Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Feb 2021 Onward

Summer of 95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

I must say models are looking absolutely uninspiring for the next 10 14 days very disappointed we didn’t really get anything from this cold spell I know March can produce snow and cold how ever synoptically it would have to be something very notable like 2013 or 2018 march. This year I cannot see this happening even the Met office have changed the wording on their extended outlook gon is snow showers developing in the east also disruptive snow fall. Cold wise this winter have been good even snow wise how ever it hasn’t been settling snow all over that’s what disappoints me we had the ingredient for a notable winter and snow events it wasn’t to be. agree some places here even in the Midlands had many days of settling snow this wasn’t the case everywhere only one settling slow event we had here.

• Like 1

Posted

Could be the last day for snow symbols on your weather apps for a while 

so enjoy them ❄️

I’ll give it 7 days max until we’re chasing again ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Aye, boring and dry coming up, looks like 9 degrees most days, have a feeling heat from 20th will downgrade, and we'll be stuck with dry boring and 9-12 degrees

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A busy week coming up now we're starting to thaw out, will be able to get into the garden and do some clearing up and give the veg patch a dig over, A windy day here so far with low cloud and drizzle. Still got around 90% snow cover which is more like solid ice..

Temp currently 0c

Wind chill -4c

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The temperature's dropped 1.3c in the last hour here from 0.6c to -0.7c, with intermittent freezing drizzle.

Posted

March 2013 made fools of us all after a false start to Springlike weather, can this March do the same?

Like most others, I’d rather see snow and cold at this time of year, but if mild sun is coming, might as well make the most of it and enjoy it.

There’s nothing we can do to change it so might as well make the most of it irrespective of what month it is. I’d rather it wasn’t coming...but it is...and it might feel pleasant once it’s here. I’m certainly not going to sit indoors and be a grump about it because ‘it shouldn’t be here yet and we’ve still got all of Spring and Summer to come.’

If it ends up bringing rain, then yes, full on turned up to 11 grump!

Edited by Gord

Posted

I’m not going to be going out an ‘enjoying’ this mild weather when it’s lashing with rain and blowing a gale

The mild weather is only just returning and I’m already bored out of my mind. The cold and snow has been the only thing keeping me occupied during lockdown.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
9 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

I’m not going to be going out an ‘enjoying’ this mild weather when it’s lashing with rain and blowing a gale

The mild weather is only just returning and I’m already bored out of my mind. The cold and snow has been the only thing keeping me occupied during lockdown.

Yup, even if there's no immediate cold weather, anything cold showing in the models normally keeps me going. However, there's none of that either.

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Hopefully it won't be lashing down with rain and blowing a gale throughout the entire mild spell. Because yes, that would be awful. We get enough of that kind of weather in this country at all times of year thank you very much.

If it's dry I'll enjoy it. But there's nothing there that actually interests me in what's going on when it happens at this time of year (unless it starts breaking records or brings something highly unusual).

Doesn't mean I won't make the most of it though. It just means I won't be looking at forecasts/models/radars/temperature maps etc...I'll just be taking it for what it is...it's almost like I blend back in with the general public when a cold spell ends and a mild spell begins.

I've got other interests to follow...and a dog to walk. Until the next chase begins...

Edited by Gord
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

I also tend to look away when there are  no extremes of weather, so I'll go back in my box now. It feels raw today though with the wind and rain even if its above 0c for the first time in a while. Most patches of snow and ice have now thawed except the thickest spots.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

It's a pretty dire day today, no question. 3.8 °C, gloomy, overcast, light rain at times, still a nagging wind. Ugh.

But the prospect of 10 °C and a bit of sunshine? Yes. Bring it on, and the sooner the better. Sorry to all those who don't care for such weather and of course I respect your preferences, but for myself I am simply not going to budge my view on this! The thought of going for a stroll and enjoying the crocuses and soon daffodils starting to come out, the feel of the increasingly warm sun, the general hints that spring is no longer all *that* far away... yes. I would prefer that to all but truly snowy cold by this point in the winter. Especially as it's been such a weird winter compared to any before it.

Of course, if it ends up being gloomy miserable murk all week, I reserve the right to turn on a sixpence and whinge about it again!

• Like 2

Posted

Got a little bit of drizzle coming over and it's been dry here for so long that the smell of Petrichor (❤) from the damp soil is strong enough to make the entire house smell of it, and it's not even as if I have any windows open. 

Posted

Heavy rain, stormy winds and a bitter 2c.

25+ days of snow on the ground this winter. Hopefullly, we will get a few more days before the end of March

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Like elsewhere in the Midlands, its been a wet very cold damp day, with drizzle this morning, turning to heavier rain now..

Temperatures actually fell to 1.1C as the drizzle came in, then rose to 3.3C for a while but have fallen again to 3.0C again now.

Last of the snow melted this morning, so another snow cover day.

My ponds are frozen solid still with 'clear' ice (about 6 inches), and as I took the protective covers off the pond system, I could see the fish looking up at me from below.  They a very torpid at this time of year, and normally they come up for food, but they will have to wait until the temp reaches at least 10C before I will even think about it. 

I managed to keep the circulation going into the main pond system through the week, via my main filter  (a cast iron bath), but lost a water cascade ( water out of a pipe waterfall system) to frost for the first time ever this week, into one of my ponds .  First time after 35 years it has blocked , so it shows how prolonged/penetrating  the frost has been this year. Not that low temps, but strong winds and temps around 0.5C max did not change any ice much during the day. But overnight an average of -4.0C was fairly harsh for the pond system.

Anyway. I expect to see some melt in the ice tomorrow.

MIA  

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

Well, if anyone wants to queue for one more go on the rollercoaster before the theme park closes, then they're sniffing out some good charts for 2 weeks (!) time in the model thread. (To be fair, I don't think they're doing it with much seriousness!)

For me, I think I might head to the car park to beat the traffic*. 

*I reserve the right to go back on my word if anything realistic does pop up in the next few weeks.

Edited by Gord
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

Can tell the milder air is coming back. It’s a dreich night out there ?☔

Hang in there ❄️❄️❄️

Posted
44 minutes ago, nobble said:

Hang in there ❄️❄️❄️

Honestly so bored already.

I’m watching Twister, so at least there’s interesting weather on my TV screen.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

For what it's worth, tonight's GFZ 18z has temps in the mid-teens across our region in 9-10 days. Obviously not exactly reliable at that range! But you never know, before Feb is out it might be the first 15 °C of the year we're talking about rather than notably cold/snowy weather.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Could be looking at some very mild possibly even warm temperatures with decent sunshine next week. ☀️

353021849_00_186_uk2mtmpsohd1.thumb.png.634c667f75db922deed6a7407db05016.png1924820887_00_234_uk2mtmpsohd1.thumb.png.4e6a5cd6158e2b63bfebddabf0663e93.png

Edited by xSnow

Posted
2 hours ago, xSnow said:

Could be looking at some very mild possibly even warm temperatures with decent sunshine next week. ☀️

353021849_00_186_uk2mtmpsohd1.thumb.png.634c667f75db922deed6a7407db05016.png1924820887_00_234_uk2mtmpsohd1.thumb.png.4e6a5cd6158e2b63bfebddabf0663e93.png

Given GFS's tendency to slightly undercook temps, I wonder what the odds are on somewhere in the UK touching 20 °C this month. We know it's possible with the right setup. With some sun that would feel very springlike indeed.

Back to the here and now, though: in Bewdley this morning it is currently 10.9 °C with lighter winds and some hazy sunshine. Even that's a world away from what we've experienced recently.

Edited by Arctic Hare