Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model thread discussion - cold spell looming

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's busy right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.
There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

8 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

I'm saving this chart for 144 on Friday and will post the actual snow depths people attain to see how close it was 

There seems to be a fierce debate in here whether or not the models are  seeing the convection. I am in the camp that they are underplaying streamers, especially with -12 to -14 air moving over water, but we will see what happens

snowdepth_20210206_00_144.jpg

I'm more intrigued by why it shows greater snow depth west of the Pennines rather than east, given orographic influence should, in theory, benefit those east of the Pennines. Many other models show this, after all.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

ECM mean, improved from last night, although I thought the spread would go even lower that the end...

In the extended they might I guess 

london_ecmsd850 (14).png

london_ecmsd850 (15).png

Trouble is, the 850hpa temperatures won’t tell the story if we have surface cold but milder air aloft.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Tuesday/Wednesday for the sw may hold interest also going by that.❄️

Yes, just about makes it into Cornwall but wouldn’t take much of a shirt to bring more of the south into play

0DDBD336-312D-4683-A32C-555685DDFD39.jpeg

154A0F34-5551-4921-8E28-54E44992A6DD.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

I'm more intrigued by why it shows greater snow depth west of the Pennines rather than east, given orographic influence should, in theory, benefit those east of the Pennines. Many other models show this, after all.

Think that’s the snow that falls tonight. As it turns cold and stays cold after. that snow could still be on the ground at day 10!

BE78C750-81B4-42FC-BA5E-586910079976.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, IDO said:

A clear signal that the Atlantic stalls to our west by Thursday and that we get a pressure rise around the UK, all the gefs at d16 show this:

gens_panel_yys9.png

The gfs op looks about the worst case scenario and has a different upstream development at d8-9 where the HP train cuts through the trough to our west to flatten the pattern, the ECM and gem go under the trough and the energy pushes north via the developing UK high:

1262125114_gfseu-0-216(2).thumb.png.57faf5c1f963c6d698930e6211152b9b.png1651023492_ECE1-216(2).thumb.gif.e084b8cbc58360c4c126faad835d9371.gif

The op synoptic has support so cannot yet rule out.

GEFS; the three main clusters at d10 on the ensembles are UK high (control and op), mid-lat high to our east or high-lat high to the NE, with a cluster of collapsing patterns. The trend is good but at that range we have phasing and other issues to resolve. Still, we are heading in a good direction and 5-days of cold looks a good call for the minimum length of this cold spell!

My take is that the high will retogress northwards adding to the blocking and halt thea Atlantic completely 

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

I'm saving this chart for 144 on Friday and will post the actual snow depths people attain to see how close it was 

There seems to be a fierce debate in here whether or not the models are  seeing the convection. I am in the camp that they are underplaying streamers, especially with -12 to -14 air moving over water, but we will see what happens

snowdepth_20210206_00_144.jpg

GFS has more for most  (pre breakdown) so will be interesting to see which is correct ...

5680E9DD-9C15-456D-982F-CCA3E9C03288.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Model output getting really interesting as regards later into next week, just a day or so ago gfs ecm showing the block getting beat up by the Atlantic and while the gfs still shows something akin to that ecm holds the cold block virtually for the entire run......fun times model watching ahead....!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
2 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Just on this.  The GEM was first to  really go for the current set up coming and this isn’t it’s first run to suggest the block holding and winning.  ECM looks to like it too.  One of the great weeks of model watching ahead.....in fact what a great winter for model watching thus far.

I’m surprised it isn’t busier in here

BFTP

Absolutely this, I genuinely cannot think of a better winter for model watching.  There has barely been a week where there wasn't some interest, whether it be SSW related, FI shenanigans or cold and snow events (not so much for my area, but many areas further north have had plenty to enjoy). 

If Carlsberg did weather watching and all that.....  

• Like 9

Posted

UKMO has the Atlantic trying to push in fron the south west Thursday brining snow...will it make it in at all though...that’s the million peseta question today

44120240-583A-42CD-B025-78E6BAEFDFAD.jpeg

406D3544-702A-4AFE-A7E1-2499A5EED43D.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Just on this.  The GEM was first to  really go for the current set up coming and this isn’t it’s first run to suggest the block holding and winning.  ECM looks to like it too.  One of the great weeks of model watching ahead.....in fact what a great winter for model watching thus far.

BFTP

Hardcore weather watches we enjoy the battle .But unless snow is involved in the forecast for there area 70 percent of average weather watcher are just not interested .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
12 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

BFTP

Imagine if these day 10 charts are the way forward and this week is just a taster of the next course fascinating model watching.
And all this actually happening in winter and not spring this time!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

As @Uncertainy mentions above, much credit should probably be given to the ongoing Pacific forcing, shown by the MJO plot. Assuming the likes of ENSO is playing ball and we are getting a ‘connect’, and it looks like we are.

E0C38369-DC81-4ABD-8D10-73F537201831.thumb.gif.3d38dc9200761a481ea32b67051809c4.gif

All too often we are willing it on to hit record breaking amplitudes in P6/7/8 (Feb’18 hit an incredible SD of nigh on 4 if I remember correctly). But as extreme as the consequences could end up being, it also appears to increase the easterly pace of the convection wave? What we have now is the MJO, still at a very decent amplitude, but stalling (and I am only postulating here) I would naturally assume that this is something that is far more conducive to longevity in terms of a potential cold spell for us, again, under the right coupling circumstances.

Thinking back to that very early March’18 cold spell, as ridiculously extreme as it was (for any time of the year, let alone March!), it was scuppered much earlier than had been expected, by the block being pulled too far NW at an eye popping speed. I’m sure this could be traced back to what the MJO was showing. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
24 minutes ago, Steel City Skies said:

Assuming you mean the Lancs/Yorks part then to me it looks like it’s showing it over the Pennines rather than west of them.

the westward “lump” shown is actually the West Pennine Moors and reach a long way across Lancashire to within about 20 miles of the coast.

I know what you mean though as regards orographic precipitation but we often get the same effects here where the western upslopes end up with lighter rain and snow which then intensifies again as it hits lower ground over the other side of the Pennines.

that said, ignore the snow maps, if there’s snow coming from the North Sea you’ll get the lions share in Yorkshire, just let the snow starved North West have a bit though

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, keithlucky said:

Hardcore weather watches we enjoy the battle .But unless snow is involved in the forecast for there area 70 percent of average weather watcher are just not interested .

I'm still lurking :,-)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, especially heavy snow.

Day 10 on the GEM is a thing of beauty!  You wait for a severe cold spell [from the east], then two come along in quick succession?460067827_Screenshot2021-02-06081744.thumb.png.16d48840eb0fdab363a22e2fb3c56597.png353144281_Screenshot2021-01-09144122.thumb.png.4597219d8fc3eb5d9d1024d3966873e1.png

• Like 5

Posted
13 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

UKMO has the Atlantic trying to push in fron the south west Thursday brining snow...will it make it in at all though...that’s the million peseta question today

44120240-583A-42CD-B025-78E6BAEFDFAD.jpeg

406D3544-702A-4AFE-A7E1-2499A5EED43D.jpeg

Hoping it does push in to a point.....snow wise for our little corner sheltered from the easterly's

• Like 2