South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
16 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

Snow has increased a little in intensity now to around 4/10

yep  3/4 here in Sutton on the Voldermore Scale LOL

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
6 minutes ago, North Easterly Breeze said:

Re tonight/tomorrow... ❄️

4E39D1A4-37C2-4942-AE79-869C9F1656BE.jpeg

I am trying to fathom how at the moment my location ends up with close to 20cm of snow by the close of play (Some point on Wednesday). No real sign of anything making it this far with sufficient intensity at the moment.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul Sherman said:

I know we call it the TSS or Thames Snow Streamer but by rights it should be called the DPCZ (Dengie Peninsular Convergence Zone) 

That unique part of Essex and its shape perpendicular to the Coast sees winds from 3 different heights at 600mb/700mb and the Steering flow converge to create lift against the land (frictional drag effect) and you find showers will always form in the same place (eg SE Of Clacton) and then spread WSW into the London area and SE London and if strong enough parts of Surrey and Hampshire.

I am seeing a decent window around 9pm until 3am tomorrow morning and checking on the charts atm

Arpege agrees with some decent totals into SE London and NW Kent.

overview_20210208_00_024.jpg

This would align with what I just posted about and the anticipated snow showing on the Dutch radar!

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Yeah same here, the current snowfall whilst light is turning into a actual legitimate dusting with things going more white on surfaces. Even hints of white now within the grass. This is about as good as I expected it could be so anything above this point is a bonus, and obviously any streamer is a wildcard solution.

@yamkin - I hope I'm wrong about it not being too strong of a streamer though, I'd love another strong event that drops 15-30cms across a large area. I'm thinking more 5-10cms though if it does come off and over a longer time period than 09.

that do me !!! yep 09 was prob a once in a life time experience for a london borough having 10 inches that night

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

I am trying to fathom how at the moment my location ends up with close to 20cm of snow by the close of play (Some point on Wednesday). No real sign of anything making it this far with sufficient intensity at the moment.

i also find it hard to believe we could over double our current amount to 40cm here, that’s another 24hr of snow at the rate it is currently

Posted
4 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

I am seeing a decent window around 9pm until 3am tomorrow morning and checking on the charts atm

Arpege agrees with some decent totals into SE London and NW Kent.

Yeah I agree with this, I don't think we are going to go too major with it at the moment, but 5-6hrs of even moderate snow is going to rwally add up.

I also see there maybe a window on Tuesday morning through to early afternoon, though I'm less confident with that then tonight which I think I've been flagging up for a few days now as a possible zone. 

Models do tend to struggle with this area as they are quite the pest to forecast. Seen both busts and also terrible under estimates. Lets hope we are in the latter grouping this time!

• Like 2

Posted

Moderate snow just east of Dorking now. Radar looks interesting. Precipitation seems to be building and heading due west in the estuary before taking a dive more SE once it reaches just east of London. Hoping for a 2009 style streamer this evening...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
6 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

I'll take that 7cm added to the 15 I have already..

• Like 1

Posted

Much the same around here as yesterday, very fine snow falling, struggling to settle on paths and roads which have been cleared. 

Image from work right now sort of sums it up! 

snow.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Despite only having very light snow falling here, for me having ice days like this is what a proper cold spell is all about, rather than the slushy mess of temporary snow to rain events with maybe more quantity of snow.  When you know everything is crisp outside and that the snow on the ground is going nowhere fast, it's a nice feeling to just let events unfold with the chance that some heavier snow showers might unpredictably arrive at some point. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006
Just now, kold weather said:

Yeah I agree with this, I don't think we are going to go too major with it at the moment, but 5-6hrs of even moderate snow is going to rwally add up.

I also see there maybe a window on Tuesday morning through to early afternoon, though I'm less confident with that then tonight which I think I've been flagging up for a few days now as a possible zone. 

Models do tend to struggle with this area as they are quite the pest to forecast. Seen both busts and also terrible under estimates. Lets hope we are in the latter grouping this time!

Think it worthy of an amber?

They issued one for parts of Yorkshire early this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Just done my duty as snow patrol man for my local roads as they are never gritted and also gives me a chance to be outside in it ..win win❄️

Also got the wife involved as well!!

85E29277-5F8F-4457-9181-0709E0560D49.jpeg

1439CF39-6AD2-42DE-8960-96325D4573AF.jpeg

Edited by Hotspur62
  • Like 6

Posted
14 minutes ago, Marie said:

Piles of it !! No lol but we got snow

well, at least it reached you, and still lots of time for some more, wind direction permitting. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
26 minutes ago, Snipper said:

Who was saying the other day it never snows in Brighton. Looks like there is piles of it this morning.

34ECDD01-F54D-4C67-A154-14D28CA69A93.png

To be fair that is shoreham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Gillingham with a nice layer now, snow still falling slowly.

All it would take would be a solid 2 hours of medium/heavy fall for some depth to accumulate...

Posted
1 minute ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Think it worthy of an amber?

They issued one for parts of Yorkshire early this morning.

If it forms then an amber will likely be needed across S.Essex, W.Kent (probably further north but wind flow is key) S.London and maybe into E.Surrey. I personally think the yellow covers things further west in the track.

At the moment Tuesday's snowfall is a yellow but thst is more due to lower confidence. Should the confidence increase I;m sure regions of amber warnings will be issued at some point. But they may wait until its already underway given there is alot of uncertainty with track still.

• Like 3

Posted
44 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

Dumped another cm of snow making it 7 cm here. It doesn't look to be stopping all that too soon either.

image.thumb.png.28b1fb655e2cda4ba371c57edca6385a.png

Still going here. No sign of it easing or anything. Radar sort of shows it just sitting on us for hours, albeit light, but will add more! 

• Like 2

Posted

-3c and DP of -4.1c here, with moderate snow. Been out with the car to check the road, and untreated surfaces are lethal. The rain yesterday morning froze and then got covered in snow, which has all compacted. The bin lorry decided not to even attempt our little slope - fair enough. Looks like this is going to continue for much of the day.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

This event makes up for the 3 very near misses this winter so far.added a cm to 5 from yesterday and really trying to contain my excitement re possible streamer.If and it is an if that were to happen we are in firing line here!!.Think window of opportunity is from 6pm today till about 6am tomorrow.If it happens will be looking at double figures in cm depth!!Allowed to dream but must calm down.My wife thinks I am a nutter and tbf she probably has a point lol!!

current temp -2.5 and a biting wind with light to moderate snow since 8.30 this morning.just had a lovely cup of hot chocolate watching the snow fall..lovely

Good luck and a lot more of SE gets hit in next 24-30 hours.stay safe

• Like 3