Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Feb 2021 Onward

Summer of 95

Posted

just had a walk around and light snow for an hour, I think it came from the extremely rare Hanley Park Lake Streamer, stuff that melted in the sun is refreezing in the shade

• Like 1

Posted

This cold spell has really been a big anti climax. Built up to be the worst of the winter, copious  amounts of snow . Named by many the beast of the east. Well in birminggam it's been crap. The snow a week or so ago was far better lasted longer let the kids play in it, and wasn't ramped up half as much as this one. 

• Like 7

Posted

Yeah melting quickly here.

But a good learning experience for future easterlies. We need a good hard frost to get the ground prepared, not a sloppy transition day like last Saturday. And a longer fetch easterly too. Then the stronger sun won’t have so much effect like March 2013 and March 2018. Both were proceeded by frosty nights and both had Russia as their source.

Lots of good lessons for the future.

Edited by Gord
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it

Another snow shower blowing in on a cold east wind. Hills surrounding all white. Great walk this morning skating on frozen puddles. More of the same tomorrow. Brilliant spell of proper  winter in Belper. Love it. 

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, gig1968 said:

This cold spell has really been a big anti climax. Built up to be the worst of the winter, copious  amounts of snow . Named by many the beast of the east. Well in birminggam it's been crap. The snow a week or so ago was far better lasted longer let the kids play in it, and wasn't ramped up half as much as this one. 

only gets ramped up because the members in the SE think it's "the day after tomorrow" everytime an east wind blows...I swear I saw Dennis quaid in SE thread last week warning the globe of an imminent global freeze

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

Its funny isn't it how there has been a chase for cold 850's all winter, yet here we are with them now but talking about thaws rather than freezing. Just goes to show how important the source of air is to sustain cold and lying snow.

image.thumb.png.fa47ebc73a241486cf8d51056c9c7506.png

Looking at the GEFs, the potential breakdown looks relatively lacking in precipitation (whether it be rain/sleet/snow) across the board in my area. So not sure the cold spell will go out with a bang, more a slow transition in to spring like conditions perhaps?

image.thumb.png.6ce52f4e3f27b1f6b27704042a10e474.png

The 2m temps shows a mixed bag. but more double digit temps starting to creep in over the last few runs. The GEFS 6z show me with either 11 degrees on Monday, or remaining sub zero. Once again the slight directional changes of air will make a big difference to next week.

In the mean time, I've given up on snow for me for the rest of the week, but look forward to some cold frosty mornings, and spectacular sunrises.

Posted
24 minutes ago, el tiempo said:

just had a walk around and light snow for an hour, I think it came from the extremely rare Hanley Park Lake Streamer, stuff that melted in the sun is refreezing in the shade

Some showers moving in from the east at the moment. Don’t look particularly significant though.

Posted

I think the issue is more the lack/intensity of the showers than the sun, considering the BFTE happened right at the end of Feb and we all had a lot more accumulating then. Of course I know there was melt in the sun but not on this level. Also the air being less cold directly affecting the melt doesn't seem the main cause as the uppers are more than impressive for the UK, severe in fact.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny
12 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Screenshot_20210209-133608_Samsung Internet.jpg

There is one over southern Sweden? Scraping the barrel now! 

Screenshot_20210209_134458_de.wetteronline.wetterapp.thumb.jpg.6f5e4a845ed3f26a411166b03f5a9a28.jpg

Edit: can't seem to remove the ironic emoji! 

Edited by Ninman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Not exactly a memorable event, i have to say.

• Like 2

Posted

A bit of a strange one today really. Despite a good thin layer been deposited in the early hours and more or less constant flurries since then it's for the most part thawed, even on the grass. Just goes to show the set up isn't as good as late Feb/early March 2018 was. Oh well still time for that spell to be challenged. At least at this point we can say we've seen a bit of decent snow (for shorter or longer) in each of the 3 meteorological Winter months. There's not too many Winters you can say that, especially in recent years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Bit of a shame this lockdown from a purely selfish POV. My parents live in West Norfolk and have seen around 15-20cm snow from constant snow showers over the past 48 hours - I would have stayed there for a few days to witness it. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

A fairly light snow shower here recently. The odd occasional snow showers we’ve had so far today seem to be more ‘cleaner’ than the ones from yesterday, where there was a lot of graupel mixed in at times. 

Have to admit, this Easterly isn’t quite of the quality of the 2018 one, but still pretty decent in that it hasn’t been snowless and has been feeling biting in the wind (but I appreciate for some parts it’s likely been dry/mostly dry) 

• Like 3

Posted

Well I enjoy this cold spell, because I enjoy every cold spell. It doesn’t have to be an historic event to be enjoyable and I don’t think anyone predicted it would be apart from maybe some media as usual. A cold easterly with snow showers, mostly in the east, was predicted and that’s what we’ve got. Widespread deep snow wasn’t predicted but some locations have seen significant snow. It’s not the completely dry and grey skies some predicted and are now trying to claim they were right when plainly they were not, and sniping at those who predicted snow when there has been snow.

Some very cold nights and cold days still to come with maybe the slight chance of a little snow at the end of the week. Lovely winter sunshine too. Give me this over mild winter weather every time! 

I’ve even had people in London giving me stick for saying it would snow, and it’s been snowing there for 3 days! I never told them it would be significant but apparently I’m wrong because it isn’t significant

Some people just like to moan for the sake of moaning and I’m fed up with it, especially as I get stick if I’m ever negative myself.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, DiagonalRedLine said:

A fairly light snow shower here recently. The odd occasional snow showers we’ve had so far today seem to be more ‘cleaner’ than the ones from yesterday, where there was a lot of graupel mixed in at times. 

Have to admit, this Easterly isn’t quite of the quality of the 2018 one, but still pretty decent in that it hasn’t been snowless and has been feeling biting in the wind (but I appreciate for some parts it’s likely been dry/mostly dry) 

1981/82 was something to witness, that was cold, my sister had a burst tap, and when my Dad and i went over there to pick one or two things up for her, the carpet crunched under our feet, as the ice in the carpet had frozen solid. Alsp had 6 foot drifts, 18" of level snowfall, minimum temp that year was over in Shropshire - Shawbury i think, it touched -26C.

Edited by DIS1970
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm spring, hot summers
6 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Well I enjoy this cold spell, because I enjoy every cold spell. It doesn’t have to be an historic event to be enjoyable and I don’t think anyone predicted it would be apart from maybe some media as usual. A cold easterly with snow showers, mostly in the east, was predicted and that’s what we’ve got. Widespread deep snow wasn’t predicted but some locations have seen significant snow. It’s not the completely dry and grey skies some predicted and are now trying to claim they were right when plainly they were not, and sniping at those who predicted snow when there has been snow.

Some very cold nights and cold days still to come with maybe the slight chance of a little snow at the end of the week. Lovely winter sunshine too. Give me this over mild winter weather every time! 

Some people just like to moan for the sake of moaning and I’m fed up with it, especially as I get stick if I’m ever negative myself.

Day off work so just had a 2 hour walk. Ok, I did want 2 feet of snow followed by a hard frost but it was lovely today, all the flakes from the snow showers dancing around my face & fluttering down. So glad for that instead of rain & durge. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Quite a lengthy heavy snow shower blowing through here just now.

Temp -1c

Wind chill -5c

• Like 2

Posted

Hey, glad more people have seen snow since last night! Nice to see. Quick question the showers have been dying as they cross the country in the main, however there are showers coming over the North Midlands that have come from nothing and are building over land? Why is that and what's the difference? 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ms Rock & Blues said:

Day off work so just had a 2 hour walk. Ok, I did want 2 feet of snow followed by a hard frost but it was lovely today, all the flakes from the snow showers dancing around my face & fluttering down. So glad for that instead of rain & durge. 

I think it’s beautiful out there.

I will though admit to cursing at the radar for the streamers not aligning up perfectly for me and every time a shower slips to my north and south I’ve seen far less snow than many (but more than others) but I’m not calling it a non-event just because a lot of showers have missed me.

Perspective is needed too. These easterlies are the only times the south east gets to see proper winter weather and my social media feeds are rammed full of snow photos and reports at the moment. Some of them have seen their most significant snow in many years. It’s nice to see. Hence they ‘hype’ it up, and it’s another reason this whole thing isn’t a non-event for the UK as a whole. I will though concede that the media coverage of snow down there to compared to the rest of the country is very biased.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
3 minutes ago, WelfordRd said:

Hey, glad more people have seen snow since last night! Nice to see. Quick question the showers have been dying as they cross the country in the main, however there are showers coming over the North Midlands that have come from nothing and are building over land? Why is that and what's the difference? 

Orographic lift. Relatively warmer air at the surface is forced to rise into colder temperatures up above. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1