Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Feb 2021 Onward

Summer of 95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

What's going on this weekend then?

Is it the end of the cold for this winter after this week?

Looking ahead on forecasts looks mild going forward after Saturday.

Posted
6 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

Dry freezing night in store. Should be a real hard ground frost in the morning.

Not sure if the air might be too dry for a frost.

Posted

A few more small flakes drifting down, not melting this time but will take hours to give a full dusting

Edit: just turned on the football from Burnley, its snowing harder there than it has done here at any time during this spell, and that's immediately west of the Pennines??

Edited by Summer of 95
  • Like 1

Posted

High resolution models have showers becoming more widespread for a time late tonight, particularly for the north of the region.

Something to look out for.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.
32 minutes ago, WinterWilf said:

What's going on this weekend then?

Is it the end of the cold for this winter after this week?

Looking ahead on forecasts looks mild going forward after Saturday.

Cold and dry on Saturday, milder and wetter by Monday. It doesn't look exciting by any means.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, xSnow said:

Cold and dry on Saturday, milder and wetter by Monday. It doesn't look exciting by any means.

10 degrees forecast here on Monday wtf!

Posted

i'm ready for the better weather to get here now, I had a whiff of spring in the glasshouses at work when the sun came out today, we've done tons better than last winter, for snow, so i'm happy.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

What a really frustrating spell for most of us this has been. I knew the streamers would deliver next to zero for most of us away from the favoured eastern areas, but a snowy breakdown/slider should really have been on the table. If not more than that.

Still hopefully more opportunities to arise in the coming 6 weeks. 

Its February the 9th, nobody should be thinking about Spring! 

Edited by PolarWarsaw
  • Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

10 degrees forecast here on Monday wtf!

Really can’t stand mild winter weather. High single figures to teens just isn’t warm me to me, and wind and rain is rarely far away and make it feel colder anyway. The bare landscape needs brightening up with frost and snow.

I never wish wintry weather away like some cold winter lovers do. The window for cold, wintry weather is finite and small and you never know when you’ll see it again in this country. Whereas the window for milder weather is infinite.

I like warm weather but when it’s real warmth in the real warm months beyond about mid spring. Give me cold until then! (Cold early spring weather can be fun as it’s good for convection).

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

A couple of beefy looking showers are appearing on the radar

DD73610F-7BE4-47D3-9E45-D878883A79ED.thumb.png.64a80ccc133997ac8ad245333ede7c5d.pngCE23F8E0-E405-4C2A-87FC-FE544690597A.thumb.png.212ea44a4cf62f64759ff98165bd0272.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Some beefy showers incoming!!!!can they make it to a luky few?!

Yes, Dancerwithwings, nothing again over Lincoln way, winds to me are still ENE, not E

Posted
Just now, sheikhy said:

@Dancerwithwings great minds think alike

You know it makes sense....cushty

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

Disappointed with the lack of shower activity today meaning most of the snow has melted from overnight. Might be the last chance for a while too  

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Yes, Dancerwithwings, nothing again over Lincoln way, winds to me are still ENE, not E

10c for next week can wait for now

Posted
3 hours ago, Arctic Hare said:

Similar here, Andy. In truth I wasn't expecting anything visible this morning, so seeing the road all white was a pleasant surprise! It's all disappeared now, though.

Tbh I personally am now starting to feel in the mood for looking forward to spring now. I've had several reasonable snow events this winter, and the thought of being able to potter around in the back garden without freezing is a nice one. Appreciate that those who've barely seen anything may well feel different, but "sort of cold and mostly dry with the occasional flurry" isn't very exciting to me anymore. Bring on the sun!

Agree here, i kinda feel like im done with winter now. Weve done pretty well by west mids standards this winter, i make it 9 full days of snow cover here, about 18-20cm of accumulating snow but todays accumulation always felt like it was going to melt fairly rapidly. Im not entirely sure why thats been the case, but it seems to have happened fairly widely from what ive read away from higher ground? The ground must ultimately be too warm to retain the snow, but anyway, the same will most likely happen if any more is to accumulate during this easterly spell, so a double figures temp would actually be kinda welcome here, as the nights get a little longer too, means more comfortable outdoor opportunities (within covid regs) as i just feel downright grumpy when it snows but its not amounting to anything .

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, shunthebartlett92 said:

Agree here, i kinda feel like im done with winter now. Weve done pretty well by west mids standards this winter, i make it 9 full days of snow cover here, about 18-20cm of accumulating snow but todays accumulation always felt like it was going to melt fairly rapidly. Im not entirely sure why thats been the case, but it seems to have happened fairly widely from what ive read away from higher ground? The ground must ultimately be too warm to retain the snow, but anyway, the same will most likely happen if any more is to accumulate during this easterly spell, so a double figures temp would actually be kinda welcome here, as the nights get a little longer too, means more comfortable outdoor opportunities (within covid regs) as i just feel downright grumpy when it snows but its not amounting to anything .

certainly right about any more snow! will thaw fairly quickly after 9am

• Like 1

Posted

Snow has barely melted at all here in the shade. Had the problem of rapid thaw in sub zero temperatures in January though ?‍♂️  Think a few days of cold temperatures freezing the ground before the snow showers developed would have helped places maintain snow cover.

Showers do look to be pepping up again. 

Damn. Had the wind been more east than east-north east I’d have been plastered going by the radar the last couple of days.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
20 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

From my reckoning I think we need to look towards Mablethorpe for our showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Heat

As this is my regional thread, would like to share my thoughts on the model output discussion. There have been great analyses and very informative posts. However, I felt this year it wasn't at par by any means, it lacked that spark, probably people were too busy due to home working and kids being at home as well? I hope next winter we have all those posters back in, full gun blazing 

Posted
1 minute ago, bearing said:

From my reckoning I think we need to look towards Mablethorpe for our showers.

There is a few heading our way! at least some flurries