Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Sandbach, South Cheshire 65m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
  • Location: Sandbach, South Cheshire 65m ASL

    Feeling positively Springlike in any brightness here in South Cheshire this afternoon. Looking forward to next week for some proper winter cold but really not sure on what in terms of snow we’ll get. Easterlies can deliver for this region but to have widespread snow cover from Liverpool in the west to Buxton in the East, to Crewe in the South and the Lakes to the North  you really need a true Beast like Feb 1991 and to a lesser extent the BFTE in 2018.  I’m not sure whether we can call next weeks cold snap from the East a beast just yet. Eastern areas of the country and the region once the North Sea snow machine fires up should do very well though. If the rest of the region can squeeze one half decent snowfall out of this spell even if it’s via a few heavy snow showers that stick around a day or so with daytime temperatures close to zero I think many will be happy. Fingers crossed for everyone next week! 🌨 ️ 

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.6k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    I had to get out before the sun melted it all. 

    Some brilliant walking conditions this morning apart from the sheer depth of snow, almost a foot fell here last night and not a Met O warning in site. made for some good photographs though, altho

    Heaviest single fall of snow for several years here and the heaviest in April since 1981.  

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: Northwich south cheshire 35m or 114ft above sea le
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
  • Location: Northwich south cheshire 35m or 114ft above sea le
    1 minute ago, Joe Snow said:

    Feeling positively Springlike in any brightness here in South Cheshire this afternoon. Looking forward to next week for some proper winter cold but really not sure on what in terms of snow we’ll get. Easterlies can deliver for this region but to have widespread snow cover from Liverpool in the west to Buxton in the East, to Crewe in the South and the Lakes to the North  you really need a true Beast like Feb 1991 and to a lesser extent the BFTE in 2018.  I’m not sure whether we can call next weeks cold snap from the East a beast just yet. Eastern areas of the country and the region once the North Sea snow machine fires up should do very well though. If the rest of the region can squeeze one half decent snowfall out of this spell even if it’s via a few heavy snow showers that stick around a day or so with daytime temperatures close to zero I think many will be happy. Fingers crossed for everyone next week! 🌨 ️ 

    Guess you didn't see the lunchtime forecast then😍

    C.S

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Sandbach, South Cheshire 65m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
  • Location: Sandbach, South Cheshire 65m ASL
    Just now, cheshire snow said:

    Guess you didn't see the lunchtime forecast then😍

    C.S

    Ooo what did it show?! 🙏😄😍️ 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Northwich south cheshire 35m or 114ft above sea le
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
  • Location: Northwich south cheshire 35m or 114ft above sea le
    1 minute ago, Joe Snow said:

    Ooo what did it show?! 🙏😄😍️ 

    Stalling low over many parts of the region and Midlands with snow from Saturday through Sunday mentioned the words significant disruptive snow could occur she did state the uncertainly as usual though 

    C.S

    • Like 5
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Blackburn - 180m asl
  • Location: Blackburn - 180m asl
    4 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

    Stalling low over many parts of the region and Midlands with snow from Saturday through Sunday mentioned the words significant disruptive snow could occur she did state the uncertainly as usual though 

    C.S

    So that'll correct to around the Wash then? 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Withington, South Manchester, 38m ASL
  • Location: Withington, South Manchester, 38m ASL

    The BBC forecast for Sunday is using EPS data - this is Manchester. Very snowy. 
     

     

    F3B76199-8C21-4D2C-9EA0-ADD1DCCF5B93.png

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Wirral, Merseyside
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunny crisp frosty days & Thunderstorms
  • Location: Wirral, Merseyside
    1 hour ago, Dexter said:

    Thanks for those. I was going to ask members how good Feb 1991 was in Western parts of our region. Looks like it was decent on that chart. I lived in the Midlands at the time and we ended up with around a foot and a half of snow from memory.

    Did a post on it last week, 6 inches of powder snow and still remains my favourite cold spell to date.

    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Blackburn - 180m asl
  • Location: Blackburn - 180m asl

    Met Office appear to be coming round to the idea of snow reaching as far west as my little western outpost now. 

     

    'Placeholder Snow' from 6pm to 6am on both Saturday night and Sunday night 

    Edited by Frosty the Snowman
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Stoke on Trent
  • Location: Stoke on Trent

    The BBC forecast was fantastic however the Met have just put warnings out that miss the West 

    Screenshot_20210203-150246_Met Office.jpg

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Stockport, South Manchester
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.
  • Location: Stockport, South Manchester
    2 hours ago, Had Worse said:

    Somewhere near the Fletchers Arms?

    Near to dane bank primary school 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Blackburn - 180m asl
  • Location: Blackburn - 180m asl
    2 minutes ago, Andypvfc said:

    The BBC forecast was fantastic however the Met have just put warnings out that miss the West 

    Screenshot_20210203-150246_Met Office.jpg

    The warnings miss us but if you check your local forecast there'll likely be some snow on it.

     

    I think the warning is being put out for the East now because snow is absolutely nailed on for them either way - they get a load of Easterly Showers if everything else doesn't pan out, where as we need a slightly more specific scenario. They'd probably put any warning out for us on Friday night. 

    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Wirral, Merseyside
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunny crisp frosty days & Thunderstorms
  • Location: Wirral, Merseyside

    Taken from the Beebs website updated an hour ago.

    Again not to be taken literally as it's only Wednesday but not bad for the more Southern & Central parts of the region.

    Outlook for Friday to Sunday

    Showery rain on Thursday night.

    Friday looks like being a generally cloudy day with occasional rain or showers.

    The easterly wind will pick up on Saturday - spells of rain will increasingly fall as snow, even to low levels.

    Much colder on Sunday with a strong easterly wind, bringing snow showers at times.

    8260753_Screenshot_2021-02-03Wallasey-BBCWeather.thumb.png.97da92f83f225270d72e14439fb063a3.png

     

    • Like 2
    • Thanks 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Blackburn - 180m asl
  • Location: Blackburn - 180m asl
    2 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

    Taken from the Beebs website updated an hour ago.

    Again not to be taken literally as it's only Wednesday but not bad for the more Southern & Central parts of the region.

    Outlook for Friday to Sunday

    Showery rain on Thursday night.

    Friday looks like being a generally cloudy day with occasional rain or showers.

    The easterly wind will pick up on Saturday - spells of rain will increasingly fall as snow, even to low levels.

    Much colder on Sunday with a strong easterly wind, bringing snow showers at times.

    8260753_Screenshot_2021-02-03Wallasey-BBCWeather.thumb.png.97da92f83f225270d72e14439fb063a3.png

     

    Mind the gap

     

    mindthegap.thumb.jpg.33ad8d50ddcf524124b6db6a8ac6dcaa.jpg

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Wigan 259 ft ASL where it always rains
  • Location: Wigan 259 ft ASL where it always rains

    I saw the lunchtime forecast on the BBC, I was pleasently surprised at the graphics showing snowfall across the whole of the NW,normally those pesky Pennines stop any easterly flow this way

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: South Manchester 35m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'
  • Location: South Manchester 35m asl

    Even I have a snow symbol this far west for sunday night so it should be interesting for some of us in the NW at least

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Carlisle
  • Location: Carlisle

    I'm hoping I see some snow at some point during the upcoming cold spell. Just been in the mod thread all there bothered about is the South East thought it beat not to post there lol

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, 103m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and/or snow in Winter and Thunderstorms any time of the year.
  • Location: Medlock Valley, Oldham, 103m asl
    46 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

    Radar image from New Year's eve night 1996, it was virtually continuous snow. 

    BBk1m73.jpg

    Remember it well but all for the wrong reasons as it was a relative's funeral that day. If we hadn't of had a 4x4 we wouldn't have made it all the way down to southern cemetery in south Manchester.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
  • Location: Windermere 120m asl
    25 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

    Taken from the Beebs website updated an hour ago.

    Again not to be taken literally as it's only Wednesday but not bad for the more Southern & Central parts of the region.

    Outlook for Friday to Sunday

    Showery rain on Thursday night.

    Friday looks like being a generally cloudy day with occasional rain or showers.

    The easterly wind will pick up on Saturday - spells of rain will increasingly fall as snow, even to low levels.

    Much colder on Sunday with a strong easterly wind, bringing snow showers at times.

    8260753_Screenshot_2021-02-03Wallasey-BBCWeather.thumb.png.97da92f83f225270d72e14439fb063a3.png

     

    The maps are distorted, Cumbria is shown small scale and no snow, misleading...

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Carlisle
  • Location: Carlisle
    5 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

    The maps are distorted, Cumbria is shown small scale and no snow, misleading...

    Hope so missed out all winter so far on the good stuff

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: High Crompton, Shaw (213m/699ft asl)
  • Location: High Crompton, Shaw (213m/699ft asl)

    image.thumb.png.64af87df1fe3e20d8eab9133ebe4124e.png<< These sort of updates make me happy 😄 , better not let me down again! 😆 - all looking good so far though so fingers crossed 🤞

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    • Settled, dry spell continues as daytime temperatures edge up a degree or so

      The risk of frost continues and it is chilly out of the sunshine but the fine, dry spell continues this week as the temperatures creep up, closer to average rather than below as they have been. Read the full update here

      Netweather forecasts
      Netweather forecasts
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      2021 Arctic Sea Ice Melt Season Outlook

      Samual Hayes explores the trends and the main influencing factors as the Arctic Sea Ice Melt season for 2021 gets underway. Read the full article

      BornFromTheVoid
      BornFromTheVoid
      Latest weather updates from Netweather

      Cold waves hitting Europe continue to threaten growers, is there a link to climate change?

      Much of Europe, not just the UK, has experienced unseasonably cold weather since the Easter Weekend. A plunge of cold arctic air brought by northerly winds early last week brought several nights of frost and even snow across large swathes of Europe, followed by another wave of cold arctic air spreads across much of Europe this week. The frosts causing damage to new growth in vineyards and orchardsa0spurred on by a late March heatwave, the vineyards of France werea0particularly badly affected.

      Nick F
      Nick F
      Latest weather updates from Netweather 4
    • Recently Browsing   1 member

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...