Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Feb 2021 Onward

Summer of 95

Posted

More light snow blowing in the wind, far too light to give a noticeable covering. Oddly it doesn't actually feel that cold out there to me, perhaps its the dry air but felt much colder during those N/NWly spells in January

Posted
5 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

A lot sun breaking through now, so whoever quoted 25cm falling yesterday via a certain news channel, may well be a little disappointed.

Maybe he forgot the decimal point?

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, DerbyshireDales said:

Any screenshots? 

Euro4 for example 

Mid afternoon 

euro4_uk1-45-8-0_ict0.png

Much more by Tuesday morning

euro4_uk1-45-26-0_ukb1.png

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
19 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Remember what snowangel posted 14hrs ago

My glass is always half full....I have light snowfall and it’s 0.0c

Exactly my mates in Somerset haven't seen a flake all Winter. Been snowing here now for 5 hours yh mainly light but still watching it fall while writing Rotas for work is still beautiful to see. Deffo Glass half full and just look at the showers piling in for later as the we have seen by others just need one to hit and itts a few quick centimetres.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it

Snow swirling heavily outside on the coldest day of the year as shower after shower blows in.  Snow is proper snow - not marginal wet gubbins that melts as soon as it falls. Another ice day tomorrow. Remains freezing all week with much potential for all. This is peak winter 20/21 so far for Belper and the environs (North and East midlands) ALL IS GOOD IN THE HOOD

Edited by Sleet30031972

Posted

Stopped here, we've had about 7cm. It's sunny now so a little melt is happening, hopefully not too much so it freezes overnight!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I think the any snow melt is honestly down to the sun's strength. We are ~7 weeks from the shortest day of the year and solar radiation has increased by roughly 15%. These small margins make a difference when you aren't really seeing much snow at all. You wouldn't notice it if you had a dumping. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Streamers starting to look more organised perhaps? 

Screenshot_20210208-121359.thumb.jpg.1a4c5171f77d9250da9ec58dd44e684e.jpg

Maybe more inland penetration as the day wears on from the stiff North easterly. 

Posted

As matt has shown euro4 gives me 10 to 15cms by tomorrow morning!!and showers continue all day tomorrow and into wednesday!!so potential defo there but we need this snow to start settling!its -1 here with a dew of -5!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

What a pathetic spell this is turning out to be. Not a patch on the BFTE, it doesn't even feel that cold. 

Dandruff has been blowing around in the wind since last night, nothing sticking - floors damp/wet - no accumulation later as the showers are too weak/small,

The showers look good on radar but are absolutely nothing by the time they get this far in land.

Worst thing of all is that any widespread breakdown snow is constantly put back further SW, meanwhile we stay dry and chilly with HP in charge and another week or 2 of winter is gone. People seem to actually be wanting this to prolong the agony of a weak Scandi HP that will deliver no snow and steal more time from us.

Still this is a modest easterly, accumulating snow above 1-2CM is a 10/1 shot for most of this area this week. No surprise really, forecasters are abysmal.

To think some were content to watch Storm Darcy drift further away from our region to increase 'convection' 

Useless.

Edited by PolarWarsaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
Just now, sheikhy said:

As matt has shown euro4 gives me 10 to 15cms by tomorrow morning!!and showers continue all day tomorrow and into wednesday!!so potential defo there but we need this snow to start settling!its -1 here with a dew of -5!!

Normally I stay on the fence but the models were predicting 5cm widely by this time and the majority have either seen a dusting or nothing at all. It will be far more localised that what the models are suggesting. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
2 minutes ago, Shezale coventry said:

Update on the blizzard of cov 21...its been snowing since 9am but its so heavy that its reached 1cms. Amazing another cm and might need a red warning

You are lucky to get that much,lol.A few grains and flurries but virtually nothing on the ground here around 9 miles north of Coventry. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

South Brum-....sod all just grains from time to time. Very disappointing! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Got about 1 to 2cm here now. Melting on the roads and roofs but accumulating elsewhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
28 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Maybe he forgot the decimal point?

34 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

A lot sun breaking through now, so whoever quoted 25cm falling yesterday via a certain news channel, may well be a little disappointed.

Hi guys...

It was me!!!!

First time I've been connected with the BEEB.!!!!

I am its biggest critic. (with held my licence fee, etc).

However - in these situations under a heavy continuous streamer it is perfectly possible for 25CMs to be recorded somewhere.

The point was that the forecast was a general BBC forecast and they did not state where it would occur along the whole of the East Coast..

I assumed that a streamer would be about 2 miles wide. That is the nature of true streamers. Many people do not understand  that they will NEVER produce widespread snowfall.

I was brought up around North Nottinghamshire, On 2 occasions a streamer passed through (in the fifties) and left that much snow in 2 - 3 hours of snow whilst up the road 1-2 miles, there was sunshine. I remember going home on the school bus, as school was abandoned!! At home we had NO SNOW. 

I think that the best way to think of them is like thinking/wondering whether a summer/pulse thunderstorm will hit you.

For what it is worth 25cms was very unlikely. Sorry if people did not understand the message.

MIA  

Edit -  temp just 0.9C with sunshine!!   Somewhere around will get hit. Just watch the Radar.

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

You are lucky to get that much,lol.A few grains and flurries but virtually nothing on the ground here around 9 miles north of Coventry. 

Yes im counting my lucky snow stars that i have this much!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Here in N Worcs there was a dusting overnight, which has mostly evaporated now. Occasional showers of very small flakes, but that's all. Nothing remotely approaching another dusting, let alone a covering. We look to be in between two streamers here, and that's how it goes sometimes. Not too upset though as my hopes weren't that high for this far west. Currently 1.3 °C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)
3 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

And booooom !!!!whiteout here!!

send it this way   Just had a polystyrene flurry for cliffs sake!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

Snow is melting here. It stuck around longer in December when I had less snow depth, higher due points and +10c warmer 850s

Posted
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

Looks like the showers are getting heavier to me. 

Not exactly Narnia out there but doing better than I’d feared. Another fun winter day!

E3B7B9EF-D99A-4FD3-920C-23308A979C55.jpeg

866DBFCB-B70E-4675-8247-CD8D4F78EEEC.jpeg

So Lucky (compared to where I am) everything from last night melted.  Had a small graupel shower that left a tiny bit sitting on the windowsill and pavement cracks.  Got a sparse few tiny (re. microscopic) flakes that are just blow-overs from the moor's constantly drifting by but that's all so far.  

1116332480_IMG_20210208_1231385531.thumb.jpg.bac22961331a006fb331f5ab2ba0f146.jpg