Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Feb 2021 Onward

Summer of 95

Posted
30 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Warnings removed for Saturday. Not surprising.

Was never there lol!!!!i dont understand what they were looking at!!the warnings have been utilised atrociously this winter!!it really doesnt give them a good look!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Started to turn cloudy and feels bitterly cold. I don't mind this cold with the sun out, but when it's overcast it might as well be mild (personal preference).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

A few still from yesterdays stream

incoming.thumb.jpg.1cc7d6c4f5549d7285ff0aa23c4a1c13.jpg

arrival.thumb.jpg.47a0fa55381cdf9b94fc774dbf21f016.jpg

Bye.thumb.jpg.093d69cb203198c2cfbb993e2a704684.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

The Met office warning are becoming a laugh every time they issue advance warning just to remove it the next day I wouldn’t take those warnings seriously by self glad to see this useless cold spell ending looking forward to spring and the warmth I see a post or two in the model thread saying it would be good to have warmth after this epic winter. I wonder what planet they been living on if this supposed to be an epic winter I also see the strat drumer have gone quiet.

Posted
51 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

The Met office warning are becoming a laugh every time they issue advance warning just to remove it the next day I wouldn’t take those warnings seriously by self glad to see this useless cold spell ending looking forward to spring and the warmth I see a post or two in the model thread saying it would be good to have warmth after this epic winter. I wonder what planet they been living on if this supposed to be an epic winter I also see the strat drumer have gone quiet.

Im not going to downplay the met, especially as they could very well be a future employer after my masters programme! We all very well know things change when it comes to snow events even up to very short notice and its incredibly tough to accurately forecast snow more than a few days out, so i do empathise. I suppose worst case, just like any forecasting company, they have to cover their backs when there looks like an opportunity for significant weather.

Anyway, much like yourself, getting fed up of the cold and dry combo now. Its 1 celsius out there today, raw and uncomfortable, and personally had a bit of a naff few days so the cold feels like its just compounding it. I know its not a sentiment everyones shares, especially where there is lying snow on the ground, but double figures next week will actually feel very pleasant indeed.

• Like 1

Posted

Cannot understand the appeal of mild winter weather myself. It’s boring both meteorologically and in terms of conditions at the surface, not even warm, and normally accompanied by wind and rain which makes it feel colder anyway and unpleasant. It’s just crap and an utter nuisance. Give me more cold weather until we get to the warmer months where we can get proper warmth without wind and rain (high single figures to teens just isn’t warm and has no interest to me).

I especially cannot understand when cold weather lovers wish wintry weather away. There’s no logic to it. The window for proper wintry weather is small and finite, and you never know when you’ll see it next. Whereas the window for milder weather is infinite. 

This has been a great winter, so far. There’s still a good few weeks left until spring proper and then guaranteed 8 months of milder, snowless weather at least.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Cannot understand the appeal of mild winter weather myself. It’s boring both meteorologically and in terms of conditions at the surface, not even warm, and normally accompanied by wind and rain which makes it feel colder anyway and unpleasant. It’s just crap and an utter nuisance. Give me more cold weather until we get to the warmer months where we can get proper warmth without wind and rain (high single figures to teens just isn’t warm and has no interest to me).

I especially cannot understand when cold weather lovers wish wintry weather away. There’s no logic to it. The window for proper wintry weather is small and finite, and you never know when you’ll see it next. Whereas the window for milder weather is infinite. 

This has been a great winter, so far. There’s still a good few weeks left until spring proper and then guaranteed 8 months of milder, snowless weather at least.

This is spot on. It happens every year that when you get into February, people are like winter’s done but I have found that March is far more wintry than December. Still a lot of potential for snow over the next 6-7 weeks

On April 16 2016, I woke up to a small covering of snow for example. So there is still lots of potential

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, high ground birmingham said:

This is spot on. It happens every year that when you get into February, people are like winter’s done but I have found that March is far more wintry than December. Still a lot of potential for snow over the next 6-7 weeks

On April 16 2016, I woke up to a small covering of snow for example. So there is still lots of potential

I see some people writing winter off every January. They have short memories. They don’t seem to remember that most years our coldest weather is in late winter/early spring. People make it out that cold weather is pointless then because snow cover doesn’t last, but that’s not all that there is to cold winter weather. Strong sunshine + cold air can be great fun. It’s great for convection, with really heavy wintry showers and beautiful cloudscapes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

I wasn't able to get outside for my walk today until after lunch, so annoyingly it had clouded over by then. 0.9 °C and little bits of snow still in situ in the shade. The wind made it feel probably the coldest it has in the entire spell, I had a woolly hat, gloves and thick coat, and was walking quite fast, and it still felt bitter.

As for the next few weeks... having thought about it, I've slightly modified my "ready for spring" view. I still am, but that doesn't *have* to mean very mild. I actually take Matt's point a minute ago, spring is maybe our most interesting season. In April over the years I've experienced heavy snow, 25 °C sunshine, severe thunderstorms, severe gales, you name it, all here in lowland Worcestershire. Last year we had the sunniest spring on record, this year who knows? If there's any season that should keep everyone interested whatever their weather preferences it's spring.

That said, I don't entirely agree that mild weather in winter has no appeal. Before this cold spell started there was a day or two when it was about 10 °C with the sun out and little wind, and I did venture very briefly into the back garden to do some minor tidying. I remember thinking it felt really pleasant. And that was definitely still winter. It doesn't always need to be 15 °C plus to feel nice if you're dressed for the conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Andypvfc said:

Just watched the latest Met Office Forecast for this weekend. 

Chance of a spell of Freezing Rain Sunday, so one to watch folks, particularly if Driving. 

bbc just mentioned rain, this is going out with a whimper

Posted

Managed to get out to Park Hall this afternoon, the wind was bitter which put me off taking any photos.

Did get these on the way though, not often you see this

20210211_155935.thumb.jpg.262473788e862c1e51e4a673a24d9e05.jpg

20210211_132530.thumb.jpg.b2bcf2f709a08dee4139243b72162670.jpg

Edited by Martin M
  • Like 9

Posted
35 minutes ago, Martin M said:

Managed to get out to Park Hall this afternoon, the wind was bitter which put me off taking any photos.

Did get these on the way though, not often you see this

20210211_155935.thumb.jpg.262473788e862c1e51e4a673a24d9e05.jpg

20210211_132530.thumb.jpg.b2bcf2f709a08dee4139243b72162670.jpg

My favourite part of Stoke-on-Trent! Always go up there when it snows but it’s beautiful in any weather.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

Agreed

• Like 1

Posted

Ole skool winter day today incredible wind chill and coldest day for 3 years and first sub 0 day reminded me abit of the day before the January 1982 blizzards.

Very strong Se winds -1.3c

• Like 1

Posted

GFS has a high of -1’C in Stoke tomorrow and -2’C on Saturday We’ll have a very cold south east wind too. Should get up to 27 days of snow cover this winter by the end of this cold spell.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

GFS has a high of -1’C in Stoke tomorrow and -2’C on Saturday We’ll have a very cold south east wind too. Should get up to 27 days of snow cover this winter by the end of this cold spell.

not been a great cold spell here, much prefered the one 28th Dec to 2nd Jan, way more snaw

Posted
4 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

not been a great cold spell here, much prefered the one 28th Dec to 2nd Jan, way more snaw

If only we’d had these sort of temperatures with that amount of snow. Nudged above freezing back then so only partial snow cover was left after a couple of days. Had 15 straight days with snow on the ground though.

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

If only we’d had these sort of temperatures with that amount of snow. Nudged above freezing back then so only partial snow cover was left after a couple of days. Had 15 straight days with snow on the ground though.

Weird the other day, mountain of snow by Asda, can only assume it's still from 24th Jan

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
47 minutes ago, nobble said:

Everyone stay calm the snow will return 

at least 6 weeks of good potential 

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️⛄

Scraped a high of 0.2C today, with a bitter SE wind. Back down to -1,8C now by 19:15.

ECM and GFS// both now seeing an easterly starting up again after midweek!!

Roll on for the next 'search the flake' competition which can be played in your own living room,

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 2

Posted

Every year knee jerk reactions 

it’s mid feb quick panic ??‍♂️

mid feb is 3 days away 

we could be 8 days away from cold and snow again 

that leaves 10 days of feb 

and then we have 21 days of winter left ??
people wishing for spring warmth in feb is like hankering over bbq weather in late October it can happen but rarely  lasts !!!!

the start of lockdown last year was very sunny , but cold very cold until very end of March !!

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Scraped a high of 0.2C today, with a bitter SE wind. Back down to -1,8C now by 19:15.

ECM and GFS// both now seeing an easterly starting up again after midweek!!

Roll on for the next 'search the flake' competition which can be played in your own living room,

MIA

It amazes me some people think it’s not cold , yesterday at 4 pm I used my washers on my van and ice formed instantly whilst driving in sun !!

• Like 3