Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Feb 2021 Onward

Summer of 95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it

Yes I totally agree Matt. Some people are being weirdly sulky and even borderline aggressive about this weeks weather just because it's not the end of days or something . All very odd. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

ah well the snow that fell over night has now all but melted except on patches of grass just been looking at the BBC weather app and by Monday we enter double digit temperature if I write the BBC use ECMWF do they not and I was wandering if that’s what the ECM is showing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

Coming down all morning, transitioning between light and heavy. Currently coming down thick and fast. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
8 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

1981/82 was something to witness, that was cold, my sister had a burst tap, and when my Dad and i went over there to pick one or two things up for her, the carpet crunched under our feet, as the ice in the carpet had frozen solid. Alsp had 6 foot drifts, 18" of level snowfall, minimum temp that year was over in Shropshire - Shawbury i think, it touched -26C.

That is incredible. Shows how brutal it was when taps burst and carpets freeze over. Sorry your Sister had that happen though Must have not been easy at all. -26*C is certainly something you don’t see often! Like being in a different world  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I can understand the frustration - our Winters are very short, any cold spells are infrequent and comparatively weak (excluding the obvious exceptions) and we never know with any degree of certainty if/when the next one will come along. In fact, it's so uncertain that we can go years without seeing a single flake of snow. It is frustrating. 

The aggression towards people over something no one has any control over, is slightly concerning though. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
1 hour ago, gig1968 said:

This cold spell has really been a big anti climax. Built up to be the worst of the winter, copious  amounts of snow . Named by many the beast of the east. Well in birminggam it's been crap. The snow a week or so ago was far better lasted longer let the kids play in it, and wasn't ramped up half as much as this one. 

Here here well said I couldn’t agree more this cold spell was really hyper top over here on the model thread.

Posted
3 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

ah well the snow that fell over night has now all but melted except on patches of grass just been looking at the BBC weather app and by Monday we enter double digit temperature if I write the BBC use ECMWF do they not and I was wandering if that’s what the ECM is showing.

Looking at the model output, it looks like we might see a brief warm up.

Very positive Met Office update today though. Only mention of mild is in the far west at times.

42473850-30BC-4777-B45D-EF0485E4E3E7.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it

Heaviest shower yet blowing through. 3rd day of snow showers blown in on a freezing East wind. Another hard frost to follow. Proper winter weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, syed2878 said:

Here here well said I couldn’t agree more this cold spell was really hyper top over here on the model thread.

Over a foot in many areas  was spoken about    

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

There was no shortage of showers yesterday, they were just a bit rubbish, too sugar grain like & lacked any strength by the time they arrived. Even looking at places further east like Sheikhy’s, amounts were pretty small given the volume of showers/streamers that rattled through.

I think I actually saw more lying snow in the Feb05 easterly than this one, simply due to some of the showers at night or first thing being a lot heavier back then.

The cold is impressive, it felt pretty bone chilling running 7k in it on Sunday PM, but the wind wasn’t quite as strong as 2018.

As things stand I doubt I’ll remember much about this spell in years to come, other than it being a bit of a let down.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, weirpig said:

Over a foot in many areas  was spoken about    

I’ve got friends in Kent, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk who have seen near to a foot of snow with more to come. Some haven’t seen snow in 8 years.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

I’ve got friends in Kent, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk who have seen near to a foot of snow with more to come. Some haven’t seen snow in 8 years.

I was talking more widely   as in  most regions 

Posted
12 minutes ago, weirpig said:

I was talking more widely   as in  most regions 

Only people I saw saying that were the media, who always talk rubbish.

Some severe conditions in Scotland too, even by their standards. A good few feet of snow in areas that are always snowy but don’t often see as much as that. They’ve recorded some of the lowest U.K. temperatures in several years. Got down to -16.7’C last night and expected to drop even lower the next few nights.

ECM has temperatures dropping to -11’C in London by Thursday morning. That’s really exceptional for down there. Very cold for the Midlands too but not really exceptionally so.

Honestly, if had never leaved the South East, this spell would rank in one of my top 5 of all time. Their winters are so poor and this has really delivered for some of them.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Looking at the model output, it looks like we might see a brief warm up.

Very positive Met Office update today though. Only mention of mild is in the far west at times.

42473850-30BC-4777-B45D-EF0485E4E3E7.jpeg

Thanks Mat. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
2 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

Thanks Mat. 

This was issued in the night last night

This afternoon's update is key.

Posted
5 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Only people I saw saying that were the media, who always talk rubbish.

Some severe conditions in Scotland too, even by their standards. A good few feet of snow in areas that are always snowy but don’t often see as much as that. They’ve recorded some of the lowest U.K. temperatures in several years. Got down to -16.7’C last night and expected to drop even lower the next few nights.

ECM has temperatures dropping to -11’C in London by Thursday morning. That’s really exceptional for down there. Very cold for the Midlands too but not really exceptionally so.

There were some in the model thread  speaking of armegedon     but i agree some have done well     And im very happy     as our location  isnt always the best placed for an easterly 

Posted
7 minutes ago, Climate Man said:

This was issued in the night last night

This afternoon's update is key.

That’s the updated one because it runs from Sunday, with the nearer term update running to Saturday. The longer term one hasn’t been updated though. 

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
Just now, weirpig said:

There were some in the model thread  speaking of armegedon     but i agree some have done well     And im very happy     as our location  isnt always the best placed for an easterly 

That’s the model thread for you Very south east biased in there too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
14 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

That’s the updated one because it runs from Sunday, with the nearer term update running to Saturday. The longer term one hasn’t been updated though. 

Ok  thanks!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Andypvfc said:

As I'm pretty new to all this Weather lark, can someone tell me what FI means in the model thread.

Fantasy Island. It’s saying something is way beyond the reliable timeframe and so unlikely to happen.

• Like 1