Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model thread discussion - cold spell looming

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's busy right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.
There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Just a gentle reminder that this is the Model Output Discussion thread please. Other threads are available for other discussions:

Winter 2020/21 chat, ramps, moans and banter

Regional Discussions

February Cold Spell Discussions

Met Office Further Outlook

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
5 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

That’s yesterday’s 12z I don’t think 18z or 00z has any snow? Icon also backed away from throwing out that shortwave at the weekend.

some very respected meteorologists on Twitter are saying models always underestimate the strength of the block and the cold will hold firm. I’m not so sure. I can’t   Recall a time that all models were wrong at fairly short notice?   Some are hanging on every word of Carol Kirkwood this morning ...I can tell you 100% she is reading the script of last nights ECM.. they will switch to the new ECM run later .

yes apologies 

• Like 2

Posted

Then lets get this in and have some sort of snowy breakdown

image.thumb.png.47f19c944d2aa2cf5735817824015302.png

image.thumb.png.c06b8bb03381b8aafae6f53443a86d8e.png

image.thumb.png.f4148951cfefb2f61e1d62ea491a8e7c.png

image.thumb.png.5cacdc9098ca8b69db8ac804feb8b95e.png

image.thumb.png.cb71b83a1e9ad80da3a9a9bcc6c78328.png

That's a hammering for some 

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

That’s yesterday’s 12z I don’t think 18z or 00z has any snow? Icon also backed away from throwing out that shortwave at the weekend.

some very respected meteorologists on Twitter are saying models always underestimate the strength of the block and the cold will hold firm. I’m not so sure. I can’t   Recall a time that all models were wrong at fairly short notice?   Some are hanging on every word of Carol Kirkwood this morning ...I can tell you 100% she is reading the script of last nights ECM.. they will switch to the new ECM run later .

The argument that models underestimate cold blocks does have some truth to it. On the flip side, I recall many times when the models sweep them aside and prove 100% correct. The trend yesterday was to almost cancel out a 'true' beast visiting our shores in around 7 days but kept us in a cold 'holding' pattern. This morning unfortunately they have stepped back further and taken away the cold holding pattern. Need to see what the other runs show as the day progresses before totally giving up the ghost. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, markw2680 said:

Come on people you can’t write off the cold coming back with a vengeance just yet, it’s Tuesday morning unless I’m mistaken? And yet we are saying it’s all over for the weekend! That’s 4-5 days away, a lot can change in the next day or two.

I expect the milder air to try and push in over the weekend but will probably only make it into the west before slowly the cold in the east will beat it back again. At least there’s a chance of snow coming in from the west

You are right a lot can change. On friday I was expecting 4 ice days and 5+cm of snow. Reality - 1 ice day and a dusting

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, MJB said:

Then lets get this in and have some sort of snowy breakdown

image.thumb.png.47f19c944d2aa2cf5735817824015302.png

image.thumb.png.c06b8bb03381b8aafae6f53443a86d8e.png

image.thumb.png.f4148951cfefb2f61e1d62ea491a8e7c.png

image.thumb.png.5cacdc9098ca8b69db8ac804feb8b95e.png

image.thumb.png.cb71b83a1e9ad80da3a9a9bcc6c78328.png

That's a hammering for some 

Looks at the accumulation charts it’s currently a slushy 1cm that lasts about an hour and only the north west Amd Scotland that sees anything significant ..I doubt Scotland will notice another 5cm on top of what they have let’s hope it adjusts south and changes the angle of attack so it doesn’t brush the cold away so quick and gives snow for more than an hour before rain 

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Looks at the accumulation charts it’s currently a slushy 1cm that lasts about an hour and only the north west Amd Scotland that sees anything significant ..I doubt Scotland will notice another 5cm on top of what they have let’s hope it adjusts south and changes the angle of attack so it doesn’t brush the cold away so quick and gives snow for more than an hour before rain 

It's potential which is an awful lot more than what is showing the charts for me currently lol ............I see the Beeb are still banging on about the cold winning , so what are they looking at ? Are they just a day behind ? 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Don't worry the icon has got this.

Does anyone remember the last time it modelled an intense high over Scandinavia and a piece of the vortex trying to come underneath better than all the others?

iconnh-0-120 (1) (6).png

iconnh-1-120 (11).png

Imagine if gfs goes the other way on the 06z

• Like 2

Posted

Well, looks like that could be it folks!  The MJO no longer looks to be very effective either, so I think once this cold spell (which I think has been the most disappointing I have ever known!!) is over, the rest of February may not be up to much.  Perhaps time to look forward to spring?!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
19 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Here’s some good news...

E2CA0682-27EF-4C2F-B624-D32491F1CE18.jpeg

Tbh I fully expect the cold air to win, the signals had a wobble on the models we use recently, but this mornings 0z is the strongest yet how many times have the over night runs done this? 

Also the last weather on BBC1 with carrol, with new graphics as it changed from the one before it, did a rare and extended look into next wk where she says they are expecting the cold air to run, that was with the over night runs on her graphics, 

I expect a shuttle shift over the next day or 2, a milder day or 2 yes, but with cold air fighting back 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
24 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Here’s some good news...

E2CA0682-27EF-4C2F-B624-D32491F1CE18.jpeg

To be fair, taking that chart at absolute face value, an anomaly like that shown won't translate to overly cold surface conditions given the time of year the chart is for (lengthening days, strengthening sun etc etc).  You would need the darker blues, as shown over Eastern Europe, to be overhead for something more worthwhile.

Admittedly, I'm taking it at face value though (not what anomaly charts are really for) and it obviously can be improved or watered down with regards to cold conditions.

Posted
1 minute ago, Griff said:

Blocking does seem very likely, if not inevitable, just the position is in question... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
Just now, Griff said:

Blocking does seem very likely, if not inevitable, just the position is in question... 

It’s a pity the shorter range models have shifted towards a milder outlook!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Polar Maritime said:

Battleground snowfall into the weekend with some big totals in places if the UKV is correct, To early for me to call whether the warmer air will win out atm..

96151133_viewimage-2021-02-09T094312_635.thumb.png.5130d7acb4cf0eb1db5a086618ce72d0.png1657685239_viewimage-2021-02-09T094325_656.thumb.png.f2a3e04f35eee47573445506da8fdbce.png582009614_viewimage-2021-02-09T094422_261.thumb.png.a091fd4c1bcb72bfa7a41745b41beef4.png

Still so much to be pinned down, yesterday it showed the south west getting a dumping, unsurprisingly its all rain this morning...

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
7 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Still so much to be pinned down, yesterday it showed the south west getting a dumping, unsurprisingly its all rain this morning...

Looking at yesterday's UKV at today's timeslot and current radar..

Screenshot_20210209_095630_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.d49b8f9b7fbfd77b0d723e3cc870b4cc.jpgScreenshot_20210209_095925_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.dd48458b8f95a106153ce63f8a04b48e.jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Little bit of a push-back West from the cold

GFS Op 06z -v- 00z

image.thumb.png.16258502c8351c4c8a1e0233ca099abd.png

image.thumb.png.da38022592ba8ce8d67f6ea35663f95b.png

Not for long though ...

image.thumb.png.9bfbd59fc8ea9c5202c9e5bd8c2233e8.png

That's it - I've had enough - bring on the Spanish plumes, roll on spring

Edited by Notty