Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model thread discussion - cold spell looming

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's busy right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.
There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Both the GFS, Para and ECM want to give it another go with amplification around the 18th.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
7 minutes ago, joggs said:

?????????

Not going to happen now - thought that WAA was going to lead to an Easterly with that very cold trough dropping into Europe.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
8 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Bizarre ! The GEFS still show a decent amount of solutions that are better than the op run.

You’d think they’d be jumping ship by now given the other outputs and the ECM ensembles .

Still a slightly worse suite than the 12z though.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Frosty Winter said:

Yes I do agree, and I’m sorry if I came across as negative in my post as that certainly wasn’t my intention. It just seems to be our best shot at a decent snow event that quite a few people can benefit from and I’ll take anything I can get at this point.

Wasn't negative at all , I think we would all take 1 or 2 big snow events that ended the spell, but there is an option where we can get the snow and keep the cold! 

I wasn't going to set the alarm for 4am for the first time in 2 weeks, if the 18z runs were poor, but I'll be back in the morning now

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

Not going to happen now - thought that WAA was going to lead to an Easterly with that very cold trough dropping into Europe.

Para wanted to give it a go too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I think that is the thing on a number of recent runs, not going to happen now - but a few tweaks and nods towards the MJO/AAM when the models realise it, it will become a possibility, we will know about Thursday or even 0z Friday I guess!!

• Like 2

Posted

Could be quite pleasant 

image.thumb.png.b1d229e19db58790ab1aba9d151851f9.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Didn’t realise there was a ECM parallel at the moment or is it new? Either way, it’s a similar run to the normal op.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, bradymk said:

Didn’t realise there was a ECM parallel at the moment or is it new? Either way, it’s a similar run to the normal op.

The gfs parallel is back on line again 

in a bit surprised to see so many posters surprised at another go at an amplified solution 

we are due at least one more downwelling wave - I think next week is probably too soon but beyond the 20th wouldn’t be which brings the back end of next week into play 

we got a hit from this current wave but no telling if the next will work out - as the sun gets higher and the days longer the requirements become ever more difficult to achieve ....

the Scots will tell you that their hit from third week jan has barely ended since !

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow
31 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Bizarre ! The GEFS still show a decent amount of solutions that are better than the op run.

You’d think they’d be jumping ship by now given the other outputs and the ECM ensembles .

Yes, indeed, we have a few little numbers like this appearing early next week

image.thumb.png.e61f1daf1d1fbd0ecedb3107321d75f9.pngimage.thumb.png.f8648f911909f7a65c46ca17ab0b8a83.pngimage.thumb.png.bee0e822d7a21cb99ef25f38b7d3dfb5.png

BTW Tomasz tonight still very unsure about the weekend. Early next week the flow could be mild SW or less cold S or cold SE - great uncertainty.

Edited by Purga
  • Like 9

Posted
24 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I think that is the thing on a number of recent runs, not going to happen now - but a few tweaks and nods towards the MJO/AAM when the models realise it, it will become a possibility, we will know about Thursday or even 0z Friday I guess!!

Hasn't there been musings that the MJO signal looks to be muted during the next couple of weeks though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow

UKMO slightly better then last night but way to Far East.. GFS upto Monday keeps things chilly away from the Far W/SW no point looking ahead of that as it's a waste of time

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Well I thought it would have been decided by this morning, but it's still very tight which way this is going to go,

GFS OP v para v ukmo at 144. Para is the best for cold holding on, all 3 have some kind on snow event Sunday.

UN144-21 (1) (16).gif

gfsnh-0-144 (1) (6).png

gfsnh-0-144 (1) (5).png

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Channel low = Heavy snow

It is annoying the output but I will always look if see if the high will move further West apart the initial bad position .. it really isn't that far off as long as it stays there if it goes West not South then good!

Edited by Dave Kightley
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Kightley said:

It is annoying the output but I will always look if see if the high will move further West apart the initial bad position .. it really isn't that far off as long as it stays there if it goes West not South then good!

Incredibly by day 8/9 the OP and para are backing the cold pool west, and maintaining the Scandi high... If met office have called this right, they are some kind of wizzards.

Will be fascinating if they hold firm with their long range forecast later 

gfsnh-0-222 (9).png

gfsnh-1-228 (4).png

gfsnh-0-198 (5).png

gfsnh-1-198 (6).png

• Like 9