Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model thread discussion - cold spell looming

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's busy right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.
There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
33 minutes ago, Paul said:

UKV 15z has shifted the Sunday prec a bit north, with some sizeable totals showing and signs of long reaching streamers..

showers-sun.png sunsnowtotal.png

For the following days, lots of showers packing into the east and quite widespread snow cover. Here's Monday as an example, but Tues and Weds follow suit with snow totals building. And hints of some snow moving up into southern areas on Tuesday as well. 

mon-snow.png mon-totals.png

Thanks Pail for sharing these , totally appreciate you don’t have too but as the excitement builds it’s very very generous of you to do so - so thank you ????

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
1 hour ago, Tim Bland said:

ECM snow depth for Sunday eve..

8D45562A-5F19-41D1-BEEC-083DCDE37E0F.jpeg

0.004 inch. Cant wait!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

Interesting model output again tonight, I’m interested in what happens at T144, here GEM and ECM:

AC4AA4E4-5AF2-41D3-974F-1B0D33014E77.thumb.png.83610d91a0c0422d54b5c56ca1c3e18b.png19FCE036-1856-476C-A0ED-6BDB75E5BC4B.thumb.gif.b4890d028a250a029556698cd7778e16.gif

As modelled, no way that weak block will stop the Atlantic low or send it under.  But I wonder how much uncertainty there is about that low at this time?  I wonder if it might look weaker when it is at T96 in 2 days time?  

And after the mild interlude if it is an interlude, what next?  

I think I would like to have the cold air in place, tomorrow or Sunday, before trying to predict nature of the breakdown, and what happens afterwards.  

Spot on. The cold pool may well take some shifting and not be incorporated properly into the output.  

Expect big changes by Monday (hopefully)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Blizzards, Storms, Hot, Foggy - Infact everything

ECM is closer to how this will pan out come the end of the week. And not because it's a better outcome but because historically it has always been better at reading a breakdown   "if it happens" ?

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Yarmy said:

The high-res ICON-EU 15z (yes, there is such a thing) is advertising an organised band of snow to head SW from Lincs/EA through the Midlands on Sat Night/Sun Mon (this is not from the main band of frontal snow on the low).

iconeu_uk1-1-30-0.png?05-19

So a surprise for some on Sunday morning?

A few models have been showing this, but because it starts as rain accumulations are only modest.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
1 hour ago, Man Without Beard said:

Worth a note - the extremely rare "channel streamer" sets up on the ECM on Tuesday - bringing snow to the most snow barren parts of the UK, South Devon and Cornwall, and possibly the IOW. Even the Isles of Scilly are in the sleet zone!

Where are the charts for this pls? Cheers ❄️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
15 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

459924281_fax72s(5).thumb.gif.a56f6ed2cf21b042342e3ec512a9145c.gif

Is that another occluded front heading towards EA and South East on Monday as well? Crazy stuff!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
48 minutes ago, That ECM said:

You’ve read the chart wrong. You will get ten times that.

You've also read it wrong, it'll be 100 times that!

If amount is accurate.

Edited by Blake Allen
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

As expected, the ECM is calling for an extension already of the cold. Would not rule out more snow events to the SW before next weekend is out, given the volatility, and how much tomorrow and Sunday’s Synoptics are drastically correcting. 

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, Cold Winter Night said:

Well, I keep my feet on the ground. I prefer the cold winter nights of my screen name, but I won't proclaim cold if that is an impossibility.

That 'energy', the lows into the Atlantic will not push through if the high is strong enough.
Day to day comparisons show Northern heights increasing for the same timeframe, i.e. models underestimated them earlier. So that milder interlude might not be as pronounced.

The best example of a cold spell that developed like this, December 1962. January '47 isn't far off either.

Regardless of whether the high is strong or not, the odds are strongly in favour of that Atlantic low getting close enough to the UK to introduce tropical maritime air. The ECM is now showing the same solution as the GFS, albeit slightly more delayed.

Another poster mentioned cold temperatures hanging on even in a warmer air mass if the surface flow is light- I can't see that happening in a setup like this one- looks a fairly strong SW flow to me, particularly in western areas.

ECMOPUK12_192_2.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
7 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

ECM mean,

the op an outlier at the end, but a pronounced rise in 850mb temps 

london_ecmsd850 (14).png

Yes as we were saying earlier plenty of uncertainty of where this will go around day 6 on. A developing block stalling the Atlantic lows means the cold looks to be holding for a day or so longer and may well remain quite cold at the surface especially away from the south west.Ht anomalies day 8

EDH101-192.thumb.gif.ea1e2e9905bfb639f637afc785a0ef31.gif

Could get interesting again a little further on if the block gains more traction further north.There is still that cold block further east.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Scorcher said:

Regardless of whether the high is strong or not, the odds are strongly in favour of that Atlantic low getting close enough to the UK to introduce tropical maritime air. The ECM is now showing the same solution as the GFS, albeit slightly more delayed.

Another poster mentioned cold temperatures hanging on even in a warmer air mass if the surface flow is light- I can't see that happening in a setup like this one- looks a fairly strong SW flow to me, particularly in western areas.

ECMOPUK12_192_2.png

You would think so.  But there is also a slide from same ECM that has another Ice day for the vast bulk of England.  Pretty much as per green above

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

As expected, the ECM is calling for an extension already of the cold. Would not rule out more snow events to the SW before next weekend is out, given the volatility, and how much tomorrow and Sunday’s Synoptics are drastically correcting. 

I really hope so! Us south west people are so snow hungry 

• Like 9

Posted
3 minutes ago, Paul said:

The GFS 18z may be a bit delayed tonight, ncep having data dissemination problems again.

You should get a job on British Rail!

Speaking of delays, it will be interesting to see whether the ECM 0z run continues the trend to extend the cold spell. Slightly stronger heights coupled with a shallower low could make a big difference.

• Like 4