Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Discussion Feb 2021 Onward

Summer of 95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny
10 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Streamer setting up for leicester

It looks like a decent one, from North Nottingamshire down in to leicestershire are in the firing line!

Also just noticed an amber warning out for nottinghamshire...was not expecting that!!

Edited by Ninman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
1 minute ago, WelfordRd said:

Yeah better chances than we had a hour ago, can they keep the intensity? 

That’s the question, no lack of shower activity but the mountains of Leicestershire are wiping them out currently. 

• Like 1

Posted

Just started to snow very very lightly in Hinckley, can't really tell as its windy so could be blowing about a bit. Got a victoria cake dusting here, but that was from last evenings action

Posted

Woke up to a covering in this part of Stoke and it's snowing at the moment. Feel I'm doing as well as I could expect, so no moaning....yet!

• Like 2

Posted
38 minutes ago, Lisa Martin said:

Been watching this thread the last few days - seems am in the firing line here just between mansfield and worksop. Decided to keep my little boy home today so wfh will be interesting wfh with a toddler under foot problem is I live on a hill on the edge of fields which doesn't get touched by gritters

Where are you I am Warsop x

Posted
Just now, WelfordRd said:

Anyone know if the sun coming out will melt any lying snow. I know it's not planned to get above 0 degrees today but that doesn't always matter? 

More likely to sublimate due to the dry air/low dew points.

Posted
4 minutes ago, WelfordRd said:

Anyone know if the sun coming out will melt any lying snow. I know it's not planned to get above 0 degrees today but that doesn't always matter? 

Depends if there is a covering.  Less than a cm will struggle in sustained sunshine ......will slowly melt from the edges but with the wind strong it will be more of a sublimation effect rather than the ground becoming noticeably wet.  Will there be that much sunshine today ?? 

today reminds me of a mid February day in the late seventies  ........ all we got in the Mercury in those days was five tiny lines on the front page ..... persistent snow showers in a cold easterly didn’t actually accumulate away from walls where it blew into small drifts but the next day was one of the best snow days ever in Leicester ....sadly that same disturbance in the flow isn’t coming for tomorrow ! 

Edited by bluearmy

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Depends if there is a covering.  Less than a cm will struggle in sustained sunshine ......will slowly melt from the edges but with the wind strong it will be more of a sublimation effect rather than the ground becoming noticeably wet.  Will there be that much sunshine today ?? 

First thing this morning the cloud was broken here, its clouded over again now, so suspect there may be some sunshine about 

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Moderate snow here blowing in gale force winds, plenting of drifting with snow being lifted off the fields.

Temp -3c

Wind Chill -8c

Posted

Got a sugar dusting here too. Snowing heavy here now though so hopefullly we can get a more substantial covering.

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)
7 hours ago, B-C said:

light snow again here, settling a bit too. Always as I decide to go to bed

Looks like a didn't miss anything then?  Just took a little peek at the radar and looks a lot more like it!  Lots of activity and light snow started again here.

Posted

Looked like I was in a long clear slot on the radar not long ago.  Now it looks like lots of showers are heading in this direction. Shows that things can change quite quickly, and it’s good that the risk will last 24 hours+ rather than just an hour or 2.