Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model thread discussion - cold spell looming

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's busy right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.
There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

12Z GFS good for me! but takes the Atlantic 4 attempts to bring the snow! not that keen on cold and dry with not a snow chance, finally a decent day for next Monday! deep FI though as models all over place

prectypeuktopo.png

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, Bartlett High said:

I'd be happy with cold and dry if that's what's currently showing. 

I can’t imagine this being very dry for Wales I’m afraid ☔

E08E9FE3-69B4-47F4-B0E7-581B94082545.png

• Like 3

Posted
41 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Yes I totally agree - it's freezing cold but there is no accumulated snow in much of the country. Not a Feb '91 by any stretch. However, with the cold established, you just never know when there's going to be some frontal snow. I was looking at the famous Ian McCaskill forecast on YouTube from Feb 1991, and we had that low pushing up from France which gave us all the fantastic historical event that we all refer back to. The cold is here, the patterns will change, but sooner or later there's got to be a low pressure system in the vicinity to give us (as in most of the UK) some frontal snow surely. 

Onto the 12z's to watch for this happening!

Synoptics and conditions reminiscent of a large part of Feb 86, which was freezing but away from far eastern counties as well as far SW mostly very dry with just a few snowy flurries. 

• Like 5

Posted

When will people learn hahahah its just the models trying to slide away (like the oasis song) into Europe and high to regain strength as per meto update today . Cant see them being that wrong tbh. Sit back and enjoy it ... cold is here to stay at least for northern and Eastern areas anyway

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

12Z GFS good for me! but takes the Atlantic 4 attempts to bring the snow! not that keen on cold and dry with not a snow chance, finally a decent day for next Monday! deep FI though as models all over place

prectypeuktopo.png

Would prefer a Sunday to make a snow day.. mind its school holidays next week so the kids would enjoy it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

If we're heading towards the trough disruption route then theres going to be a lot of swings, in the run up the current cold spell as well as the proposed breakdown the models were abysmal with it all.

A big fat scandi high is likely easier to model than a wedge of heights with lows attempting to slide under. We have move away from the big fat scandi high as the models are now evermore keen on sending some heights NW.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

i do have to chuckle sometimes.

Some points to remember  Guys.

1.its the gfs with its known biases.

2 Any nationwide breakdown it shows is way past 144

3 Past 144 Its totally out of line with the latest meto update.

4. Its the gfs

5 Its the gfs

6 Its the gfs

7 Its the gfs

8 Its the gfs

9 Its the gfs

10.Its the gfs

To be fair, it's not just the GFS though!

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Snowman. said:

If we're heading towards the trough disruption route then theres going to be a lot of swings, in the run up the current cold spell as well as the proposed breakdown the models were abysmal with it all.

A big fat scandi high is likely easier to model than a wedge of heights with lows attempting to slide under. We have move away from the big fat scandi high as the models are now evermore keen on sending some heights NW.

Some charts to back this.

6z is big fat scandi high with its 'tail' going NE.

image.thumb.png.c3da8cae739fe22b2001b96af41226c6.png

12z is Scandi-Iceland block with undercutting. Tail going NW and the low is much more elongated.

image.thumb.png.2b1e6319495816ae93dd8fb872890b31.png

Where the two meet will be cold with an Easterly. 

If you want your Easterly with snow you're going to have to ride the line a little bit.

Edited by Snowman.
  • Like 9

Posted
6 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

To be fair, it's not just the GFS though!

Indeed and I think a lot of the moaning is a result of many places seeing disappointing amounts of snow from this current cold spell so far.  People mention February 1986 being similar but I did get some significant snow during that month.

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

As we discussed earlier - all to play for - a multitude of options could be available. The mild has already been delayed and pushed back once and this could happen again. Stay positive folks - with set ups like this things can flip from one day to the next 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Looks like it could be an outlier (or at least near to) in FI..signs of it appearing at the end of these short ensembles ...

E947713B-701F-4B40-ADF0-A15E568222C9.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

I would like to add however is the OPs are probably going to be better at deducing this than the ensembles and will find changes first

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*
28 minutes ago, JimBob said:

The models have been pretty consistent with the cold snap ending at the weekend for the majority of the country and continue to firm up on the idea. 

Evidence? 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I must admit I think we are headed for disappointment.  For many the weather hasn't materialised in such a magnificent way as it was being modelled to over these past six or seven days. I still think there is a lot of shannon entrophy about, not so much revealing itself it different runs from model to model, but from different outcomes to different outcomes. I think we are on a knife edge.  two weeks time could be 0C with snow showers or 15C in springlike sunshine. I'm of the opinion it's not going to be something inbetween!   

Edited by Paul
  • Like 4

Posted
26 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Looks like it could be an outlier (or at least near to) in FI..signs of it appearing at the end of these short ensembles ...

E947713B-701F-4B40-ADF0-A15E568222C9.jpeg

Right, the ensembles are still keeping it cold up to the 18th and quite dry too. OP looks like an outlier in Fl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

image.thumb.png.2c428efff3fc79cc939ec7ae334ca9c7.png

Let's get this in and move on , at least it will give us a decent snow event 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Historical weather events. ❤ the seasons! Winters crisp snow!
6 minutes ago, MJB said:

image.thumb.png.2c428efff3fc79cc939ec7ae334ca9c7.png

Let's get this in and move on , at least it will give us a decent snow event 

I'm thinking it may stall over eastern Ireland. Met Eireann is keen on this, atlantic wins eventually then we gradually go into a n easterly feed.

Edited by icykev
Maybe
  • Like 1

Posted

Met office are pushing the milder air in earlier now 7 or 8 degrees at the weekend.  Hopefully its wrong but feels like most sites are trending that way. Nice to have it cold and dry, already noticed how the real saturation of the ground has been sucked up by the cold.

Posted
7 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Lets see what that does , let’s hope the worst on offer is at least the surface flow off the continent which will at least keep it on the cold side . We certainly want none of what the GEM is offering ! 

Do you see a way back to a potential snowy spell eventually with that option?