Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
15 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

Sad state of affairs this.. People getting hopeful and excited at the prospect of a cm or 2 if we get lucky.. The facts are easterlies are crap for the northwest.. No matter how much people spin it and hope.. And according to latest output there's more easterlies to come.. I can see a very annoying and frustrating 2 weeks coming up. 

Like anything where snow is concerned it depends on your location. Been looking at the radar today and the showers/ppn are hitting the usual areas in an easterly flow.  Where's there are gaps in the higher hills and where the showers have enough oomph in them some areas will get snow. Unfortunately there are those that will miss out on it all, but I'd have thought being in Blackburn you'd be in a far better position than those 10/15 miles to your west. 

If it means we have 2 weeks here of cold cloudy dry days then that's pretty normal for this set up. It's only frustrating if you are expecting 30cm of snow from this set up if you are sitting on Blackpool beach  or similar ... its not going to happen. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Where is Thundersnow? Carlisle getting plastered according to the radar

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

People don’t like NW’lies because they’re too marginal, people don’t like easterlies because they’re too dry. Basically as a region we are a massive pain in the backside. as @Wardlegacy says we are a very varied region and easterlies can absolutely deliver the goods for some and more than a couple of cm too. No spin. Completely get that for people north and west they’re not as good. 

The worst wind for this region, IMO, is a direct Arctic northerly during the winter. Unless it is late in the season (convective development) and/or their troughs in the flow, they rarely deliver.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Countryfile forecast was promising even for here, showed snow showers making it right to the west coast.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Folks we’ll be getting accused of being the northern SE thread if this bickering carries on

we all have our frustrations but a few things are apparent here.

that we are one of the most varied regions in England as regards topography and this has a massive influence on the weather from one location to another.

that all of the NW region does poorly as regards “interesting” weather.

that the post mortem needs to happen at the end and we’ve hardly even started the event yet.

yes some will get lucky and get a dumping and yes some will get next to nowt but I’d like to bet that the postcode in our region with the most snow will have considerably less than locations further east, north and south but there’s nothing we can do about it.

It looks like this cold spell has a good few days to run so hopefully we will all get a decent amount of snow from it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

The worst wind for this region, IMO, is a direct Arctic northerly during the winter. Unless it is late in the season (convective development) and/or their troughs in the flow, they rarely deliver.

Yes, usually just  get a skittering even in the hills. 
The best snowfalls I remember are from an easterly or northwesterly that last for a while and we get a homegrown trough hanging over the western Pennines which can bring huge snowfall totals but again not over the whole region. I can’t remember this since the early 1980s.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
8 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Yeah the straight northerly with it’s wishbone effect seldom gives anything other than blue skies here although I’d imagine the coast especially the North Wales one would do well out of one.

TBH even a NW usually gives nothing here as we are to far inland and tend to sheltered by the Cumbrian Mountains but I know it can be a snow machine for other parts of the region further south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
20 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Looks like the instability to the south and that instability to the north are trying to get together.... 

image.thumb.png.14aff83f39fac1d7e1832e40711e5441.png

Frame by frame it certainly looks to be filling in, good signs finally 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Folks we’ll be getting accused of being the northern SE thread if this bickering carries on

that we are one of the most varied regions in England as regards topography and this has a massive influence on the weather from one location to another.

that the post mortem needs to happen at the end and we’ve hardly even started the event yet.

yes some will get lucky and get a dumping and yes some will get next to nowt but I’d like to bet that the postcode in our region with the most snow will have considerably less than locations further east, north and south but there’s nothing we can do about it.

It looks like this cold spell has a good few days to run so hopefully we will all get a decent amount of snow from it.

Good post.  No bickering from me - this is an amazing thread with great people. As a relative newbie/lurker you are all incredibly welcoming.

EURO4 is out and it’s a bit rubbish compared to GEM and ARPEGE. However a few showers for most of us at some stage. South Cheshire may catch a streamer and most parts of the region have a tiny dusting by Tuesday morning. Hopefully GEM and ARPEGE are closer to the money. I think UKV is good as my MetO app has light snow for me most of the day, with heavy snow symbols in places like Bredbury. 
spacer.png

7188FA9C-83F6-4919-A155-3D5AC2862879.png

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Good post.  No bickering from me - this is an amazing thread with great people. As a relative newbie/lurker you are all incredibly welcoming.

EURO4 is out and it’s a bit rubbish compared to GEM and ARPEGE. However a few showers for most of us at some stage. South Cheshire may catch a streamer and most parts of the region have a tiny dusting by Tuesday morning. Hopefully GEM and ARPEGE are closer to the money. I think UKV is good as my MetO app has light snow for me most of the day, with heavy snow symbols in places like Bredbury. 
spacer.png

7188FA9C-83F6-4919-A155-3D5AC2862879.png

Areas east of Manchester look like they are in the 15cm plus, always struggle placing Oldham on these maps 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, swainclubber said:

Frame by frame it certainly looks to be filling in, good signs finally 

It needs to do, Yorkshire Water will be looking at a hose pipe ban if that bone dry area doesn’t shrink quickly.

Just been watching the timeline on the bright echoes coming ashore near the Wash.

It must be plastering the areas immediate inland but it has no legs and barely gets 30 miles before loosing all of its intensity so it’s no wonder ours struggle to reach this side of the Pennines.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I mean, technically it hasn’t stopped snowing all day. And it’s still going. But yeah, this is boring. N sea isn’t even interested in spawning any noteworthy showers. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
23 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

Happy bunny... ⚽⚽⚽⚽
My husband doing great in hospital and out Tuesday,  light snow outside, icicles, possibly not above freezing/or max -3/-4c couple of days... -8c/-12c overnight possibly,  potentially a lot of snow, 

Good to hear mate

Posted

Enjoyed today's weather personally. An ice cold Easterly, snow flakes in the air all day, dry under foot. Yes it would be nice for lots of snow but as many have already said it just doesn't happen for the majority in this set up. I will certainly be making the most of the next week or so with plenty of winter walks!

Edited by Slidergate '17
*ice
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

Friday current outlook from the UKV..  

image.thumb.png.8ad0da84946becd7acda2d5683292632.png

Dream scenario for here my fave setup, shame it's the famous Day 5!

Time I think to log off and come back tomorrow, last few pages are more like the Mad thread.

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

Friday current outlook from the UKV..  

image.thumb.png.8ad0da84946becd7acda2d5683292632.png

Looking good for Merseyside, Wirral and West Lancs.

just hope it makes it that far but then decides it likes the North West and has a slow journey across the rest of it. 

• Like 6

Posted

Light Snow here at the moment ? not going to mount to anything but I will take it

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
35 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Quite right. Well said. ???? We need to calm down a bit in here.

anyway things could be much worse......... you could be a Liverpool fan like me. Where’s that hole in the Sand to stick my head in!

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Quite right. Well said. ???? We need to calm down a bit in here.

anyway things could be much worse......... you could be a Liverpool fan like me. Where’s that hole in the Sand to stick my head in!

One of the main reasons I have such a passion for weather is we can’t do ANYTHING about it. What will be, will be.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

It's actually nice to have a day where the ground dries out for a change!

Wind is bitter though

currently 2C but drying out with the dewpoint of -4C

Edited by SP1986