Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model thread discussion - cold spell looming

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's busy right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.
There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Caution must be applied with this new evolution however, the building blocks come between 120hrs and 144hrs and the UKMO looks different to the GEM and ECM at that timeframe. If it’s one model you want on board, its the UKMO, so important runs to follow regarding that model.

Note: As stated in other posts by some on here, the GFS is the worst model when disrupting energy (in the correct way). If it’s by itself compared to the other models then it’s best to discard it. Get worried when the ECM and UKMO move towards it - very unlikely however! 

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Just to show, ECM day 7 yesterday 

image.thumb.gif.9f9a088686b7423827a471b2e49bfc7e.gif

Day 6 today

image.thumb.gif.78614a0ab778dcb50150dd9fc2bc7e65.gif

Pretty big changes with the Atlantic fronts being held further at bay, along with a more defined area of high pressure over Norway. Not only that but we are beginning to see more defined cold air advection around the southern flank of that high.
The question is not only can we improve matters later on with severe cold air going into many parts of Europe, but is it possible in the 5-7 day range that the coldest 850s actually leave the U.K. at all.

I agree. I thibk the block will prove more resistant in subsequent runs 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
6 minutes ago, Panayiotis said:

Caution must be applied with this new evolution however, the building blocks come between 120hrs and 144hrs and the UKMO looks different to the GEM and ECM at that timeframe. If it’s one model you want on board, its the UKMO, so important runs to follow regarding that model.

Note: As stated in other posts by some on here, the GFS is the worst model when disrupting energy (in the correct way). If it’s by itself compared to the other models then it’s best to discard it. Get worried when the ECM and UKMO move towards it - very unlikely however! 

Indeed, there’s a possibility that Ukmo is better. The energy coming from the states is further back west with sw coming off it. Best let @nick sussex discuss shortwave details tho.

55757B9F-FC07-4746-AFD7-9B9658D37AB1.png

BFC428A2-A8EB-4E23-BF82-C0BBF1F2D89C.gif

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I had a scan through ECM temps if that turned out correct I know in SE it would be coldest spell of weather in 30 years.

Not just the south east mate!!that looks a freezing run widely across the uk!!!ukmo has improved compared to yesterday!!gfs as well but not as good as 18z last night!!

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

I'm willing to guess there will be a extremely cold cluster showing at 216-264 on the EPS, especially over De Bilt.

De Bilt probably won’t be that helpful here as I’d imagine they will be cold regardless of what happens in our back yard. 

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, sheikhy said:

Not just the south east mate!!that looks a freezing run widely across the uk!!!ukmo has improved compared to yesterday!!gfs as well but not as good as 18z last night!!

The GFS op was nearer the top of the pack and the ensembles are showing the first signs of what the ECM and gem look like

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

One thing is for certain, it could get dangerously cold if we see a proper undercut from the E. This February has potential for a CET to be up there with some classics. 

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Yep in December 2010 it wasn’t crazy cold down here I know elsewhere in country it was so I wasn’t particularly sure 6 consecutive ice days in parts of SE on ECM 12z from this Sunday to next Saturday. That clearly would be historic.

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

The GFS op was nearer the top of the pack and the ensembles are showing the first signs of what the ECM and gem look like

06z and 12z gona look frigid then!!ice days on ecm all the way into the following week!!

• Like 3

Posted

ECM gets a 9/10 for cold but only a 4/10 for snow from me. It’s cold throughout but fior 90% of the population it’s very dry with just a dusting. Away from the south east and Scotland I would have thought snow fans would want some kinds of snowy breakdown? It’s high risk but high reward. At this stage in the season I’d gamble!  ECM is far better than cold rain and mud though in FI. If we can’t have snow I’d settle for cold, frosty and sunny  

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

The more runs showing that Scandi high, the more its a sensible evolution. Just a gentle reminder, that cold December 2010 had a milder spell mid month before the brutal set in. Could this be going the same way?

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

ECM gets a 9/10 for cold but only a 4/10 for snow from me. It’s cold throughout but fior 90% of the population it’s very dry with just a dusting. Away from the south east and Scotland I would have thought snow fans would want some kinds of snowy breakdown? It’s high risk but high reward. At this stage in the season I’d gamble!  ECM is far better than cold rain and mud though in FI. If we can’t have snow I’d settle for cold, frosty and sunny  

I'm saving this chart for 144 on Friday and will post the actual snow depths people attain to see how close it was 

There seems to be a fierce debate in here whether or not the models are  seeing the convection. I am in the camp that they are underplaying streamers, especially with -12 to -14 air moving over water, but we will see what happens

snowdepth_20210206_00_144.jpg

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
1 hour ago, Malarky said:

If this comes off. Wow. The potential!

Probably been posted a few times already, but here’s the 00z GEM & ECM at day 10 

C3B7E956-5872-4AB0-AD33-E289DD52E6FB.thumb.png.371cba263f6a7f30a216f64c12ba7498.png
2617906B-04F3-4CC9-992B-F33E851E12B5.thumb.png.1b5301924c683b4f1c1e53c33b57cf30.png

CF40706E-F951-4299-A980-A238872F01A4.thumb.gif.530bff12f8facec68e02747944136bc7.gif

6BCFC266-D3E1-42E3-831A-1DD717CAFDAD.thumb.gif.6045e617244401f070b4a063aecde456.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

I'm saving this chart for 144 on Friday and will post the actual snow depths people attain to see how close it was 

There seems to be a fierce debate in here whether or not the models are not seeing the convection. I am in the camp that they are underplaying streamers, especially with -12 to -14 air moving over water, but we will see what happens

snowdepth_20210206_00_144.jpg

Tuesday/Wednesday for the sw may hold interest also going by that.❄️

• Like 7