Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model thread discussion - cold spell looming

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's busy right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.
There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
26 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Really?! That's not the impression I get from the 0z and 6z runs.

Ok then - the cold and snowy spell is not looking great apart from extreme fringes of the country, only Extreme SW and perhaps W Wales and the extreme E after the next day, and even they're not going to see loads, if there was loads i would still be wishing them to get it but can't see it.

• Like 1

Posted

It’s been snowing for 24hrs in Hertfordshire which is a fairly central county ??‍♂️  Re the meto outlook sounds perfect to me..western areas and southern areas get snowy episodes as the Atlantic tries and fails to get back in, Northern and eastern areas get repeat chances of today’s pattern ??‍♂️

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

It’s been snowing for 24hrs in Hertfordshire which is a fairly central county ??‍♂️  Re the meto outlook sounds perfect to me..western areas and southern areas get snowy episodes as the Atlantic tries and fails to get back in, Northern and eastern areas get repeat chances of today’s pattern ??‍♂️

And I am in no mans land with nothing lol 

• Like 2

Posted
22 hours ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Classic GFS moment, create the near perfect set up for severe cold and then...

image.thumb.png.85dd89142bc03c65b80e7a6ea37c7062.png

Throw in a ridiculous Atlantic dartboard low.

NOw.. imagine if that dart board could become a channel low.. I wonder what the outcome would be

• Like 1

Posted

Let's all hold on to our winter hats for the next GFS (should start to come out in 30mins) 

on the snow scene, we had a terrible 18z ,.. an amazing 0z .. and a meh meh 06z 

All of which are considerably better than a few days ago when the models were ready to give us a John Candy atlantic low.. by Thursday
there's absolutely no knowing what will happen after this weekend.

• Like 5

Posted
46 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Ok then - the cold and snowy spell is not looking great apart from extreme fringes of the country, only Extreme SW and perhaps W Wales and the extreme E after the next day, and even they're not going to see loads, if there was loads i would still be wishing them to get it but can't see it.

Most people visiting this thread today are those who have not got snow from this cold spell.  I know if I had snow now, I doubt I would have visited this thread and would either be in the regional or outside enjoying it!  Unfortunately it's back to the drawing board!

Edited by Don
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
3 minutes ago, Don said:

Most people visiting this thread today are those who have not got snow from this cold spell.  I know if I had snow now, I doubt I would have visited this thread today and would either be in the regional thread or outside enjoying it!  Unfortunately it's back to the drawing board!

Really Don?, With the meto update talking about potentially heavy snow for southern and western England. I don't think Mogreps is seeing the need to go back to the drawing board.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Really Don?, With the meto update talking about potentially heavy snow for southern and western England. I don't think Mogreps is seeing the need to go back to the drawing board.

Not writing anything off, but it looks unlikely that I will get anything substantial for the next few days and now looking towards the end of the week, which is subject to change at that range.  I agree though, a good update from the Metoffice this afternoon

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way

Today's Fax 12z detailing some beautiful Convergence lines (streamers) with significant east to west penetration of heavy wintery hazardous stuff

image.thumb.png.cd8b0a14832ee65422d4e52f627d076d.png

Even way out west here on the IoA. North Wales (@15:45)

image.thumb.png.702661237c6f33e743d3d3a34f3eec2a.png

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 7

Posted
Just now, StingJet said:

Fax 12z detailing some beautiful Convergence lines (streamers) with significant east to west penetration

image.thumb.png.cd8b0a14832ee65422d4e52f627d076d.png

Even way out west here on the IoA. North Wales

image.thumb.png.702661237c6f33e743d3d3a34f3eec2a.png

Is that for today?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
20 minutes ago, Don said:

Most people visiting this thread today are those who have not got snow from this cold spell.  I know if I had snow now, I doubt I would have visited this thread and would either be in the regional or outside enjoying it!  Unfortunately it's back to the drawing board!

This can't technically be all true, there's a tiny minority of the country with snowfall deemed worthy of being outdoors in it. 

It seems to be me that the outlook is moderate/poor/very poor and for those places that aren't currently getting snow (a lot more of the country than not) the chances of actually getting any are dwindling as every model suite is completed. 

Seems odds on for us to get into a High pressure dominated scenario, possibly quite long lasting too. Not bad for surface cold, as for snow? Might as well be a Bartlett.

We desperately need a widespread snowy breakdown for the large majority of the UK to remember this spell. 

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Ends a bit "meh" need undercutting to stop euro heights.

iconnh-0-177 (1).png

You can see the beginnings of this on the frame posted above yours. Just to the East of Iceland, the axis is a couple of degrees East of North. The energy from the lows goes over the block as a result. 

Still a long way out though. And just one of many variations on a theme. I don't think we'll have a good handle on undercut potential until Thursday or Friday.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, ancientsolar said:

Is that for today?

Sorry yes , edited my post to reflect your comment

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
56 minutes ago, MJB said:

And I am in no mans land with nothing lol 

And here 0.000000cm approx rubbish!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

T 144 Ukmo difficult to know how it would progress but we can compare gfs etc. Gfs at t132 differences are large. Ukmo seems slower.

60ECB9F0-DB5C-45E9-9C94-48966FC4DD1E.gif

90D09B9A-2E3F-4E55-A475-AE991F29D775.png

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

And here 0.000000cm approx rubbish!

Likewise mate, had sweet nada thus far this winter here save a 3hr 5mm drop couple of Sunday's back..   Patience tested but we continue to hope.  The Extended Outlooks still remain very positive for a continuation of cold, with the odd "milder" incursion, and significant potential for widespread snow events .. hang in there !

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes I totally agree - it's freezing cold but there is no accumulated snow in much of the country. Not a Feb '91 by any stretch. However, with the cold established, you just never know when there's going to be some frontal snow. I was looking at the famous Ian McCaskill forecast on YouTube from Feb 1991, and we had that low pushing up from France which gave us all the fantastic historical event that we all refer back to. The cold is here, the patterns will change, but sooner or later there's got to be a low pressure system in the vicinity to give us (as in most of the UK) some frontal snow surely. 

Onto the 12z's to watch for this happening!

• Like 2