Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heavy snowfalls around 5-8 Feb

damianslaw

Posted

This thread might not carry much traffic, but I can't help but think back to this time 30 years and how similar the charts are with prediction of significant snow on 7th and 8th Feb, just as happened in 1991.

It has me thinking back to heavy snowfalls this time of year. We had 5-6 Feb 1996 snow.

Feb 09 was a bit earlier but a fair number saw heavy snow on 5 Feb.

Any other examples heavy snow in this period. Even 2007 brought some. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Considering years since 1950, 1968 and 1969 stick out as two years when this period had particularly notable snow events.  In 1968 there was a heavy persistent frontal event which brought heavy snow for some and therefore very large depths, while others had rain/sleet.  In 1969 there was an exceptionally cold northerly accompanied by a couple of polar lows which brought snowfalls a long way inland.

I can't think of anything much during the following 15 years, but 5-8 February 1986 was one of the snowiest spells of that very "easterly" month.

In the 1990s, 7-8 February 1995 was snowy in north-east Scotland but the cold air struggled to make it much further south, giving a few wintry showers near the north-east coast of England and some light wet snow to the north-west.  The northerly blast in February 1999 caught the end of this period, with frequent snow showers for NE Scotland and East Anglia on the 7th and 8th, frontal snowfall across an area of England and Wales on the 8th, and then snow showers developed more widely near the east coast on the night of the 8th/9th, so snow cover was quite widespread on the 9th.

In the 2000s, there was a heavy snowfall in Scotland and parts of northern England on the 4th February 2001 which stuck around for a while in parts of Scotland but melted in northern England.  I can't think of anything else of note other than 2007 and 2009,  

In the 2010s, 5 February 2012 was snow covered for a large part of eastern England from Durham southwards after a frontal system on the 4th brought rain, freezing rain and ice pellets to the north and west but turned to snow as it headed towards the SE.  In some areas, certainly Lincolnshire and East Anglia, the snow stuck around throughout the period, but there was no further snow of note until the 9th, which was similar to the 4th.  Nothing else sticks out though.  2018 may have had modest snowfalls for some in the north and east.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

feb 1979 ?, feb 1983, 1985 jan/feb) 1986 feb/march.

not sure of exact dates though, just thinking back to olden days.

Edited by chubbyfan
info.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

My memory doesn't go back very far, but perhaps February 2009. February 2012 I saw heavy snow on the 4th which stuck around for the following week. I remember some snow during the first half of February 2013 but not sure of the exact date.

Posted

In my lifetime i can only remember Feb 2012 and 2009 having potent cold snaps and snow. Feb 2018 provided heavy snow and cold at the end tho. But it has been a while since we've had a cold February throughout. Maybe this Feb will be the one..

Posted
On 05/02/2021 at 12:05, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

2007! Feb 8th and 9th,  Feb 1-6 '09, 4th Feb 2012, 3-5 Feb '03

The Feb 8 and 9 2007 snowfall was a really big one here (8-10 inches here by the end) in an otherwise dreadful winter