the timings of things.

What happened here, which I'm sure has been widespread, is settling snow away from concrete/tarmac through Sunday morning and afternoon, followed by a freeze on Sunday night which turned paths and roads into skating rinks. Now there's a layer of fresh snow on top of that. Perhaps we haven't reached the deep snow depths forecast yet (there's still time) but could conditions underfoot and for driving be any worse than fresh snow on top of sheet ice?

Also I've got to say that the wind here yesterday was relentless, even when the snow was light it was so bitter you wouldn't want to be outside for more than a few minutes.

Posted

Light snow continues here in Bromley. I’m prime location for a Thames streamer so here’s hoping. Hard to gauge how much accumulation as it keeps drifting but I’ve got a few drifts that look about 10-15cm so I imagine something like 7/8cm has actually fallen

• Like 2