Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model thread discussion - cold spell looming

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's busy right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.
There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
1 hour ago, Tim Bland said:

Looking at the radar was a nice surprise this morning ! As many have said - The models really are poor at picking up convection ! 

Mostly great output this morning but just to keep our feet on the ground GEM shows us what can go wrong . At first glance the ensembles don’t look that cold but then I remembered we are at the coldest point of the year so the red line (climatological average) is below zero, so almost all of them keep us in the snow game ??

A5EAFE86-D965-4F79-977D-D1DB4429804F.jpeg

1E99CF54-FE39-49C1-BF3C-85DD7ED1975D.png

DFB131F4-B57C-447C-9D77-2114C5D172E3.png

True, but remove the lightest yellow from the radar, which is just dandruff, and it is a little less impressive. Hopefully will pep up though.

• Like 5

Posted
14 minutes ago, Dave Kightley said:

It's actually very rainy on that chart for the south as the uppers are to warm

Low dew points being dragged in from the continent though.

• Like 1

Posted

I would just like to say a theory on something see if you folks agree with me,but when the models are showing extreme cold in central Europe heading towards the UK like they was couple days ago for next week's weather.just a theory but you have to think about it and realise it's very likely not too happen because rarely would you see northern and eastern Europe quite mild well milder then average ,more often then not the cold is stored up in that area rather then central Europe,so those charts in my opinion that were showing -16-18 uppers into central Europe in the UK are very unlikely to verify.just my theory on things as it looks quite unrealistic.obviously I do hope that I am wrong

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

An encouraging start to our “ Save the easterly campaign “ !

The ICON has the high turnout further north at day 5 with the upstream low corrected westwards .

Apologies for the off topic reply, however, decent convective snowfall so far here today in Nottinghamshire. Feeling hopeful for the runs later today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

8 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

An encouraging start to our “ Save the easterly campaign “ !

The ICON 06 hrs run has the high further north at day 5 with the upstream low corrected westwards .

TBH i never thought the Easterly that soon was on the table, at most 50% of the suite went that way and certainly now its looking off the table, i was more in the D12-15 range, however the high is just staying in the same position, we dont want an in between here, we either want a low to the West pushing in, neutrally tilted with a front N-S or NNW-SSE - (think 5th feb 1996), or we want the high further West and rectangularly orientated with uppers sourced from the Arctic curving into N Europe and then to us on a screaming E or NE flow, we don't want to just be left in a kind of col with no PPN - thats where i think we might be headed though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

TBH i never thought the Easterly that soon was on the table, at most 50% of the suite went that way and certainly now its looking off the table, i was more in the D12-15 range, however the high is just staying in the same position, we dont want an in between here, we either want a low to the West pushing in, neutrally tilted with a front N-S or NNW-SSE - (think 5th feb 1996), or we want the high further West and rectangularly orientated with uppers sourced from the Arctic curving into N Europe and then to us on a screaming E or NE flow, we don't want to just be left in a kind of col with no PPN - thats where i think we might be headed though.

And eventually a slow rise in temps , a breakdown of rain from the West ......................now that wouldn't surprise me 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
3 minutes ago, MJB said:

And eventually a slow rise in temps , a breakdown of rain from the West ......................now that wouldn't surprise me 

Always the most likely outcome in the UK unfortunately 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Notty said:

Always the most likely outcome in the UK unfortunately 

I wouldn't mind just as long as the Atlantic can get in first ( this week , attempt 1) and then deliver 

image.thumb.png.c9edc3a68401d098eb8a5b1001dffe42.png

And it's struggling to get here 

• Like 3

Posted

A tad disappointing this morning with the models.  I wouldn’t have minded so much if it was looking like I was getting lots of snow this week, however.  Still, all part of the roller coaster ride I suppose?!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Battleground Snow said:

Obituaries being written a bit too soon again I think , we have seen the models try to push the Atlantic in for over 2 weeks now, but when it gets to within 96 hours it never happens, MJO and AAM means we are primed for blocking,

GFS a marginal improvement at 150, in terms the high orientation, but not much in it.

gfsnh-0-150 (16).png

I'm not so sure I think we will drift into nothingness If I'm honest , a dry spell and a slow rise before the HP gives up , seen that many times 

image.thumb.png.5daa55a1e3bb2ccf589f6ab5203e7d56.png

Next push a week today all the while the 850's are creeping back to Europe ....on this run 

image.thumb.png.be27e2b539a75ec85d7405c47dae90f9.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, MJB said:

I'm not so sure I think we will drift into nothingness If I'm honest , a dry spell and a slow rise before the HP gives up , seen that many times 

image.thumb.png.5daa55a1e3bb2ccf589f6ab5203e7d56.png

Next push a week today all the while the 850's are creeping back to Europe ....on this run 

image.thumb.png.be27e2b539a75ec85d7405c47dae90f9.png

Yes, it's not going to make it this run, but well into FI at 180 now. We need energy to head under the block.

gfsnh-0-180 (9).png

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Battleground Snow said:

Yes, it's not going to make it this run, but well into FI at 180 now. We need energy to head under the block.

gfsnh-0-180 (9).png

Yeh not aa good but still very cold at 180 hours!!think we should forget bout the easteerly now and think if we can retrogress the high!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The trend still looks to be turning settled by Thursday with long spells of sunshine away from any fronts trying to get in from the west.

The GFS sets up a strong south easterly wind by the weekend, which will feel raw with temperatures still struggling to get above freezing.

image.thumb.png.5070cb0743bc8b69650b89d105f3e174.png   image.thumb.png.2a587efb9b259160e38af0ce2fda8a7a.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Howie said:

What's causing the high to just suddenly sink like that?

I guess too much energy moving North and east over the the top of the high.we need it to stall in the atlantic,then move back westwards rather then east northeastwards

Ds

Posted

image.thumb.png.d3fabd37073d51cb01f8f46c4e764703.png

Might get some battelground snow from it at least 

image.thumb.png.f2c643dfda7110fbb41305031f109ed8.png

image.thumb.png.d98628c6f464739fa2bdee4187595b38.png

I think we have moved away from a reload Easterly now 

@210 though will we get something from the NE

image.thumb.png.5a10e640d924aa6113e52a1ddc088f03.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
3 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Not enough energy going underneath to prop it up

Much to be resolved and prob won't be till the high starts to develop & the US storm begins to dissipate.

The starting blocks are all there and if it doesn't quite get there, at least it stays cold keeping majority of snow cover on the ground throughout.

Dare I say it, we could do with some settled weather, but just 1 or 2 days then I want reload & is promising that most variations have the starting blocks still to set up the HP.

More runs needed

• Like 4