Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Feb 2021 Onward

Summer of 95

Posted

The forecast is for the easterly wind to die down as the week goes on. So I guess what has been blowing through will disappear leaving us with cold and grey days.

So our only hope is some kind of unseen trough not yet on the models or the Atlantic making some kind of inroads...which is risky.

I see some models and longer range forecasts are toying with the idea of the latter into next week. But it’s far too early to think about it yet.

Good to see certain spots have done well out of this. One noticeable place looks like southern Suffolk into northern Essex. So it will be a memorable easterly for some.

Edited by Gord

Posted
Just now, BLIZZARDMAN said:

So close yet...

Picture1.png

Winds should turn more east than north east soon so hopefully showers more directly over leicester!!!ukv had a stream of snow for tomorrow for our area!!

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Monkeypants said:

when it comes over the peaks you get a shadow effect. shows precipitation and it isn't actually doing anything. bit like a couple of weeks ago showed bright on the radar for persistent heavy snow and it was light/moderate at best. same colour echoes to the east of the peaks and heavy snow. we had 2 inches here yet the other side of the hill in alton they had 6inches..just the way it is up here mate NW is best or a failed breakdown and we are the northern most point before the front gets pushed back.

Doesn’t seem to be as big an issue in the far south/south east of Stoke. We are a bit less sheltered, I think. Best snow cover I’ve seen this winter though has been up in Apedale. Beautiful up there, and the snow cover lasts longer than where I am thanks to the extra height. Park Hall, just a couple of miles from me is similar.

Posted

Looks like this will fall well short of expectations for the Brum area. The alignment of showers just didn’t favour us today. But doesn’t sound like much accumulation in region anyway. Let’s see what tonight brings. 

Nonetheless that wind has a real bite. 

The streamer is quite defined now covering S. Leicester into Coventry and south Warks. Should be a good covering from now on here. Good for them as they have missed out most the winter!!

A447190D-87B5-444A-BFE4-F58205725177.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold

The only thing I can think of why the BBC is saying so many hours of snow is on this radar for 17.45 there is a larger band incoming later. Hopefully this will be better will see.

Screenshot_20210208-180320__01.jpg

Or at least this will feed the bands of showers

Edited by WinterWilf

Posted
2 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Winds should turn more east than north east soon so hopefully showers more directly over leicester!!!ukv had a stream of snow for tomorrow for our area!!

GFS has shown that on its last few runs.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
13 minutes ago, RobR said:

We seem to be right on the edge of the streamer over Cov/Leamington/Warwick. Not sure if anyone there has reports on how its going? A subtle shift in wind would be nice!

Only occasional snow here melts basically as it lands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather
2 minutes ago, Fozfoster said:

Only occasional snow here melts basically as it lands

Not jealous then

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

streamer missing Brum again! And look at the south east FGS

Best to forget this one.

Posted

And in the 20 mins it took me to do the dishes it melted, how is it melting!!  The roads/pavement/ground is dry, the temps at -1, the sun set ages ago. WHY!!!

• Like 1

Posted

Those in Birmingham fear not. Wikipedia is never wrong and it says this:

Birmingham is a snowy city relative to other large UK conurbations, due to its inland location and comparatively high elevation.[125]Between 1961 and 1990 Birmingham Airportaveraged 13.0 days of snow lying annually,[126]compared to 5.33 at London Heathrow.[127]Snow showers often pass through the city via the Cheshire gap on north westerly airstreams, but can also come off the North Sea from north easterly airstreams 

There has to be something coming 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

And in the 20 mins it took me to do the dishes it melted, how is it melting!!  The roads/pavement/ground is dry, the temps at -1, the sun set ages ago. WHY!!!

did here too, can only think time of year? flurry I had before 9am gave whiteout, soon as it stopped the thaw started, rest of day been a bit like Sat Jan 30th, non settling wet snow

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like wind direction changing to more easterly later on , southern part of Brum possibly seeing a bit.

Not really expecting much from these showers if I'm honest.

Best chances for us will be later on in the week , we may have to wait for the Atlantic to make in roads. 

Edited by mildmuck

Posted
6 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

?‍♂️ Snow cover in this country seems to break the laws of physics. Most melts when temperatures are below freezing point and yet some patches hang on for days temperatures with above freezing point.

Snow hasn’t melted here. Are you lower down and/or in a more urbanised area? Could be a bit of residual heat from builds and artificial surfaces. My part of Stoke isn’t very high up but isn’t hugely urbanisation either. 

I notice big differences in how long snow lasts in different parts of Stoke due to the topography.

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

Not been a great one for us today but at least it’s missed us by a fair bit rather than a couple of miles. Glad Warwick & Stratford & Leicester have had some and that they stay on that line now to give them a decent dumping. Looking forward to some breakdown snow next week instead. 

attachment.png

Edited by dvdfjojo
Added a radar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

All right coventry, you've had ya fun. 

Posted
12 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

?‍♂️ Snow cover in this country seems to break the laws of physics. Most melts when temperatures are below freezing point and yet some patches hang on for days temperatures above freezing point.

Snow hasn’t melted here. Are you lower down and/or in a more urbanised area? Could be a bit of residual heat from builds and artificial surfaces. My part of Stoke isn’t very high up but isn’t hugely urbanisation either.

Not sure where exactly in Longton you are, but I'm about 100foot higher in elevation the Longton's town centre, and it's much less built up here, Norton's a very small council estate about half way up the Eastern side of Whitfield valley looking West (Smallthorn's on the Western side of the valley looking eastwards) and we are basically surrounded by greenbelt.

So not sure why it's vanishing so fast, I could understand if the snow was sublimating or something along those lines due to dry air, but humidity's at 80+% ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Ryukai

Posted
2 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Leicester could be in for a long 24 hours IF that streamer maintains intensity!

Position of streamer is critical , it's pretty much skimming top half of the m42 down to Worcester, it's track has now shifted slightly from what I can see.

Posted
Just now, Ryukai said:

Not sure where exactly in Longton you are, but I'm about 100foot higher in elevation the Longton's town centre, and it's much less built up here, Norton's a very small council estate about half way up the Eastern side of Whitfield valley looking West (Smallthorn's on the Western side of the valley looking eastwards) and we are basically surrounded by greenbelt.

I’m about a mile or so outside of the Longton Town Centre, not very far from Trentham. I can walk just part way down Trentham road and there will be more snow than here. I notice big differences over very small distances when I got on my walks.

Got to love weather apps. 77% chance of precipitation but dry at 7pm. 41% chance of precipitation and heavy snow at 9pm

B1469231-AF3C-49E1-9253-CFC0FAD4E5B9.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.
4 minutes ago, dvdfjojo said:

Not been a great one for us today but at least it’s missed us by a fair bit rather than a couple of miles. Glad Warwick & Stratford & Leicester have had some and that they stay on that line now to give them a decent dumping. Looking forward to some breakdown snow next week instead. 

Nothing to speak of in Stratford, we are just to the south of the streamer, similar situation in Warwick. Coventry seems to be in the perfect spot. 

20210208_183947.thumb.jpg.b3f9f34dbcdf99f9a353dca5207e2eae.jpg

Posted
2 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

I’m about a mile or so outside of the Longton Town Centre, not very far from Trentham. I can walk just part way down Trentham road and there will be more snow than here. I notice big differences over very small distances when I got on my walks.

Got to love weather apps. 77% chance of precipitation but dry at 7pm. 41% chance of precipitation and heavy snow at 9pm

B1469231-AF3C-49E1-9253-CFC0FAD4E5B9.jpeg

LoL no chance then  

Also got another sugar sifting going on outside, wonder how long this'll last before it vanishes.

• Like 1