Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model thread discussion - cold spell looming

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's busy right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.
There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GFS 18z T150 v 12z T156:

F4191401-5D1C-47CE-92C6-BA9FDE387D09.thumb.png.ae39d6889eeace2bccc8c3b962116737.pngFF70BC4C-70A0-4AFD-9618-121509CCE41B.thumb.png.1f2a97f46821ca3c76490d53dfe502d8.png

it is baby steps here, and it might go nowhere, but just a suggestion of the block holding firmer, crack of light blues south Greenland?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Nice to see the GFS staying dominant into Friday and the atlantic low barely has an influence temperature wise,, mean while the pressure system over Scandinavia .. tries to make a westwards inching. 
image.thumb.png.116e85ac31f7c9602f0450264501e850.png

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

The low has given up at T156 hrs , it will now become slow moving , also note the shortwave ejected se at that time .

Yep.. I was flicking through the slides from around 138 to 156 and the low was stopped and at one stage heading north west.. I actually had to check myself to ensure I was not flicking the time slots in reverse... 

image.thumb.png.cadc4d05dffd499ecde97b95a844f493.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, Frosty Winter said:

The pub run has an impressive snow event next Friday!❄️
06C0FDAE-13A6-45A0-8188-78D83E8D25A9.thumb.png.ac41ff724d90ff6713dd9332d4294b01.pngC7DECA89-8431-4327-8E2B-A024604B6541.thumb.png.b9f67d8ae185f302ff964bd683f07e31.png

Watch the trend next few GFS runs, front will be no where near that fr East! expect it to make it to Ireland

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

Yes a snow to rain event... 

not seeing much rain for most areas ? Snow fizzles out ??‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, TEITS said:

Whilst some are looking W at the low pressure for a possible snowy breakdown. Im looking in the other direction.

Could it be that no fronts will get anywhere near at the end of the week (except SW) and the Scandi HP will extend further W than currently modelled? Also could it be the following week sees even colder upper temps -15C.

Can't see it although if it keeps getting pushed back West with every run to this extent then a chance, but could do with any ridge gaining latitude though, would love you to be right.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The low has given up at T156 hrs , it will now become slow moving , also note the shortwave ejected se at that time .

???

FFA042D6-6E99-4099-92DF-0E355E67D1DD.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Snow fizzling out, most people burried and still under cold air...GET IN ??

F7E7D8BC-96D0-487A-AFD1-EA109E8C28DD.png

AA035266-E761-48AC-A378-E5041E0E7D8A.png

778CF70D-86D7-4D40-8140-3BFE9C540E0D.png

Just like this

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1982/Rrea00119820108.gif

Posted

It’s still going to be difficult to maintain the cold as the low is reluctant to disrupt a second time . It’s going to start pivoting in response to the upstream pattern so it might be a case of waiting to see if it can go much more vertical.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Jason M said:

One of the slightly sad things about tech improving is that the complete surprise weather event is getting less and less. I remember in 81 snow moving in from the west and being forecast to turn to rain. I'll always remember the forecaster saying that the mild air was about to reach the east coast and looking out the window to see it hammering down with snow still. The front never did clear Essex and Kent and moved all the way back west the following day!! Because the charts are so good now room for this type of event is almost zero these days.

This is true. But the margin for error still seems to be 3/4 days. Small changes in that time frame can lead to a whole new pattern down stream. The default flow is west to east and the models always seem (from what I can see) to revert to that mind set. Even the meto revert to that after the immediate time frame. Always sit in the fence. I know I’m off topic do I’ll leave it there. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

Posted
1 minute ago, That ECM said:

???

FFA042D6-6E99-4099-92DF-0E355E67D1DD.jpeg

Looks like the Atlantic has stalled between T144 and T168, the 0C uppers line gets no further through Cornwall and is thinking of pushing back? (this is what I thought was going to happen on the ECM earlier)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

If the snow turns to rain on Friday.. it will just end up falling on surfaces and turning to ice.. the ground will be absolutely freezing. 

Do we have some uppers to go with these GFS charts?

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

It’s still going to be difficult to maintain the cold as the low is reluctant to disrupt a second time . It’s going to start pivoting in response to the upstream pattern so it might be a case of waiting to see if it can go much more vertical.

True, but we then have -24C 850s lurking on the continent.

• Like 1