Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

February cold spell discussion and chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

i just had a giggle sorry.. was checking out the Met O forecast for Princetown, Dartmoor - next Thursday 6am, a thunder and lightning symbol.. with the temperature at 0c - Thunder Snow !! - yeah, i know, it's computer generated output

• Like 3

Posted
51 minutes ago, CentralSouthernSnow said:

The amount of overhyping that happens in this forum should be banned. This cold spell is no beast. It’s your average cold spell with a snow event in one part of the country. Not country wide or wide spread. Everything is watered down and I’m sure by Friday it’s turning mild for the foreseeable 

I know what you mean. It can be frustrating at times. Entertainment too though . It's funnier than the Daily Express.

Here, we've gone from getting over 10cm , to Virtually nothing in a very short time. 

Two of the worst things you can read is, 'reliable time frame', and 'nailed on'. 

Once you see that, it's usually game over

• Like 2

Posted

I always find that things tend to get downgraded generally as they get closer. Also, I always hear about how hard it is to move cold air, but in this part of the world that rarely seems to be an issue. If anything we normally go from one extreme to the other fairly quickly down here. So I would not be at all surprised if it's winter this weekend and shorts and t-shirt weather next weekend. 

Edited by Robbie Coldrain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

It seems this will be a one week wonder, with the depressingly inevitable Atlantic dreck moving in by next weekend.  My only question now is how much snow can we squeeze out of this.

Posted
34 minutes ago, Man Without Beard said:

Strange to see this correcting north in the past 24 hours - usually they correct south. If this sticks, bearing in mind it's within T96, South Devon could see some disruption in particular (I recall almost getting stuck on Halden Hill in Feb 2009)

Halden Hill can be lethal in that sort of weather! Really hoping it does stick, it is very rare for us to get a good amount of snow.

Edited by gman88667733
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, gman88667733 said:

Holden Hill can be lethal in that sort of weather! Really hoping it does stick, it is very rare for us to get a good amount of snow.

when we get it it's not done by little amounts lots of good weather watching to come

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or dry, warm and breezy.

Given the synoptics and the way the models look, I a surprised the Met Office are going for maxima of 1, -1, -1, and 1 over the next four days here in mid-Sussex. I am sure in the cold spells of my youth daytime temperatures were colder than that. One January in the mid-80s I am sure I remember -13 one night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
2 minutes ago, Stav said:

Given the synoptics and the way the models look, I a surprised the Met Office are going for maxima of 1, -1, -1, and 1 over the next four days here in mid-Sussex. I am sure in the cold spells of my youth daytime temperatures were colder than that. One January in the mid-80s I am sure I remember -13 one night.

They are really cold maxima for Sussex , the air mass coming in is cold but we have experienced much colder conditions previously!

• Like 2

Posted

Looking at the latest GFS, ECM and GEM suites, there certainly has been a big switch to keep the colder weather. Very unreliable given the time frame but it's something to keep an eye on rn

Posted

On the hunt for a local meteorologist. Based in Tamworth or surrounding areas ideally but will take Staffordshire. Anyone know of one to do interview on community radio on cold snap? 

Posted
1 hour ago, Stav said:

Maybe altitude? Or just vagaries of the models. Here in East Sussex it has 0, -2, -2, -1, 1 for Sunday to Thursday.

If you have snow on the ground I'd guess it will get colder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry and sunny with a gentle breeze ?
30 minutes ago, MIKEYT1968 said:

On the hunt for a local meteorologist. Based in Tamworth or surrounding areas ideally but will take Staffordshire. Anyone know of one to do interview on community radio on cold snap? 

Steve Hopley Cannock Chase Weatherman?

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

The Met Office are forecasting zero ice days here. Very underwhelming.

Same here in Manchester. Maxes of 2 from Sunday to Thursday. I assume its the lack of snowfall in my area, since London is forecasted to be below 0 in the same timeframe.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Same here in Manchester. Maxes of 2 from Sunday to Thursday. I assume its the lack of snowfall in my area, since London is forecasted to be below 0 in the same timeframe.

I imagine so unfortunately. For Leeds in any case this isn’t looking anywhere near as good as March 2013 or March 2018.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Email from Severn Trent Water suggests they have some insider knowledge...

"It seems that Jack Frost is on his way and we're expecting some really cold weather in your area over the next two weeks."

Posted
23 minutes ago, MJB said:

I will ..........................I think we will get some sort of covering , just depends if we get lucky and be get under a line of showers , I am more looking towards Thursday as the Atlantic tries to get in 

So a covering more then a dusting that's good enough I guess.would like to be 100 miles east!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
3 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

So a covering more then a dusting that's good enough I guess.would like to be 100 miles east!

More in the form of showers moving inland over Sunday and Monday , Oxfordshire is in the MET warning zones so that is a start 

Posted
1 minute ago, MJB said:

More in the form of showers moving inland over Sunday and Monday , Oxfordshire is in the MET warning zones so that is a start 

Yes the yellow area perhaps we could scrape 1-3cm did you see parts of Kent and Suffolk expecting 20cm!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Purga said:

UKMET now fully behind the prolongation of the cold ala model developments i.e. cold blocking dominating, with mild incursions only possible in the extreme W / SW.

The 12z's are awaited with relish... we hope!

Source please?

Posted
1 hour ago, cheese said:

The Met Office are forecasting zero ice days here. Very underwhelming.

Just a matter of being patient and wait for the showers to get going over the next few days. I believe that you will be pleasantly surprised. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and crisp..

Not weather related, any one heard from Frosty ?? Long time cold weather fan..