Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

February cold spell discussion and chat

Paul

Posted

For cold, I would say 6/10.

Snow - 2/10 with mainly snow grains on Monday and Tuesday and then a cm or two late Tuesday.

It can't even delivery an interesting breakdown, instead going out on a whimper!

Overall, I would give the cold spell a disappointing 4/10.

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted

Not really anything spectacular tbh but it was very cold in that wind. I’d rate it a 6/10 for cold and 1/10 for snow. One word to sum it all up, underwhelming. The cold spell from Christmas to 10th Jan was much better with 2 ice days and 4 snow days! 

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Not really anything spectacular tbh but it was very cold in that wind. I’d rate it a 6/10 for cold and 1/10 for snow. One word to sum it all up, underwhelming. The cold spell from Christmas to 10th Jan was much better with 2 ice days and 4 snow days! 

Agreed. In Leeds it was disappointing all week it's just been bitter, boring really. 

Posted
22 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

Ironically, east Cumbria had 8cms of snow on 7th January 2009 from a cold front moving south so I am aware it didn’t affect the Lake District.

In East Cumbria the last 4 weeks has been the most frustrating winter period since 2013.

Andy

Not even a snowy breakdown to enjoy. The Met overplayed it . At least the mild spell now looks dry which should be good for everywhere.  We dont need more rain

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, stodge said:

Afternoon all

I suspect I'm going to be in a minority but I think this week's cold spell has been quite impressive.

I can understand the frustration if snow is all that matters to you - I live in lowland East London and we got probably 3 cm of lying snow so nothing remarkable. We've had a lot more snow in the not-too-distant past - 15cm in February 2009 and January 2013. Many people quote December 2010 and we got 10cm out of that. This week has been the largest amount of snow since March 2018 but in itself nothing remarkable.

What has been much more remarkable has been the longevity and severity of the cold. We've had seven days of freezing or near-freezing temperatures. I'm not sure how many of these have been ice days but I would guess five at a minimum. That's highly impressive for London - ice days are uncommon. I think we had one in the BFTE three years ago, certainly March 2013 (and that was incredible as that was a month later in mid March) and December 19th 2010.

The problem is large quantities of snow usually come from marginal events and it doesn't make much for that snow to melt once the margins go the other way. In December 2010, we lost 50% of the snow cover by the Monday. Those living in more rural areas or with altitude see the snow surviving longer.

This week we had two main snowfalls - Sunday/Monday and Wednesday/Thursday. Neither was large in accumulation but the snow cover was largely maintained - obviously we lose cover to evaporation or sublimation but it's not melted.

It's not melted because we've had this week of below freezing temperatures which is the longest sustained spell of cold I've experienced since moving to this part of the world in 2005.  I was living in Cornwall in late 1995 and I have a vague recollection of it being extremely cold but no snow. I also see from the records horse racing was stopped for the whole of the week from Boxing Day apart from Limerick suggesting it was a shade milder in my part of the world.

This has however been impressive - for an urban area to have not only seven days at or below freezing but also the severe nigh time minima which has meant standing water has frozen solid in situ. Temperatures to -5 or -6 aren't unusual in rural locations but they are in urban areas and the severity of the frost has been accentuated by the wind chill.

Overall, for snow amounts 3/10 - for longevity of snow 6/10 and for cold 9/10.

Underwhelming really with an easterly. In Leeds the showers lacked intensity it's been bitterly cold but otherwise boring. We had more snow the week before about 10cm .

• Like 1

Posted

I really don't rate the extremity of the cold as being anything special around these parts.

The strong wind has prevented temperatures dropping that much by night. Nights have been cold without being anything remarkable.

Every day has edged above freezing as well.

The most impressive thing for me has been the wind chill. Hard to recall such a combination of cold, dry air with a consistently strong wind before. Certainly not something I want to experience again any time soon.

Good riddance to this intriguing but very unpleasant spell of weather.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

TBH, as much as this cold spell has been disappointing, I would much rather it continue than have a stupidly early spring next week!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

TBH this cold spell was pants, even those areas that had snowfall had daytime thawing.

Here all this cold spell gave me was 1cms of snow and a huge gas bill!

Rubbish

Andy

• Like 1

Posted

Still very cold today with a howling Sly gale just 1.4c.Thawing has barely started.

Cold spell started last Sunday.

For February this is the longest most potent cold spell below a certain daytime max since 1991.

1994 cold snap didn t last long.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Cold spell actually started last Saturday but who s counting.

So February 1994 gave a 6 day cold spell.

And this gave a 7 day very cold spell 8 including saturday but 2.4c max then,most potent longest since February 1991.

I f there was widespread  thicker snow-covered it would ve even colder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

It's been a change from the usual mild, wet & windy weather that seems to dominate this time of year. However, while it's been cold, we've had next to no snow; the odd dandruff flurry, giving lightest of dustings. And if we're not going to get any snow, then you can expect frost giving that 'cold & winter' feel. And we haven't really had that, with the easterly wind.

Saying all that, I've cycled more this February than the whole of last February & March - so, it's been cold, but useable weather. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep snow/warm sunshine

Here on the east coast it’s been a really good cold spell. 25/30cm snow which lasted until the rain came in last night. 7 days of sledging with the kids. Snow depth was maintained pretty well over that time. Hope for another next winter. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
20 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Cold spell actually started last Saturday but who s counting.

So February 1994 gave a 6 day cold spell.

And this gave a 7 day very cold spell 8 including saturday but 2.4c max then,most potent longest since February 1991.

I f there was widespread  thicker snow-covered it would ve even colder.

This was nothing on Feb '94 here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

It’s worrying really that with all background signals aligned and two big record breaking SSWs we could only muster a week long cold spell of modest intensity.

TBH this cold spell in the 1980,s wouldn’t even have got a mention in the media.

Our major cities saw very little snow and very few people recorded an ice day. In February that really is pants

Andy

• Like 3

Posted
51 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

It’s worrying really that with all background signals aligned and two big record breaking SSWs we could only muster a week long cold spell of modest intensity.

TBH this cold spell in the 1980,s wouldn’t even have got a mention in the media.

Our major cities saw very little snow and very few people recorded an ice day. In February that really is pants

Andy

Nothing special at all this cold spell,when you compare it to previous cold spells,and as soon as mild takes over it will probably last weeks and be exceptional mild.

Its certainly true cold spells are nothing like they used to be.

Posted

True enough perhaps they are not to some folks on Net Wx who seem to expect that the impressive winters of old are going to occur with reasonable frequency. Of course they are not.

Even so my weather station recorded 6 days with a mean of -0.3 C; that extends to 8 days with a mean of 0.2 C

Quite impressive I think.

On top of that it snowed, mainly very slightly, on 6 consecutive days giving just a mere 1cm in depth, but thanks to the above temperatures lay on the floor, even in the sun for 3 days and in shade for 6

Being realistic, and following on from cold and some snow late December and January, I really feel winter has been calling this year.

image.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Afternoon all,

Well as with others here I’d also like to give my review of this February 2021 cold spell, just for fun! I’ll give an MO style description and my rating below using weighted parameters. It is worth bearing in mind I’m 26 years old so grew up during a very poor run of winters meaning my standards are quite low! (but 2010 has risen those somewhat) 

Description of the cold spell:

I’m definitely in a minority here being very satisfied with the cold spell, in fact, I’d say it was better than BFTE 2018! (on par with February 2012).

Living in Maidstone in north Kent, we here have hugely benefited from NE’ly streamers and proximity to dry continental air.

This spell, which lasted 8 days, got off to a slow start with a disappointing outcome from the low pressure system over the Low Countries; the transition to snow took longer than forecast where it took its’ time in settling on Sunday. This did however mean by Monday morning, conditions for sledging were excellent once snow settled on tarmac with ice underneath dry snow. (the kids were very happy!)

Snow fell non stop over Monday and Tuesday as the front decayed but was very light. Snow cover remained due to no sun and temps below freezing.

Wednesday was slightly underwhelming by day where the wind died down, temps rose above freezing for a few hours and the sun damaged snow cover. Snow showers did not replenish this during the afternoon. By nightfall however, surprise streamers set up over the Thames Estuary where Maidstone received around 6 cm in less than an hour after some very heavy snow.

Thursday morning was the peak of the spell, with 12cm of lying snow, biting wind and sunny intervals.

Thursday, Friday and Saturday followed a similar pattern with a strong SE breeze, sunny intervals and temps below freezing. The coldest part of the spell was Friday morning with temps just below -6c. Snow cover remained intact and only melted partially on South facing roofs. Icicles also formed in places.

By Saturday evening change was in the air as the winds swung to a more Southerly direction and humidity rose along with cloud cover and temperatures. Sunday morning started off below freezing but the temperature crept up during the day where by evening snow cover was diminishing quickly.

Today as I type this, the only evidence of the cold spell are half melted snowmen and blocks of wet ice in the pond. It was a poor closing ceremony, with no final drama unlike 2018 BFTE.

My rating

My rating of this cold spell with the most weighted parameters towards the top of the list and the less weighted towards the bottom:

Longevity of snow cover: 8 days (8.5 out of 10)

Number of ice days: 5, with non ice days staying below 2c (8 out of 10)

Maximum snow depth: 12cm (7 out of 10)

Consecutive days of snowfall: 5; Sunday to Thursday (9.5 out of 10)

Icicle formation? And to what extent? Yes (6 out of 10)

Closing ceremony: poor, no transitional snow (0 out of 10)

Frozen water bodies: small to medium lakes froze (7 out of 10)

Coldest max temp: -2.5c (8.5 out of 10)

Coldest min temp: -6.0c (3 out of 10)

Variety of types of snow: ‘good’ with a mix of dry fine snow with bigger wetter snow types but no slider frontal snow (7.5 out of 10)

OVERALL RATING: 7.5 out of 10 

• Like 1

Posted

6 days with mean temperature below freezing here close to central London thats impressive so I’ll give cold 8.5/10 it stayed below freezing for 36 hours straight which is impressive the max of -1.2C on 8th extremely impressive. The snow however disappointed, plenty of falling snow but the legacy of warm ground temps, meant most of it didn’t settle, and in general showers lacked intensity Storm Darcy did more harm than good delaying very cold air and convective easterly. The cloud associated with system lingered for days preventing deeper convection this could have turned out much better - unfortunate, as it could have gone down as memorable. 

482C9E52-58F8-4928-AF37-DCAAF5DCE094.thumb.jpeg.47689c9991f0cf8d35dd2fde6ef9676e.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

This was nothing on Feb '94 here

You surprise me.There was 2 inches on the 3rd just 1 day.Next 2 inches by the 15th short 3 day easterly.Main cold spell came on the 20th covering that day,then 22nd heavy snow drifting upto 8 inches.

Posted
On 13/02/2021 at 19:55, Don said:

For cold, I would say 6/10.

Snow - 2/10 with mainly snow grains on Monday and Tuesday and then a cm or two late Tuesday.

It can't even delivery an interesting breakdown, instead going out on a whimper!

Overall, I would give the cold spell a disappointing 4/10.

8/10 here absolutely fabulous!

Posted
On 13/02/2021 at 22:08, Scorcher said:

I really don't rate the extremity of the cold as being anything special around these parts.

The strong wind has prevented temperatures dropping that much by night. Nights have been cold without being anything remarkable.

Every day has edged above freezing as well.

The most impressive thing for me has been the wind chill. Hard to recall such a combination of cold, dry air with a consistently strong wind before. Certainly not something I want to experience again any time soon.

Roll on some summer rain!