Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model thread discussion - cold spell looming

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's busy right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.
There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
3 minutes ago, radiohead said:

I don't think the UK would have seen uppers that cold since 1991? Not 100% sure though.

We did in 2018 I think, but that was into March.  Think we got a -18 at some point?

• Like 1

Posted

GFS 18z is probably the coldest run I’ve ever seen the sea would start to freeze! Looking at ens plenty warm 850s which doesn’t necessarily translate to surface warming, but then drops away very cold again.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Gefs is a big step towards a cut off scandi upper ridge ....

actually, it’s more than a step ....

it has a mean cut off  scandi upper  ridge by day 9/10!

Yes just looked at that now with colder winds backing more SE than the 12z

gensnh-31-1-240.thumb.png.8c0fc919516404a7df5a240203ced2a5.png

and how much of a blip would this mild episode be?,we have been here before over recent days

the mean tanking below -5 again in the ext.

1994536092_ens_image(1).thumb.png.b3c4e4039e67b55dec0c4475bd946c20.png

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Don said:

Probably more January 1987 I would have thought?

How about the beast from 2018/19? - Some people don't realise or forget how cold the uppers were!

GFSOPEU18_378_2.png

CFSR_1_2018022818_2.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Short ENS show a majority of members now trending to extended cold or very cold after a brief slightly less cold phase of the 850hPa uppers.

image.thumb.png.b0b76ff3ce4ce86182a28c7a75660eb0.png

The surface 2M show the temps under the HP inversion just continue very cold throughout for the vast majority.

image.thumb.png.7e657e89e89b4a65fe6b12c0d3481e89.png

Edited by Purga
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
24 minutes ago, spayne said:

it’ll all end in tears, ramping up a chart 15 days away, will no one learn..!!!!

No.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
24 minutes ago, ICE COLD said:

You think you seen it all in the last week and then this comes out 

48D2C308-5B8F-4000-A9DD-918A297AB3C1.png

9B90A134-2A19-4700-A85C-B3100BC85D33.png

Blimey my Eyes are frozen!

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Purga said:

Short ENS show a majority of members now trending to extended cold or very cold after a brief slightly less cold phase of the 850hPa uppers.

image.thumb.png.b0b76ff3ce4ce86182a28c7a75660eb0.png

The surface 2M show the temps under the HP inversion just continue very cold throughout for the vast majority.

image.thumb.png.7e657e89e89b4a65fe6b12c0d3481e89.png

This is really starting to look like a quite prolonged and severe spell isn't it?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Howie said:

This is really starting to look like a quite prolonged and severe spell isn't it?

Yes, it certainly is isn’t it.  Good runs today from GEM, ECM, UKMO as far as it goes, and GFS especially the pub run. It is consistent with background signals MJO and AAM, and also with the downwelling of the SSW including latest warming.  So it looks about as nailed on cold spell as one could wish for.  What is less certain and will require the detail to unfold, is extent of snow....but we’ll be watching!

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Yes, it certainly is isn’t it.  Good runs today from GEM, ECM, UKMO as far as it goes, and GFS especially the pub run. It is consistent with background signals MJO and AAM, and also with the downwelling of the SSW including latest warming.  So it looks about as nailed on cold spell as one could wish for.  What is less certain and will require the detail to unfold, is extent of snow....but we’ll be watching!

I feel tingly

• Like 1

The GFS Ops run was staggering but Unsurprisingly is right towards the bottom of the ensembles pack. There’s a huge 20c plus spread around the 15th so absolutely anything is possible. 

Posted
25 minutes ago, Don said:

Probably more January 1987 I would have thought?

-18c uppers here in Jan 87 but that was an exceptionally cold couple of days - struggled to get above -5C for 72 hours....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

GEFS - Easterly with colder air actually heading back towards the UK on a T300+ mean chart.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow

What I will say on the subject of extreme cold, people rightly saying that it’s all going to go badly when these beauts don’t materialise, but what I will say is the trend is there, yes it most likely won’t be like this come the day, but the way things are going models wise I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re talking about the February of 2021 for years to come. Sweet dreams

• Like 2

Posted

I'd be quite scared if that came to fruition  We could be on the cusp of a lengthy cold spell here looking at all the models!

gfs-0-354.thumb.png.3a8a3c1eac84427b4de252d667300159.png    gfs-1-372.thumb.png.5a73fd7a4ca7d26567de8c2fda325d29.png

Feb 1991 maybe paying a visit on the 30 year anniversary. Or 1986, even better.

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, nic said:

-18c uppers here in Jan 87 but that was an exceptionally cold couple of days - struggled to get above -5C for 72 hours....

Here’s the chart, that is, we believe the record....

F542426B-5979-42FD-94FA-9E195FCAD8CB.thumb.png.86de4ab61afe96f83ea12edd41e49d8f.png

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 5

Posted
27 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Yes Scott then phase 8/1 for complete retrogression for a northerly afterwards,all roads lead to cold at the moment,lets see if w can get the second bite of the cherry from 192 the a third one later on,seems plausable but don't take my word for it lol

BTW,i hope that your mother is doing OK mate☺️

Wow guys really looking ahead, thats next weekend for phase 8 and 24th for effect

Although phase 6 is Scandinavian blocking 7/8 in Greenland blocking and into phase 1 is Atlantic taking over.

With the lag effect we do have a fortnight plus of opportunity with Easterly  then most  likely Northerly and if we get that far it can have its phase 1,  i know thats forecast but in all honesty i see phase 8 into COD, but we will see.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

Here’s the chart, that is, we believe the record....

A9425DD8-48E6-44B0-9935-D7F3FABED99B.thumb.png.ca3df7e94f9349ba3ae17644bafeaba4.png

that still amazes me - 12 inches and you couldn't have a snowball fight with it!!

• Like 1