Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model thread discussion - cold spell looming

Paul
Message added by Paul,

It's busy right now, so please ensure you only post about the model output in this thread. 
For local snow discussion and will it snow posts, please use the regional threads
And for more general chat please use the chat, moans and ramps thread.
There's now also a cold spell chat and discusison thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

ECM 12 op,  a week on Monday (15th Feb) 00.00hrs

image.thumb.png.3f883b364f1fa386db390004b1187e5a.png

Wow freezing still . They’ll be 7 to 8 days straight of ice days

Edited by ICE COLD
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
3 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

It’s in Fahrenheit but still very cold at the surface next weekend especially where any snow lingers 

BDEDC650-608A-4193-BB48-CEFDAC4C496E.jpeg

Ice days still.

Wow.

• Like 3

Posted

Well,if nothing else the ECM should boost the business of Tunisian ear-muff sellers.

Still lots to resolve in the medium-longer term.

ECM0-240.thumb.GIF.b0f6ecc37a5d8a48b752ae2904c15a66.GIF

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters
2 minutes ago, Snowman. said:

Ice days still.

Wow.

Bare in mind that is for 6pm as it says 12 CST at the bottom. 

Edited by Summerstorm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 minutes ago, Summerstorm said:

Bare in mind that is for 6pm as it says 12 CST at the bottom. 

Yep, by the Monday on the ecm it’s 10-11c in the west at 6am with all that milder air. Takes longest to reach the east of course. All conjecture at this stage!

• Like 2

Posted

Please correct me if this doesn't make sense,but with the snow forecast in the East and southeast.with the ongoing easterly wind wouldn't you expect that snow band to pivot around and push more further inland rather then retreat back to the coast,at present it's looking like Norfolk Suffolk and Kent will get quite a lot perhaps as much as 20cm.I am staying in Bicester Oxfordshire would somebody please like to tell me am I likely to get snow here or perhaps I'm too far west?

Edited by Lukesluckybunch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
10 minutes ago, Man Without Beard said:

Worth a note - the extremely rare "channel streamer" sets up on the ECM on Tuesday - bringing snow to the most snow barren parts of the UK, South Devon and Cornwall, and possibly the IOW. Even the Isles of Scilly are in the sleet zone!

any chance of coastal south Dorset catching a bit of that action , MWB?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow !!!!
9 minutes ago, Man Without Beard said:

Worth a note - the extremely rare "channel streamer" sets up on the ECM on Tuesday - bringing snow to the most snow barren parts of the UK, South Devon and Cornwall, and possibly the IOW. Even the Isles of Scilly are in the sleet zone!

Oh my word, I’ll pray to any deity to make his happen........

• Like 3

Posted

Fantastic ecm 12z up to 168 hours!!this is how i expected the 144 hour chart to look on ukmo but i dunno what happened lol!!!also winds are east north east from 48 hours to 144 hours so more areas getting in the act for snow showers!!!ukmo a bit to south east right now!!

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

It’s in Fahrenheit but still very cold at the surface next weekend especially where any snow lingers 

BDEDC650-608A-4193-BB48-CEFDAC4C496E.jpeg

blommin heck thats another ice day week tomorrow for the vast bulk of England - interesting that Scotland is warmer - indication of cold surface flow from continent I guess for England ?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Please correct me if this doesn't make sense,but with the snow forecast in the East and southeast.with the ongoing easterly wind wouldn't you expect that snow band to pivot around and push more further inland rather then retreat back to the coast,at present it's looking like Norfolk Suffolk and Kent will get quite a lot perhaps as much as 20cm.I am staying in Bicester Oxfordshire would somebody please like to tell me am I likely to get snow here or perhaps I'm too far west?

It’s just a small scale feature that’s going to run across that SE corner before sliding away. The surface easterly winds won’t blow the front further inland unfortunately! You’d be really pushing it for snow in Bicester....may see a little bit of lucky, but not a great deal. Too far west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
57 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

we should not assume this is a one way street - what has swung east could well yet swing west a bit 

Yes and snow depth charts out to Tuesday aren’t likely to include convection. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It’s just a small scale feature that’s going to run across that SE corner before sliding away. The surface easterly winds won’t blow the front further inland unfortunately! You’d be really pushing it for snow in Bicester....may see a little bit of lucky, but not a great deal. Too far west.

Yes agree with you..but still likely to see some snow showers right?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Yes agree with you..but still likely to see some snow showers right?

Certainly possible - all luck though, much like thunderstorms in summer! Some places might see a string of snow showers, others may miss out. Keep an eye on the radar on the day is the best tool to use.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, danm said:

Yes and snow depth charts out to Tuesday aren’t likely to include convection. 

I don't buy into this at all, i must admit i can only speak for the 2 locations i have been in the last 10 years but they literally nailed the convective lying snow totals to a tee in 2018 Easterly, also the 2010 and 2013 Easterlies, i find if anything its battlegrounds the models don't get right, particularly the Euro4, it so often had the snowline somewhere like Wigan inferring Manchester was going to see lying snow, and in reality Saddleworth didn't get any falling snow at 600ft and 1000ft on the hills it was just a brief whitening you could see quickly disappearing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Interesting model output again tonight, I’m interested in what happens at T144, here GEM and ECM:

AC4AA4E4-5AF2-41D3-974F-1B0D33014E77.thumb.png.83610d91a0c0422d54b5c56ca1c3e18b.png19FCE036-1856-476C-A0ED-6BDB75E5BC4B.thumb.gif.b4890d028a250a029556698cd7778e16.gif

As modelled, no way that weak block will stop the Atlantic low or send it under.  But I wonder how much uncertainty there is about that low at this time?  I wonder if it might look weaker when it is at T96 in 2 days time?  

And after the mild interlude if it is an interlude, what next?  

I think I would like to have the cold air in place, tomorrow or Sunday, before trying to predict nature of the breakdown, and what happens afterwards.  

• Like 1