Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Feb 2021 Onward

Summer of 95

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Dropped to -4c here this morning, lovely clear blue skys current with no wind to speak of and temp -2c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Lovely day today. Only got up to about 14 °C, but with light winds and non-stop sunshine it felt very pleasant even in a T-shirt. And with the clear air and low humidity it was a fantastic day for walking, so I did a fairly large circuit outside Bewdley. Lots of people doing the same. Honestly, most of the time I'd prefer this to 32 °C and August stickiness. Only really interested in really hot weather if it's so hot that records are possible.

• Like 1

Posted

As nice as it is, it's starting to get a bit worrying for farmers as the ground is so dry for the time of year. Nice and still this evening here, after - 5 last night the range has gone on again with another frost tonight. Tomato plants are on the dinning table again..

• Like 1

Posted

Bit hazier this morning, but turned into another perfect Spring day by afternoon. 17C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

It’s been a great few days, blue skies and temperatures have been especially when sitting in the beer garden

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It looks likely that this month will be the first since I began recording at this site 44  years ago with no fog recorded at any time of day. There was fog above 330 mts on the morning of the 12th, but not at station level, and visibility on the evening of the 28th was down to 1200 mts for a few hours but never got below the 1000m mark.

Prior to this month the least foggy months here were March 1995 with 0.5 hrs, June 2006 with 1 hour and April 2017 with 1.5 hrs of fog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
20 minutes ago, el tiempo said:

bit sleety atm

Aye, not 'pure rain' more like bits of melted hail falling with rain

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

A seriously grotty morning here atm, 4.7 °C and raining. Really feeling cold outside. Not particularly surprised to hear of sleetiness a bit further north. Looks a little bit better tomorrow, but the less said about Monday the better!

Posted

Disappointing start today. Currently, both MetO and BBC text forecasts say something along the lines of "bright to start with sunny spells" but here at least that's already wrong. It's completely overcast. Bank Holiday weather is here, it seems! At least it's not currently raining....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Dull start here, although looking a little brighter to the NE.

Hopefully things can brighten later.   Current temp 6C. MIn overnight 1.3C.

Haven't reported much during April, but an incredibly dry month here. MY WX station has only shown 2.7mms for the whole month. We seemed to miss the nights rainfall on Monday /Tuesday by a millimeter, as friends in Knowle reported that their water butts had filled up.

The situation is now getting quite serious for my newly planted veg.

On the plus side I have not had to mow my lawns for the last 5-6 weeks, due to the combination of the dry weather with the frequent night frosts has curtailed any growth. 

Be interested to see where this month ends up in the weather records.

MIA

Posted
On 01/05/2021 at 09:21, Midlands Ice Age said:

Dull start here, although looking a little brighter to the NE.

Hopefully things can brighten later.   Current temp 6C. MIn overnight 1.3C.

Haven't reported much during April, but an incredibly dry month here. MY WX station has only shown 2.7mms for the whole month. We seemed to miss the nights rainfall on Monday /Tuesday by a millimeter, as friends in Knowle reported that their water butts had filled up.

The situation is now getting quite serious for my newly planted veg.

On the plus side I have not had to mow my lawns for the last 5-6 weeks, due to the combination of the dry weather with the frequent night frosts has curtailed any growth. 

Be interested to see where this month ends up in the weather records.

MIA

Ended up a day of sunny periods and occasional showers. The temp dropped down to about 5C in the showers.

Overnight it became clear and we had a hard frost at dawn this morning.  (-1.3C)

It will not have done the fruit trees any good at all, as they were just bursting into bud..

MIA

• Like 1

Posted

What an amazing day weather wise

log burner back on 

• Like 1

Posted

18.0 mm of rain up to 1700 g.m.t making it the wettest day since Jan' 27th. Still a bit more to come too by the look of the radar.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

Amazing Sky after the Squall line passed through!

62AD26EB-F5C5-4D10-90AA-05772AF9968F.jpeg

BB266474-1927-4038-8B3B-3AA4622BA4C0.jpeg

220B0EFE-05E6-444C-ABE6-42E29B374483.jpeg

Edited by phil b
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, phil b said:

Amazing Sky after the Squall line passed through!

62AD26EB-F5C5-4D10-90AA-05772AF9968F.jpeg

BB266474-1927-4038-8B3B-3AA4622BA4C0.jpeg

220B0EFE-05E6-444C-ABE6-42E29B374483.jpeg

Phil..

Beautiful snaps

It sure was a sight here also, but I did not see the mammatus that you have pictures so well.

MIA  

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

Almost 3 times rainfall the we had last last month already here ?️☔

Edited by phil b

Posted

Moderate sleet here with the temperature at 1.6c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
55 minutes ago, Terminal Moraine said:

Moderate sleet here with the temperature at 1.6c.

You wouldn’t believe it was May 

DF3CAF3D-B7AD-4C02-88FF-3A87C8A0654A.thumb.jpeg.236be0c3a26d5130999e8e99a1bcda32.jpeg

Posted

Don't know whether there are any stattos out there ( or oldies like me) . Memory tells me that May Bank Holiday in one of the years 1995/6/7 on the Friday before the weekend outside work soaking up the sun no jacket needed,  went to work on the holiday Monday with a couple of inches of snow on the ground. Also, early mid 80s around the 2nd week of May  heavy rain turned to snow in the evening,  Hanley park had contrasting pink blossomed trees snow covered grass and wet grey paths criss crossing . No mobiles to take photos then, unfortunately. 

Posted

9 hours ago, el tiempo said:

Don't know whether there are any stattos out there ( or oldies like me) . Memory tells me that May Bank Holiday in one of the years 1995/6/7 on the Friday before the weekend outside work soaking up the sun no jacket needed,  went to work on the holiday Monday with a couple of inches of snow on the ground. Also, early mid 80s around the 2nd week of May  heavy rain turned to snow in the evening,  Hanley park had contrasting pink blossomed trees snow covered grass and wet grey paths criss crossing . No mobiles to take photos then, unfortunately. 

I think your May day holiday memory of snow is probably from 1997 as I recorded sleet or snow on the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th with lying snow for a time on the morning of the 7th. The event in the early/mid 80s could have been from 1983 when sleet and wet snow fell ( here ) on the 9th, or from 1987 with sleet and snow on the 14th and 15th.