Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
9 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Chucking it down. Yes! ☃️ 

Rain confirmed for Stoke lol. ???

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

I too had noticed this. The Yorkshire thread are reporting the showers beefing up inland.

The north of our region are also looking as though they may turn a bit heavier.

Whereas in the Central and southern band they have now died out.

I have also observed that here a thin veil of cirrus has moved across from the east here turning the blue skies a milky colour, and the shower cumulus have disappeared.  Also that the showers are now dieing out before reaching Leicester and are now non existent from Coventry westwards. 

What is happening?...

I have also observed that the showers around the North of E Anglia and the Wash are intensifying with  higher tops.

I am wondering whether these higher tops are injecting more moisture to a higher level.

This may be good news for us in the central Midlands if the showers over the Wash can mange to move westwards as they may be showing more convection. OR it could be the veil will hold and dampen down all activity.

MIA   

Seems to be some sort of interaction going on with the low heading into France.  Gravity wave interfering???  I think that's what's fuelling the formation of cirrus cloud.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Had some small flakes this afternoon, left a slight dusting in some places but very surprised to see it melting to drops of water in others (mostly places that have been in the sun). Dewpoints are well below freezing, it's still early Feb. Cant believe the sun is too strong already to stop it settling in the day, it did so in March in 2013 and 2018

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
4 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Seems to be some sort of interaction going on with the low heading into France.  Gravity wave interfering???  I think that's what's fuelling the formation of cirrus cloud.

Thanks both, yes reckon you must be right, can’t think of any other explanation that makes sense.

Posted
4 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Blue sky looking towards Fenton as the snow hammers down Longton.

18EC720D-DF4C-41BD-B902-7D15EED08267.jpeg

Looking back at you with clear blue skies overhead the distant hills of Parkhall fuzzed out by snow.  LOL

217609487_IMG_20210209_1627352611.thumb.jpg.cd9342c14d5da123ae048aab4938ee20.jpg

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Looking back at you with clear blue skies overhead the distant hills of Parkhall fuzzed out by snow.  LOL

217609487_IMG_20210209_1627352611.thumb.jpg.cd9342c14d5da123ae048aab4938ee20.jpg

It’s an absolute blizzard with big flakes Everything white over. Perfectly timed shortly before sunset, just like yesterday. Can’t imagine how heavy that was over the Peak District!

More showers out to the east-north-east on the radar heading this way.

C98F4D68-61BD-4681-9AF0-166C61749EC1.jpeg

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
47 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Yes., thanks R... It is interesting still... Could it be that the upper moisture associated with that system is forming 'cloud' with the interaction with the very cold upper air  over us? Could mean more precipitation and earlier  and further north  for the low running into the south west?  

Time will tell... It has though, I fear,  restricted the showers to this region.  I am still hopeful that the 'extra' moisture might help any showers which break through. 

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

We had around 1cm overnight from a few showers. Its all gone now Anyone else surprised at how fast the snow has melted? We had snow on the ground yesterday morning that melted by the afternoon, as well. It's even melted in the shade. I wasn't expecting snow to melt in the shade in these conditions. It hasn't got above 0c since Sunday

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

We had around 1cm overnight from a few showers. Its all gone now Anyone else surprised at how fast the snow has melted? We had snow on the ground yesterday morning that melted by the afternoon, as well. It's even melted in the shade. I wasn't expecting snow to melt in the shade in these conditions. It hasn't got above 0c since Sunday

Thought it would be the sun heating surfaces as it hasn’t melted here in the shade and I only had a dusting. Odd that it’s melted in the shade in places with a thicker covering.

Posted
5 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

There is (unfortunately) more energetic photons bouncing around.  Was standing in front of the window when the sun was out and it felt really warm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
6 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

Similar here, Andy. In truth I wasn't expecting anything visible this morning, so seeing the road all white was a pleasant surprise! It's all disappeared now, though.

Tbh I personally am now starting to feel in the mood for looking forward to spring now. I've had several reasonable snow events this winter, and the thought of being able to potter around in the back garden without freezing is a nice one. Appreciate that those who've barely seen anything may well feel different, but "sort of cold and mostly dry with the occasional flurry" isn't very exciting to me anymore. Bring on the sun!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

GFS 12Z again bringing snow in on Sunday into Monday, lightish but slow moving, as for tonight, again showers dying out, most likely dry night coming up here

prectypeuktopo.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

GFS 12Z again bringing snow in on Sunday into Monday, lightish but slow moving, as for tonight, again showers dying out, most likely dry night coming up here

prectypeuktopo.png

Looks like it would still be cold at the surface  into next week.

UKMO looks like it brings in south westerlies earlier though. Don’t know if it brings any snow beforehand.

Posted
7 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Looks like it would still be cold at the surface  into next week.

UKMO looks like it brings in south westerlies earlier though. Don’t know if it brings any snow beforehand.

Aye, UKMO goes the wrong way

Posted
2 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Hmmm showers pushing into the wash again

They don't get as far inland though at night, little shower right over me now, can see that being it for NW of region

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Hmmm showers pushing into the wash again

Let’s hope they form a train like last night ????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Well not quite as cold as forecast and less snow than was forecast same old.........

Edited by Fozfoster
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

It’s an absolute blizzard with big flakes Everything white over. Perfectly timed shortly before sunset, just like yesterday. Can’t imagine how heavy that was over the Peak District!

More showers out to the east-north-east on the radar heading this way.

C98F4D68-61BD-4681-9AF0-166C61749EC1.jpeg

Shame the shower that is passing through Buxton now which passed through here in Dronfield North East Derbyshire isn't passing through your end you would have loved the intensity of that it was nearly a full on blizzard.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I’ve enjoyed today, snowed where I was working in Snowy Streetly ( North B’ham) all morning infant  

Now back home in Solihull, temps at 6pm  - 1.2c and expected to be around -3.0c overnight.

But tomorrow night is the one,  I’m looking at a Minimum of - 7 here...love it

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Dry freezing night in store. Should be a real hard ground frost in the morning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All the Interesting stuff

Not quite an ice day here, reached 0.1C for a couple of minutes at 12.25pm, so close! 

• Like 2