Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model thread discussion - cold spell looming

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's busy right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.
There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
5 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

Anyone else drumming their fingers.  Now up to T+6 for me lol.  Must be a great pub run coming up with a renewed Scandi high! We wish. 

Takes a lot more time to compute the monstrous snow amounts it’s about to churn out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, BARRY said:

trying not to get to excited Tim 

Nightmare this one. Everything tells you it will correct south but you can't stop yourself imagining the whole lot coming ashore!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
Just now, nick sussex said:

Already a slowing upstream here . PV held a bit further back and heights better in the nw Atlantic.

B0CE9BAE-CE8F-4C41-982C-611A3A4C1CD5.png

D399DF71-6872-4EED-ABD0-33AFEBA5B281.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, BARRY said:

trying not to get to excited Tim 

Am quietly keeping an eye on it myself Barry, know what our luck is like on the south coast of Devon. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

How long were we looking at that flipping low over us east, west, north and south

FB2F2FF0-4E2B-407D-A366-80A6F63A6C58.png

• Like 5

Posted
23 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Thats a big change towards ecm mate!!!

Is that a good thing? Ps anyone know what the EPS look like tonight

83421943-CEF6-411B-8A0A-07E06FDC2029.gif

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

2 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

83421943-CEF6-411B-8A0A-07E06FDC2029.gif

The cold lovers in Greece, Turkey and Romania will want that chart to come off!

Posted
1 minute ago, High Altitude said:

I don’t post often, but a long time lurker, going back to BBC snow watch days. Only thing I’ll add is that over the years, Dec 2010 as an example, once the cold is entrenched the break down is always delayed. Back in 2010 I remember the models breaking it down after 4/5 days, then it’s extended etc etc. In the end it lasted a month. Granted it wasn’t a snow fest every day, but the cold held out. As long as this spell evolves as shown then I’d be surprised to see any break down making it much further than skirting the south before cold reasserts itself. The models are always to quick to break cold spells down. 

One of the slightly sad things about tech improving is that the complete surprise weather event is getting less and less. I remember in 81 snow moving in from the west and being forecast to turn to rain. I'll always remember the forecaster saying that the mild air was about to reach the east coast and looking out the window to see it hammering down with snow still. The front never did clear Essex and Kent and moved all the way back west the following day!! Because the charts are so good now room for this type of event is almost zero these days.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes
18 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

Something for the south west?  Are there any here or did they all give up ? Where is @BARRY?

544740AD-6157-4718-BE87-8C59C6896B8A.png

All but given up! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
5 minutes ago, Jason M said:

One of the slightly sad things about tech improving is that the complete surprise weather event is getting less and less. I remember in 81 snow moving in from the west and being forecast to turn to rain. I'll always remember the forecaster saying that the mild air was about to reach the east coast and looking out the window to see it hammering down with snow still. The front never did clear Essex and Kent and moved all the way back west the following day!! Because the charts are so good now room for this type of event is almost zero these days.

I've had a surprise snowfall when sleet/rain was forecast and surprise rainfall when snow was forecast already this winter...

Posted
1 minute ago, Tim Bland said:

Thurs eve 12z Vs 18z

202BB782-B3D9-4673-9566-295379745CBF.png

E3FC16A8-7E31-4A8B-BD2B-2DE72F485E9D.png

min max temperatures, Thursday night is just like any other night with min max temperatures, absolutely below freezing right into somerset and Devon ,,, the low pressure seemingly being delayed by 24 hours .. and may'be not making it at all.

• Like 2