Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

February cold spell discussion and chat

Paul

Posted

Yorkshire in particular looks good also with streamers setting up! this could give us decent accumulations and as we go into next week showers continue lots to play for hope everyone gets to  see some snow

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

The Met office doesn't cover Brighton Sunday (it does East Sussex but Brighton is normally depicted on its own).  I'm a bit shocked at that - the charts are showing me different even for the Coast.  Hoping for upgrades as i'm building a sledge!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and Sunny. I hate being cold.
14 minutes ago, Norrance said:

To give a taster of what may be coming. Here are a couple of pics from the Southern Central Highlands. The one in the dark from early this morning and the other from yesterday afternoon.

369982C1-D615-4029-A8F2-651DAC3A9579.jpeg

F308CC17-6A77-40F7-919F-B95C90E570E9.jpeg

Just imagine trying to distribute and administer Covid vaccine in that

• Like 2

Posted
53 minutes ago, AmatuerMet1963 said:

Absolutely nothing for us In Merseyside or North West Areas, again we have been left out in the warm. Only thing is a cold weather alert, but by itself means zero to snow lovers!!

You never will in an easterly, unless/until it's obvious a trough is going to come across. And that could be just 12 hours notice. Not surprising to see warnings for the east in an easterly. Pretty default.

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Snowfall here looks to be on and off next week with the best chance of snowfall on Thursday.  Very cold with sub 0 temperatures for 4 days

Yes that seems to be a possible day so far looking at several forecasts and models For N West- Thursday then, lets hope that turns out and turn miserable dark North west towns into a winter wonderland if even only for a few days. But Im always reminded of an old scientific fact.  The more lying snow there is on the ground, the more likely it may get even colder. Subtle changes like that can make a big difference to outcomes only a few days ahead that was already forecast. To be honest its Nature , it dosnt know computers or models, it will do its own thing despite morally challenging ladies smiling on BBC hedging heavily, as  "Not Sure Yet" , could be,  Maybe, To far away to call yet, not sure, firm up details later. I dont remember  Bill Giles. Michael Fish, Rob McElwee, Ian McCaskill using those get out phrases. I think Michael Fish was unfairly targeted, given the technology at the time. In fact he was right in a way. You dont get hurricanes in Northern Europe. He was unfortunate that the storm that did hit Sussex wound up even more  in a very short time.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Alexis said:

You never will in an easterly, unless/until it's obvious a trough is going to come across. And that could be just 12 hours notice. Not surprising to see warnings for the east in an easterly. Pretty default.

Porbably quite right, But after living in Kent and Sussex for 45 years since 1959  , I am still used to getting blizzards and heaps of drifts, we had to dig our way out of our houses. To be honest I do miss the fresher and drier climate there than N West, I never had arthritis until I moved to Blackpool. Its not known that much in Sussex, I am only one out of my family of 27 that got arthritis bad in most of my joints and still waiting for my hip Op to replace the one that's in very bad shape, on the other hand The South East resorts have become Mediterranean in summers the last 8 years. I hate heat, and thunderstorms that cross the channel on Coastal areas. used to fish on the beach at night, and used to count the flashes of lightning over in France, 100 flashes for most of the evening was normal., then they decided to cross , "Time to go"! One vicious one was in the eighties, it was end of the world stuff, a stunning Water spout just off hasting's that went to heaven or hell, it was huge, with lightning all round it, monsoon rain and then a thunder bolt. that took out chimney stack 900 yards away, fried our sockets fried the TV and our poor dogs were never the same again!! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Being on the Essex/Suffolk border looks pretty decent right now...!  We have missed out so far so I think it's only fair!  

Edited by Dj fart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C
1 hour ago, Alpine glow said:

The Met office doesn't cover Brighton Sunday (it does East Sussex but Brighton is normally depicted on its own).  I'm a bit shocked at that - the charts are showing me different even for the Coast.  Hoping for upgrades as i'm building a sledge!!

The Metoffice/BBC warnings are almost always stupid for our location, they seem to think the Sussex Coast is Valencia or Málaga or something! During East/NE flows we are just as cold as inland, likewise as in summer when Heathrow was the same temperature as Shoreham/Thorney Island at 35c during the early August heatwave. Our main hinderance will be if we don't enough precipiation because Sunday-Thursday A:M definately looks cold enough for snow.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, 95 Degrees said:

The Metoffice/BBC warnings are almost always stupid for our location, they seem to think the Sussex Coast is Valencia or Málaga or something! During East/NE flows we are just as cold as inland, likewise as in summer when Heathrow was the same temperature as Shoreham/Thorney Island at 35c during the early August heatwave. Our main hinderance will be if we don't enough precipiation because Sunday-Thursday A:M definately looks cold enough for snow.

Correct. I lived 45 years in Eastbourne, Brighton was my favourite ride on my Vespa SS180 to go to a scooter club meeting.   But being near the coast in the South east in winter Is nothing like being near The irish sea, which brings in almost 100% warmer air along with rain.  Eastbourne along with Brighton and kent had 12 feet of drifts in the sixties.   You wont see the sea freeze around Blackpool piers, but on a wicked South Easterly 30 mph Siberian wind in 1963, that froze a lot of sea near Eastbourne pier. I find the main forcasters really havent a clue and just making it up as they go along, each hour they change the forecasts, unlike in our old BBC forecasters, what they said you usually got, and only two bulletins a day, A very rare news flash, would Hold our attention.  "here is a flash warning of severe snow and ice for Sussex".   You dont get flash warnings in TV now, they too busy making money from adverts now, and sky news, I dont know why weather presenters bother to come in, they get 45 seconds to give a forecast which should be at least 5 - 10 minutes, which I why I like to tune in to CNN weather, you get a huge update great maps and sometimes over 10 minutes of discussion, if only that happened here??

• Like 5

Posted

May record our first ice day since 17 March 2018. Overcast cloudy conditions and a strong east wind, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday could produce a 4 day run here...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.
1 hour ago, AmatuerMet1963 said:

Absolutely nothing for us In Merseyside or North West Areas, again we have been left out in the warm. Only thing is a cold weather alert, but by itself means zero to snow lovers!!

Nothing for here either the yellow warning that met issued yesterday they cancelled it today as I expected to be honest I think this cold spell has been overhyped especially here on in that weather Yes don’t get me wrong it looks good for South East UK East UK and Scotland every where else I don’t think much will come of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
blank.jpg
BLOG.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

How times change. This time last year, we were in the early days of a month which went on to become the wettest February for the UK in a series stretching back to 1862. Storms Ciara, Dennis and Jor…

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny Summers and cold snowy Winters

Being based in West Cumbria once again I look in envy at forecasts of heavy snow in the East, especially as I remember epic winters from my childhood in Gateshead.  However many in West Cumbria will remember exactly 25 years ago on 5th/6th February 1996, for what has become known locally as The Big Snow, when about 20 hours of constant heavy fall resulted in over a foot of laying snow (even down to the edge of the lapping waves on Seascale beach) and drifts of 3 and 4 feet burying hundreds of abandoned cars across the space of a few miles.  The photo shows a point in Whitehaven town centre at less than 10m elevation and less than 500m from the Irish Sea.  I do wonder whether the forthcoming cold from the East and possible blocking of incoming fronts from the West may give us a re-run?  Are there forecast models archived from back then and any similarities with the current setup?

The Big Snow.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Looking good as things stand. Minima will be something to watch later in the week too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

From the Met Office:

With the current wintry conditions being experienced across parts of the UK we would like to encourage users to report any snowfall depths. This can be done via a Detailed Observation in the State of Ground section. Please note that you can submit an observation via Enter Observation without being logged in.

WOW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

The UK Met Office Weather Observation Website (WOW). WOW allows anyone to submit their own weather data, anywhere in the world.

Posted

The amount of overhyping that happens in this forum should be banned. This cold spell is no beast. It’s your average cold spell with a snow event in one part of the country. Not country wide or wide spread. Everything is watered down and I’m sure by Friday it’s turning mild for the foreseeable 

• Like 3