South East, London and East Anglia regional discussion - 8th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Getting there!! And it’s still snowing, albeit quite light

8E797A3E-C23A-4E36-9B6F-D3F45DF3D85A.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted

Moderate  medium sized flakes now falling. Looks like this can go on all day, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms in summer, cold/snow in winter
22 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

Moderate dandruff here currently.

Hoping to match 8 cm from BFTE

Yes seems to be picking up again here. Would have thought you'd have reached that level by now but difficult to tell with all the wind!

Posted
1 minute ago, Howie said:

When will it turn easterly for us? I thought this was meant to happen already by last night?

It already is starting to shift, take a look at the showers over Essex and Kent and note the direction of travel. Its probably somewhere between NE and ENE at the moment.

It is going to shift around a little during the day as the steering currents are shifting around a little during the day from ENE to NE and then back to a more firm ENE some point this evening. This is due to a little low to our SE that is shifting around with a little kink in the flow on its NW side that should clear southwards which flattens the flow through to a more classic ENE which is the same further north.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Full covering in Chingford this morning,  a good 2/3cm’s lying - nothing compared to folks out in the far east of the region (!) - but much better than yesterday. Love the powdery snow and how it blows into little drifts. No hint of marginality or snow melt. This is proper cold! Love it. 

Hopefully looking forward to more convection today. That band which moved through the region in the early hours was totally unexpected and shows how things pop up at short notice in these set ups. So never write off seeing snow in your area. The models really don’t do well. 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

It already is starting to shift, take a look at the showers over Essex and Kent and note the direction of travel. Its probably somewhere between NE and ENE at the moment.

It is going to shift around a little during the day as the steering currents are shifting around a little during the day from ENE to NE and then back to a more firm ENE some point this evening. This is due to a little low to our SE that is shifting around with a little kink in the flow on its NW side that should clear southwards which flattens the flow through to a more classic ENE which is the same further north.

Thank you

Posted

Took this photo this morning after waking up to yet more snow..

I'm still amazed at how much of a difference of snow between the areas in one county.

Hope everyone, that wants it  gets a decent amount of snow out there.

20210208_083038.jpg

Edited by Natty68
  • Like 3

Posted

With regard to wind direction as well as shower direction, we need to remember that its not the surface flow that will dictate the direction but the flow a little above out heads. Current flow at 850hpa is thus:

image.thumb.png.6b5d0ded8ef3d38fbd5ca0d4ab3b4187.png

Given the convection is quite thin I'd guess at the moment, we don't need to go high for a steering current, but in deeper convection 700mbs+ maybe more useful. I'm sure Paul S could give a better explanation though as its key in storm chasing!!

Usually there isn;t much difference but at times there can be. Yesterday evening was one of those days where the lower flow was near due north (NNE) but the airflow higher up was ENE/E, hence why the shower bands shifted westwards as the forcing at higher levels was forced Westwards but kept moving SSW on the lower airflow currents.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Snow pepping up here in NE Surrey, hopefully a few more cms, will go sledging this morning with the boy, even though he should be home-schooling.

Will have a look at the charts to see if any more organised / heavier snow is likely later / overnight. Need to leave for work at 5.30am tomorrow morning, so bit concerned of road conditions, bearing in mind only way out  of where I live is down steep hills.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

Mad dog eating the snow outta his water bowl

Screenshot_20210208-085839_Gallery.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Snow is probably a 2 on the Voldemort scale (he who should not be named...)

very light snizzle type stuff at the moment but it’s very cold out there!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

Need to leave for work at 5.30am tomorrow morning, so bit concerned of road conditions, bearing mind only way out  of where I live is down steep hills.

Yeah I will have similar issues as I'm on  bit of incline, and my car doesn't handle trying to climb icy roads at all well. I might move the car later into a place where its easier to access and get away.

The fact I'm talking about this shows how I think things have got more favourable for the western part of this region in the morning runs.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
57 minutes ago, Hurricane Squad said:

Still snowing here a few more hours and I might make a snowman.

Do you mean a snowperson, Xander? You'll get the PC Brigade all upset!

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, kold weather said:

With regard to wind direction as well as shower direction, we need to remember that its not the surface flow that will dictate the direction but the flow a little above out heads. Current flow at 850hpa is thus:

image.thumb.png.6b5d0ded8ef3d38fbd5ca0d4ab3b4187.png

Given the convection is quite thin I'd guess at the moment, we don't need to go high for a steering current, but in deeper convection 700mbs+ maybe more useful. I'm sure Paul S could give a better explanation though as its key in storm chasing!!

Usually there isn;t much difference but at times there can be. Yesterday evening was one of those days where the lower flow was near due north (NNE) but the airflow higher up was ENE/E, hence why the shower bands shifted westwards as the forcing at higher levels was forced Westwards but kept moving SSW on the lower airflow currents.

Hi mate, do you when thing might become more favorable for us in North london? Cheers 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

The sky looks full of it today , nothing falling at the moment .My little bit of snow in my garden

1D382BFA-F3BD-471B-98ED-83A59A5D15F6.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

Had a covering on all paths and roads overnight in Hampstead from the band of PPN that crossed around 3/4am. That was more than I expected so can’t complain.

It’ll be a shame if there isn’t a widespread snow event for this region before the end of this cold snap, the snow 2 weeks ago was much more exciting and it melted by the evening! 

Enjoy the large amounts of snow everyone to the East

Posted
1 minute ago, General Cluster said:

Do you mean a snowperson, Xander? You'll get the PC Brigade all upset!

And if you want to be super 'woke', try building a BAME snowperson

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms, Heavy snow

Wow, this is the most snow I've EVER seen. I just measured the top of our shed as it's a nice flat surface. Measured 22cm of level snow! Just East of Ipswich.

My Dad was saying that an ambulance couldn't get through to a local village so had to have the farmer take them on his tractor. They had to go on the fields because the road was impassable.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
16 minutes ago, East Kent Snow Desert said:

Yes seems to be picking up again here. Would have thought you'd have reached that level by now but difficult to tell with all the wind!

I'll pop out and properly look at the ruler in a min but the snow doesn't seem to as powdery as yesterday. 

20210208_091627.thumb.jpg.e6b3d12cc526937688d0efdd0d54d542.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Yeah I will have similar issues as I'm on  bit of incline, and my car doesn't handle trying to climb icy roads at all well. I might move the car later into a place where its easier to access and get away.

The fact I'm talking about this shows how I think things have got more favourable for the western part of this region in the morning runs.

Been snowing here in Windlesham all morning albeit light.. Have good dusting now and covering.. 

Looking good for some streamers later 

• Like 1