Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Feb 2021 Onward

Summer of 95

Posted

Whether we get a snowy breakdown or not will define this cold spell for me now. Apart from the bit of snow we had on Tuesday night it's hus far been a huge disappointment. Very little snow and no really low temps by day or night (Shawbury hasn't had an ice day or a minimum lower than -5, that's normally one of the coldest stations). The sunshine has been nice to see but thats pretty much the only redeeming feature, along with the fact it hasn't rained when it should snow. 

-20 and deep snow in Braemar when we get this is the winter equivalent of those horrid summer setups when its 30C and sunny in London and 18C and drizzling round here. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

Temperature in Norwich is -6C already! unbelievable considering its proximity to the sea with an easterly wind.

• Like 2

Posted

Hmm... Wind's picking up, been a good few gusts the last 30 mins or so, including a 'house creaker'.  Could feel a faint icy cold draft coming from the window when it did despite being about 3 foot away.

Edited by Ryukai

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
27 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

Whether we get a snowy breakdown or not will define this cold spell for me now. Apart from the bit of snow we had on Tuesday night it's hus far been a huge disappointment. Very little snow and no really low temps by day or night (Shawbury hasn't had an ice day or a minimum lower than -5, that's normally one of the coldest stations). The sunshine has been nice to see but thats pretty much the only redeeming feature, along with the fact it hasn't rained when it should snow. 

-20 and deep snow in Braemar when we get this is the winter equivalent of those horrid summer setups when its 30C and sunny in London and 18C and drizzling round here. 

I really cannot see a snowy breakdown, mild air arriving ahead of Sunday's front, pure rain here and most of Midlands Sunday night and 9 degrees on Monday, E areas of England may have freezing rain, as full agreement 850's are above 0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
43 minutes ago, Andypvfc said:

Are the mod thread getting excited about another crap Easterly next Weekend?

Maybe

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Maybe

Bring it on! Anything is better than mild, and I love cold even if there’s not much snow, although a slider wouldn’t go amiss. 

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

-3C and no frost, feels strange. Doesn't feel as cold because there's no air frost either. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.
7 hours ago, MattStoke said:

Cannot understand the appeal of mild winter weather myself. It’s boring both meteorologically and in terms of conditions at the surface, not even warm, and normally accompanied by wind and rain which makes it feel colder anyway and unpleasant. It’s just crap and an utter nuisance. Give me more cold weather until we get to the warmer months where we can get proper warmth without wind and rain (high single figures to teens just isn’t warm and has no interest to me).

I especially cannot understand when cold weather lovers wish wintry weather away. There’s no logic to it. The window for proper wintry weather is small and finite, and you never know when you’ll see it next. Whereas the window for milder weather is infinite. 

This has been a great winter, so far. There’s still a good few weeks left until spring proper and then guaranteed 8 months of milder, snowless weather at least.

People have their own personal preferences, not everybody likes cold and dry conditions. Similarly, not everybody is a fan of hot and dry conditions in the summer. I prefer colder weather when it bring an increased snow risk, but also much prefer sunnier ☀️ weather to overcast ☁️ weather (like most people), no matter the time of the year. You're quite right in that cold weather often comes with way more sunshine than milder weather, which is why I usually prefer it. However, I don't particuarly like cold days which come alongside cloudy conditions unless it is keeping snow on the ground.

It wouldn't make sense if a cold weather lover compained about the cold, but there is a distinguishment between loving snow and loving cold.

Edited by xSnow
  • Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, xSnow said:

People have their own personal preferences, not everybody likes cold and dry conditions. Similarly, not everybody is a fan of hot and dry conditions in the summer. I prefer colder weather when it bring an increased snow risk, but also much prefer sunnier ☀️ weather to overcast ☁️ weather (like most people), no matter the time of the year. You're quite right in that cold weather often comes with way more sunshine than milder weather, which is why I usually prefer it. However, I don't particuarly like cold days which come alongside cloudy conditions unless it is keeping snow on the ground.

It wouldn't make sense if a cold weather lover compained about the cold, but there is a distinguishment between loving snow and loving cold.

That’s why I said cold lovers and not snow lovers.

Don’t understand how milder but not warm temperatures, grey sky, pouring rain and strong winds is preferable to cold and overcast conditions, especially when wind and rain makes it feel colder anyway.

People start going on about wanting warm weather in the middle of every winter. They make it sound as if we’d all be basking in warm sunshine when the reality of mild winter weather is completely different (unless we get an incredibly rare setup like in 2019). It’s as delusional as yearning for cold weather in the middle of summer so one can build a snowman. I see cold weather lovers yearning for spring and I just think ‘What’s the rush?’, we’ve got months and months of milder conditions ahead where we can get proper warmth with sunshine, whereas the window for proper cold, wintry weather is small and you never know when you’ll see it next so why wish it away? They spend ages looking and waiting for cold weather and when it arrives they get fed up with it after a relatively short period of time.

It’s all completely illogical.

It’s winter. In winter, I want..... winter, not yet more mild conditions to add to the mild weather we have 99% of the year.

The time for spring weather is in spring.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, xSnow said:

cold and dry no ta, it may as well be mild, no more snow for my location guaranteed before Sunday's warm up,

still got a bit of snow left, but thawed a bit overnight

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

That’s why I said cold lovers and not snow lovers.

Don’t understand how milder but not warm temperatures, grey sky, pouring rain and strong winds is preferable to cold and overcast conditions, especially when wind and rain makes it feel colder anyway.

People start going on about wanting warm weather in the middle of every winter. They make it sound as if we’d all be basking in warm sunshine when the reality of mild winter weather is completely different (unless we get an incredibly rare setup like in 2019). It’s as delusional as yearning for cold weather in the middle of summer so one can build a snowman. I see cold weather lovers yearning for spring and I just think ‘What’s the rush?’, we’ve got months and months of milder conditions ahead where we can get proper warmth with sunshine, whereas the window for proper cold, wintry weather is small and you never know when you’ll see it next so why wish it away? They spend ages looking and waiting for cold weather and when it arrives they get fed up with it after a relatively short period of time.

It’s all completely illogical.

It’s winter. In winter, I want..... winter, not yet more mild conditions to add to the mild weather we have 99% of the year.

The time for spring weather is in spring.

I think on any other year i'd agree, but in a pandemic, it feels almost like a winter in the baltic states in the 80s. Everyone looks miserable, wants this all to be over, and i feel like the cold compounds it as the one freedom we all have is fresh air, is not comfortable when its like this. Don't get me wrong, i love cold and seasonal weather and id snap your hand off for a few more days of lying snow, but we really can't complain as this winter has given us all at least a few days days of lying snow cover (depending on where you are) and now its just a raw wind and blue skies. Im kinda done with it to be honest, i have joint problems and the cold makes my feet even sorer, and theres no lying snow anymore. Its not always rain with mild weather; the old 'bartlett' high would bring southwesterly winds albeit probably with more cloud at this time of year. But you are right, once the cold weathers gone we have months of dross to look forward to. But for once, i cant wait to be able to wear shorts and a tshirt and see my mates in the park once more until 9pm at night. Little things when times are naff.

• Like 2

Posted

I’ve never seen so many people out enjoying the cold and snow on my walks. My social media has been rammed full of people enjoying it. I think it’s kept many people sane during lockdown. I know it’s kept me sane. I’d have been so much more depressed if we’d had long spells of mild weather. Dreading next week. Mild winter weather holds no joy or interest to me. I think it’s utter crap and temperatures in high single figures/teens isn’t pleasantly warm. Just more snowless, un wintry weather to add to the minimum of 8 months of snowless, un wintry weather that lay ahead, so why people are impatient for something milder right now is just so weird to me. The only difference is that beyond mid spring mild weather actually is pleasant.

Some who are wishing the cold weather away will moan about the rain next week. Then when we do get proper warmth some of those same people will moan that it’s too hot. *Sigh*.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 3

Posted

Day 5 of snow cover here especially in the shade!!!ice day number 5 as well with iceicles everywhere!!best winter for me since 2018!!!!such a shame we could not get a snowy breakdown with such deep cold over us!!!real shame!

• Like 3

Posted
42 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

I’ve never seen so many people out enjoying the cold and snow on my walks. My social media has been rammed full of people enjoying it. I think it’s kept many people sane during lockdown. I know it’s kept me sane. I’d have been so much more depressed if we’d had long spells of mild weather. Dreading next week. Mild winter weather holds no joy or interest to me. I think it’s utter crap and temperatures in high single figures/teens isn’t pleasantly warm. Just more snowless, un wintry weather to add to the minimum of 8 months of snowless, un wintry weather that lay ahead, so why people are impatient for something milder right now is just so weird to me. The only difference is that beyond mid spring mild weather actually is pleasant.

Some who are wishing the cold weather away will moan about the rain next week. Then when we do get proper warmth some of those same people will moan that it’s too hot. *Sigh*.

But theres no snow cover in sight here away from the hills, its just an icy cold breeze. I suspect thats the case for many now away from sheltered spots, perhaps parts of stoke as you say. One thing we do have, which is very welcome, is blue skies though. Definitely could be worse. 

• Like 1

Posted

Absolutely freezing here. Gusty winds and temperatures still below freezing. 
Plus, it’s another day of snow on the ground at 9am!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Day 5 of snow cover here especially in the shade!!!ice day number 5 as well with iceicles everywhere!!best winter for me since 2018!!!!such a shame we could not get a snowy breakdown with such deep cold over us!!!real shame!

Its definitely been one of the best of the last 10/11 years! I'd say since 2010/11 its been pretty much dross winter after winter, with the odd snow event here and there, but theres been a lot of snowfall since the end of december 

Posted
3 minutes ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

Its definitely been one of the best of the last 10/11 years! I'd say since 2010/11 its been pretty much dross winter after winter, with the odd snow event here and there, but theres been a lot of snowfall since the end of december 

Aye there has but not Feb, another crap month, really not much better than last year, with the one event on the 10th

Posted
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye there has but not Feb, another crap month, really not much better than last year, with the one event on the 10th

Its just been really frustrating, we had a covering overnight on monday but it melted quickly, and plenty of falling snow but very little that has settled, thats why i think many are ready for a bit of a change!

• Like 1

Posted

Onto day 26 of snow cover this winter, although it’s only a partial dusting in the shade.

Cold and dry air should mean good walking conditions this weekend. The milder spells this winter have left the fields and many paths a waterlogged mud bath.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Onto day 26 of snow cover this winter, although it’s only a partial dusting in the shade.

Cold and dry air should mean good walking conditions this weekend. The milder spells this winter have left the fields and many paths a waterlogged mud bath.

flood water here iced over, where I do my walk, Radford canal iced over too, thick ice too

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

It’s such a shame that this cold spell looks unlikely to go out with a snowy bang. A rainy breakdown following a potent cold spell like this (which have generally enjoyed and I know some of us have done well for snow so far) seems such a waste. Why couldn’t the angle of attack for this Sunday just be more from the South East, thus hopefully avoiding the milder wedge of 850 hPa temperatures  

Sounds silly to complain when there’s been people over Southern and South-Western areas of the UK who have barely seen much, if any snow at all. Am still grateful for what I’ve had this Winter. Could easily be further chances to come. Am also sorta looking forward to some Spring weather with warmer temperatures and some sunshine. 

However, it would have been nice, but it seems unlikely for Sunday to change much, maybe could be a little bit of front edge sleet or snow at best

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted
2 hours ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

I’m surprised you say that. I thought 2012-13 was a really good winter with snowfalls in Jan, Feb and March. January and March especially were really good.

and then the 2017-18 winter was really good too.

Overall, I think this has been a good winter with potentially more to come

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Some surprise precipitation making its way in land for East Mids, according to radar?

image.thumb.png.a70d4a880bbeaf5f415c929f582290d0.png

Still a bit cool over the weekend then milder temps by Monday according to GFS 6z.

image.thumb.png.43aa283b868d5dd41455ce1f0193202a.pngimage.thumb.png.cb5ebb2735dd0649b30a3f0b285f6dff.png

I wonder if that's it then or if we see colder output later in the month?

Posted
19 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

It’s such a shame that this cold spell looks unlikely to go out with a snowy bang. A rainy breakdown following a potent cold spell like this (which have generally enjoyed and I know some of us have done well for snow so far) seems such a waste. Why couldn’t the angle of attack for this Sunday just be more from the South East, thus hopefully avoiding the milder wedge of 850 hPa temperatures  

Sounds silly to complain when there’s been people over Southern and South-Western areas of the UK who have barely seen much, if any snow at all. Am still grateful for what I’ve had this Winter. Could easily be further chances to come. Am also sorta looking forward to some Spring weather with warmer temperatures and some sunshine. 

However, it would have been nice, but it seems unlikely for Sunday to change much, maybe could be a little bit of front edge sleet or snow at best

Not just that. The first front that would have brought snow just fizzled out further west.