Midlands Regional Discussion Feb 2021 Onward

Summer of 95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh
2 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

That sounds bloody lovely 

may have to top it off with an egg for good measure

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

2 streamers in the mids, one setting up now toward Nottingham, Amber warning put out to start at 6am, 

The other one through Peterborough into Warwickshire, im directly under it toward the southern tip, so they real heavy stuff stays toward Kettering etc, but iv got a dusting and it's been snowing most the night blowing around. Let's look forward to further developments today and hope to have widespread disruption! 

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, syed2878 said:

must admit one of the reasons I hate easterly winds here because it doesn’t deliver anything apart from being bitterly cold except a few occasions 2018 was one of those.

Tbh mate, I didn't expect any Snow, but even the Cold isn't anything Severe, just like it wasn't in 2018. Yeah the wind feels cold, but compared to the -15s we had in 2010, its poor. Lets hope we get something much colder or more snowy as we go on. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Andypvfc said:

Tbh mate, I didn't expect any Snow, but even the Cold isn't anything Severe, just like it wasn't in 2018. Yeah the wind feels cold, but compared to the -15s we had in 2010, its poor. Lets hope we get something much colder or more snowy as we go on. 

Thing is, this is what some people don't understand. The uppers were nothing special in 2010 but it happened at the time of year with the lowest solar input and the flow was often slacker. These two things combined to give us those desperately low temperatures. I'm really not a fan of February cold spells and by the middle of the month I'd rather have some mild days and sunshine (when it can feel quite pleasant).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty and fresh
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Thing is, this is what some people don't understand. The uppers were nothing special in 2010 but it happened at the time of year with the lowest solar input and the flow was often slacker. These two things combined to give us those desperately low temperatures. I'm really not a fan of February cold spells and by the middle of the month I'd rather have some mild days and sunshine (when it can feel quite pleasant).

i'm doing double night shifts for all of Feb covering for someone who is shielding plus my own. i know what you mean with out the white stuff it can drag a bit at least im in bed for most of the day so don't have to look at cold grey drab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
11 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

2 streamers in the mids, one setting up now toward Nottingham, Amber warning put out to start at 6am, 

The other one through Peterborough into Warwickshire, im directly under it toward the southern tip, so they real heavy stuff stays toward Kettering etc, but iv got a dusting and it's been snowing most the night blowing around. Let's look forward to further developments today and hope to have widespread disruption! 

I somehow doubt we will get any disruption from this easterly apart from east side of the UK and south I suppose.

Posted

December 2010 was a truly exceptional, historic event. Can’t expect events like that to happen frequently and an event doesn’t have to be that severe to be good. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
20 minutes ago, Shezale coventry said:

Woke upto no snow and the forecast has changed to bone dry for cov and dry for the rest of the week. Never a fan of easterly winds. But to the guys in the east midlands enjoy!

Yeah said all along easterly wind = bone dry here.  

Posted
10 hours ago, Potent Gust said:

Same. Will be watching the Superbowl as well

yeah didn't quite work out. Woke up on the sofa at 3.00am freezing my bits off and decided to go to bed! And not much snow either!!

Been watching this thread the last few days - seems am in the firing line here just between mansfield and worksop. Decided to keep my little boy home today so wfh will be interesting wfh with a toddler under foot problem is I live on a hill on the edge of fields which doesn't get touched by gritters

Edited by Lisa Martin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
29 minutes ago, Shezale coventry said:

Woke upto no snow and the forecast has changed to bone dry for cov and dry for the rest of the week. Never a fan of easterly winds. But to the guys in the east midlands enjoy!

Why do you look at a weather app its pointless. 

Stick to radar and models, 

• Like 1

Posted

You can see the showers lose intensity as they cross the M1, which is why the warnings don’t extend any further west. One or two will break through to the West Midlands giving a quick covering I’m sure, but this one isn’t going to be our finest I reckon.

Best of luck to the East Midlands today. For some of you, it could be quite a special day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS
6 minutes ago, Gord said:

You can see the showers lose intensity as they cross the M1, which is why the warnings don’t extend any further west. One or two will break through to the West Midlands giving a quick covering I’m sure, but this one isn’t going to be our finest I reckon.

Best of luck to the East Midlands today. For some of you, it could be quite a special day.

I'm thinking the showers and streamers will become stronger when the sun rises giving them more chance In sustaining some intensity and pushing further west.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and sunny

A slight dusting last night around midnight which looks to have drifted in the strong winds (my car looks like a zebra!) Just starting to snow again now - checked the radar and a streamer looks to be set up straight over me, so could be a good morning here!

Posted

Come on folk! The cold spell has only been with us properly for less than 24 hours, there are lots of things that can change and go in our favour.

Remember, the best snow events are the ones that pop up unannounced, like the amber warning have just east of us.

Anyway, lets enjoy the bitter cold wind and snow blowing about in it, because that hardly ever happens :-) 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, i love snow said:

I'm thinking the showers and streamers will become stronger when the sun rises giving them more chance In sustaining some intensity and pushing further west.

Yeah, that’s possible. What we really need though is the wind to swing just a little more to the east. Get a nice fast track straight from the Wash like February 2009.

This reminds me of the end of November/start of December 2010. The easterly had a bit of a northerly element to it then. Some parts of the East Midlands got buried while we took the leftovers and got a quick cm or two in selected spots.

Posted

Wash area seems to have fired up a bit in the last hour, can the showers keep there strength as they pass Leicester and head in towards the rest of the Midlands. All fingers crossed and toes 

Edited by WelfordRd