Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Feb 2021 Onward

Summer of 95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
7 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Well that's that for the next couple of hours at least. Huge gap in Northeast Midlands and Lincolnshire.

Aye, heading here, snow is wet anyway and not settling, perhaps a good thing? hoping for better after 4pm or so

Posted

I always felt off about this since seeing the winds would be NE or ENE. Much of the North Midlands is in a gap between the Humber and the Wash when winds come from the NE. A straight Easterly is what is needed for the North Midlands to get a Wash streamer.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

I always felt off about this since seeing the winds would be NE or ENE. Much of the North Midlands is in a gap between the Humber and the Wash when winds come from the NE. A straight Easterly is what is needed for the North Midlands to get a Wash streamer.

Tomorrow looks like what you mentioned but instead of the north midlands its the central mids that gets the streamer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning
4 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

The former for here. Definitely the latter when I lived in the South East. 

At least this powdery snow is a different experience to the what we’ve had so far this winter.

Yh its nice watching it dance and blow about in the Wind. Also hopefully at some point we should see a front moving in at the end of the week to attempt to dislodge the cold air. Chance of something decent then maybe. But still give me a northerly anytime.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

A yellow warning is not required for a dusting of snow, which is what 90% of us in the warning area have.

No it’s not. But what about the 10% (going from your figures) who have got a couple of cm...which is what the warning says?

You may end up being right, but it’s too early for the post mortem yet. For now, the potential is there for someone to get a good covering of snow.

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ice days,and snow,snow,snow...

I was a little disappointed with the amount we have in Notts..

until I came on here and now I feel greedy...!

been snowing all morning lightly with patchy moderate bursts, and we have a huge 30mm...

20210208_103223.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, sub zero said:

I was a little disappointed with the amount we have in Notts..

until I came on here and now I feel greedy...!

been snowing all morning lightly with patchy moderate bursts, and we have a huge 30mm...

20210208_103223.jpg

hey, thats a nice little covering that! (and we're all dead jealous in the west mids)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

Yh its nice watching it dance and blow about in the Wind. Also hopefully at some point we should see a front moving in at the end of the week to attempt to dislodge the cold air. Chance of something decent then maybe. But still give me a northerly anytime.

not until next Tues on the GFS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
13 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

So what are people's preferences a northerly with the chance of heavy but marginal snow. Or an Easterly with snow less marginal but much lighter unless you get lucky with a front pushing inland. So far 15cm from the North. Icing sugar from the East lol. Its going to have to go some to hit those euro4 targets.

Think I’d have to go for a Northerly myself 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, snowangel32 said:

Big difference in climate between here and the South East.

Easterlies aren’t great here and the more marginal conditions from the north or west are great. Whereas in London the marginal stuff never delivers. It’s infinitely worse than an easterly is here, but an easterly down there can be amazing and is the only time they get proper winter weather.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

not until next Tues on the GFS

Haven't been on MOD thread or looked at any charts so I presume the cold is putting up more of a fight than predicted. So its icing sugar all week nice lol.

Posted

Actually have quite heavy snow here right now, putting a good covering down.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Gord said:

Actually have quite heavy snow here right now, putting a good covering down.

You in Dudley mate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, fog and ice!

I really can't complain at this Winter especially after the last two. I have seen snow falling on several days and had two decent falls. A below average January and possibly February if you look at the current models. It has been snowing on and off for nearly 12 hours now. Nothing other than a sugar dusting but nice to see. We still might have some surprises this week yet. It's a bit of a lottery but some lucky areas could do really well just like the Rugby area has so far this morning. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny
7 minutes ago, Shezale coventry said:

To illustrate to incompetence of the beeb forecast the next 5 hours and right now should be heavy snow but other than a few flakes flying around theres nothinf

Screenshot_20210208-103551_Samsung Internet.jpg

Problem is that it is going for, on average a 50% chance of snow showers between 1-5pm. So toss a coin, you may get lucky with a heavy snow shower at some point in the next 5 hours. With these app forecasts, for me anything over 66% I would take as a decent chance of occurring, with over 75% being probable.

Beeb is going for 99% chance of heavy snow showers over me, and now we have a heavy snow shower! Earlier this morning the % was much less, and we had light snow grains.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold
2 hours ago, Snowy L said:

Very poor here, woke up to everything still green. Showers mostly dying in the East Midlands, this wasn't in the forecast.

Yeah rubbish here as usual all the showers weakened before they get to us or miss all together, I am not complaining too much as I am out driving. But would be nice if we had a little more. 

We never seem do do great for snow from the east. Nice and cold yes but not snow.

It's a pity because when we do get some from northerly setups they tend to be marginal with temperature so it never sticks around. Get decent cold in from the east no snow.

It's nice out and about though those pathetic tiny snow balls.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Cold

Moderate snow and some more intense showers actually aligned to hit me for once, almost can't believe it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Anyone else looking at the precipitation charts?  Arpege v Icon V Euro4?   Not showing much going forward after today.  Guessing showers will continue to pop up though which is probably why the yellow warning is in place.  

Still light snow on and off here.  A bit meh to be honest so far!  Radar looking good NE of East Mids though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

Just had an decent shower here, still going now but was fairly intense for 10 mins and looked like a scene from siberia. Looking at the radar, I was fairly lucky. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, snowangel32 said:

You in Dudley mate.

Yeah I’m at home. In work later. Haven’t a clue where they’re sending me today!

• Thanks 1

Posted

I was fearing I’d miss out on this completely and not see a flake but hoping by some miracle I would see a lot. So far it’s kind of a compromise with frequent light snow showers and a dusting.

Showers will continue right through tonight into tomorrow, so many a better chance of a covering after dark. The Amber warning to the east couldn’t look more wrong though.

Posted

Thinking this is a bust for here unless things pick up. Rugby seems to be in a good spot still so perhaps 10cms possible there.