Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Did anyone else have to put a kettle of hot water on their condensate waste pipe from the boiler this morning? Yeah that was me at 6am this morning, as the boiler was making horrific gurgling noises. Fun. Not.

Edited by Southender

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Still lightly snowing in brighton - sooo light.  Are we going to get a taste of these cm's coming later?  The radar and met office outlook with the snow symbols look promising.  Normally i'd be volunteering at the Botanic Garden at Heartwood / Emerson College in Forest Row on Mondays.  Too risky to drive so need to play in the woods instead

Edited by Alpine glow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

For the 1st time in this spell it’s snowing and starting to settle on all surfaces.

• Like 2

Posted

Morning all

A reasonable covering in lowland East London but no more than a couple of cm in depth.

It's that light snow that takes time to accumulate rather than the heavy wet flakes in more marginal situations.

The other aspect is the air temperature remains below freezing even here only 6 miles from the City. Currently -2c. Will it be an ice day? I suspect we'll get to zero for a short while in early afternoon but I imagine it'll be an ice day for a lot of people in our area.

I expect snow on and off for most of the day but accumulations still struggling but it's going to stick rather than rapidly melt as often happens.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
1 hour ago, SHM040519 said:

still relatively heavy in canterbury! Crazy! 

Nice to see it's covered the roads and pathways all the way up to Herne Bay, as you head towards hythe though it's really bad. Drifting up stone street - Stelling Minnis etc

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Southender said:

Did anyone else have to put a kettle of hot water on their condensate waste pipe from the boiler this morning? Yeah that was me at 6am this morning, as the boiler was making horrific gurgling noises. Fun. Not.

Nope, mine goes into the waste pipe under the sink

Posted
Just now, Neilsouth said:

Nice to see it's covered the roads and pathways all the way up to Herne Bay, as you head towards hythe though it's really bad. Drifting up stone street - Stelling Minnis etc

Yes that doesn’t surprise me as it’s rural! Think we are at 9cm now on areas where it laid instantly. There’s a risk of more throughout the next few days which is good!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

got a few more centimetres of snow it seems when I woke up, it's just bits and pieces falling right now so not expecting much today.

Posted

Been light snow all morning here and still coming down. Met Office showing heavier snow later from about 5pm - 11pm.

@kold weather I must be in a good area for later I'm guessing - not a million miles away from your old stomping ground! 

Posted

Light snow here after a dusting overnight.

Min temp last night  -3.4C  Currently  -2.3C

Posted

Last night, about 10pm, checked the weather report from Biggin Hill - 'Low drifting snow', which summed it up perfectly. Parts of the local field where I walk the dog were in drifts up to my shins. 

• Like 2

Posted

Road closures around here, utter madness as some people are still trying to drive in it. Cars moving about 5mph collided just up my road. Poor gasway man in van got stuck outside my house, so tried to help him, but couldnt get it out of snow, luckily a rescue truck, who had been removing the collided cars, saw, reversed down the road and managed to pull him out.  Even 4x4s are getting stuck and have to be abandoned.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
22 minutes ago, southbank said:

that do me !!! yep 09 was prob a once in a life time experience for a london borough having 10 inches that night

We did get about half an hour of proper snow at about 9am - with bigger flakes and more intensity - exciting to see, but back to dandruff now.  Of course 2009 is the benchmark arounds here to which all other events will be compared to (until it is surpassed)- that and my favourite - 1987

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Blazerblue said:

Snow over a foot in places here in east suffolk, well over the top of my wellies, snow fell in the front door as I opened it this morning! No roads are passable from our town, even the rescue vehicles and gritters cant get out, drifting is a major problem. And its still snowing. This is far more than we had in 2018. I fear my food delivery wont be getting here from Lowestoft today, no way the delivery van will make it through. Luckilly I can get by foot, just, to the local Co-op for emergency supplies. Take care anyone whose out on the roads this morning and if you dont need to go, then stay home, far safer.

EDIT. Just had message from Asda, to tell me they have cancelled my order due to not being able to deliver today for the safety of their drivers. Hope they refund my money then, I dont know why Asda seem to think its ok to take the money a day prior to delivery.

They will don't worry, unless it's not fully cancelled, just postponed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Very light snow still

Temp -1.5

Leaden skies.

Beautiful.

Hoping for some showers this eve..

20210208_101626.jpg

20210208_101522.jpg

20210208_101712.jpg

20210208_101439.jpg

20210208_101459.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

I saw some very small flakes this morning, I get so excited and probably way too fixated on the pink that I assume it will be winter Wonderland if my dot is under it! I’ve been under it quite a while with nothing but a few tiny flakes! 

i must write 100 times! 

I will just wait and see  

temp -0.8

dp -3.2 

Farnham, Surrey 

• Like 2

Posted

In excess of 12 hours of tiny flakes blowing in the wind yesterday finally yielded some icy deposits on cars and garden furniture last night once the temperature fell low enough. Overnight the mini streamer also left a slippery covering on the roads and pavements. 

As @Nick F @kold weather and @snowking have mentioned this morning, the chances of disturbances and streamers are improving, so fingers crossed ❄️

Meanwhile, the snizzle looks more promising than yesterday, and here is a pic of our dandruff covering. 

IMG_20210208_102234.jpg

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

So surely there are no posters who say the Amber wasnt warranted now ?? I know not every area in the Amber got what an Amber warning deserved but plenty of places did. When Storm warnings are Issued not every place in those warnings get a Storm for Instance.

Some places now well over 20cm and with roads closed and drifting and stories of tractors rescuing people trapped etc. Add into that quite exceptional  temperatures for a Maritime Island not rising above -2c then surely the people saying the Amber should not have been Issued can say it certainly was. 

I think the Met Office have done a great job with the risk zones and the timings of things.

Aye Paul... too many peeps view MetO warnings as 'failed' promises of xcm of level snow?!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny
6 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

So surely there are no posters who say the Amber wasnt warranted now ?? I know not every area in the Amber got what an Amber warning deserved but plenty of places did. When Storm warnings are Issued not every place in those warnings get a Storm for Instance.

Some places now well over 20cm and with roads closed and drifting and stories of tractors rescuing people trapped etc. Add into that quite exceptional  temperatures for a Maritime Island not rising above -2c then surely the people saying the Amber should not have been Issued can say it certainly was. 

I think the Met Office have done a great job with the risk zones and the timings of things.

Yup, a minority of posters were way too quick to call it a bust yesterday morning.

Woke up to about 2cm with the odd 10-20cm wind sculpted drifts here.

There's even a 1cm layer in central London today (where the snow hasn't been blown away or ruined by grit!).  Pretty happy so far! ❄️

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Roadrunner said:

Been light snow all morning here and still coming down. Met Office showing heavier snow later from about 5pm - 11pm.

@kold weather I must be in a good area for later I'm guessing - not a million miles away from your old stomping ground! 

Yeah as long as there isn;t too much northerly element in the ENE you should get some activity if it forms. Some of the models are a little borderline for SW.essex in particular and putting the higher totals more into NW Kent and SE London. worth keeping an eye on though as it really wouldn't take much of an angle error in the steering current for that to be further north.

Yep indeed pretty close to Romford, used to take the old 370 bus from lakeside to Romford sometimes back in the day as it stopped almost literally outside my front door down South Road in Ockendon, which was convinent. 

I might have to go back down that way post lockdown, its been a while, just for memory sake!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very warm (not hot!)

Reasonable amount of snizzle here in West London, the slightest of coverings (if you look hard enough) , at least it looks nice.

• Like 1

Posted

Constant very light to light snow, topping up the sugar coating. Was hopeful for that blob of precipitation north of Chelmsford, although it seems to be dying a death now !

Edited by Mark Bayley
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

very light snow, been like it a while. The houses are melting what little we had.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder and lightning

I have got 2cm of powder snow in Hertford Hertfordshire (North London) and it is still lightly snowing. Better than nothing. 

IMG_2029.thumb.JPG.8487a6f5cbc3e2a6be93b4882baa5ecf.JPG

• Like 1