Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
36 minutes ago, Jontiman said:

Being based in West Cumbria once again I look in envy at forecasts of heavy snow in the East, especially as I remember epic winters from my childhood in Gateshead.  However many in West Cumbria will remember exactly 25 years ago on 5th/6th February 1996, for what has become known locally as The Big Snow, when about 20 hours of constant heavy fall resulted in over a foot of laying snow (even down to the edge of the lapping waves on Seascale beach) and drifts of 3 and 4 feet burying hundreds of abandoned cars across the space of a few miles.  The photo shows a point in Whitehaven less than 10m elevation and less than 500m from the Irish Sea.  Haven't seen anything near the likes of it since.  I do wonder whether the forthcoming cold from the East and possible blocking of incoming fronts from the West may give us a re-run?  Are there models archived from back then that show the setup and any similarities with the current situation? 

The Big Snow.jpg

Yes ,definitely the best fall I’ve known . 1ft level snow and huge drifts. Nice to think it could happen again soon.

64E1B87A-258C-4B4D-BA7E-55A197718745.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
Just now, Geordiesnow said:

That was from a trough, did not hit as much here but in terms of shower wise, I dont recall any showers hitting here, you keep seeing the shower clouds but they just die out as they hit the coast.

Yes I know. My point being things crop up, god this place is doing my head in today!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
8 minutes ago, frosty ground said:
meteoblue_tile_large.png
WWW.METEOBLUE.COM

Today's and tonight's professional weather forecast for Moorside. Precipitation radar, HD satellite images, and current weather warnings, hourly temperature, chance of rain, and sunshine hours.

This is a good website and it lets you see all the ensembles from many different models.

Yep - still in the Rain shadow with that site as well - even Thursdays front gives us a swerve

Good site though  - Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
3 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Lol - after a few days they'll be totally wazzed off with it all and be ready for Summer.

As for here  - hope the favoured spots get what they wish - us lowlanders are used to none of it.

Looking forward to a bit of summer myself but ideally would like to go through a few days of proper winter conditions first.

that said it feels almost spring like outside today, amazing what a bit of sun does after what seems like months of cloudy, miserable crap.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny Summers and cold snowy Winters
35 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Looking at this thread it appears to have been a westerly front meeting with an existing Easterly and providing breakdown snow.

Although I am sure the many on here old enough to remember it will be able to clear things up. I've heard this referred to many times as one of the holy grails for snow lovers on the West Coast, and there's a remote possibility of a rerun in the next few weeks depending on the track of the current Atlantic Low. 

Thanks Frosty, I hadn't seen that thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
Just now, iand61 said:

Looking forward to a bit of summer myself but ideally would like to go through a few days of proper winter conditions first.

that said it feels almost spring like outside today, amazing what a bit of sun does after what seems like months of cloudy, miserable crap.

Yes - just back from a 3 miler Terrier drag - I sometimes wonder who's taking who for a walk - incessent mud but that Sun is warm and got a sweat on - Snowdrops Daffs and Catkins popping through totally misleading for the next few days.

• Like 2

Posted

Will it? won't it? Just a wait and see from me,not expecting anything, if we do it'll be a bonus

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Yes I know. My point being things crop up, god this place is doing my head in today!

Of course and I for one would advice people stop studying charts too much, dont watch too many forecasts and definately dont look at the Met office apps.

To be fair  I do think Merseyside has a better chance of snowfall given the pennines are not as high further south as they are this far north. Plus as others said in this thread, a streamer type could well develop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Yes someone has uploaded with the wrong date.

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 4

Posted
38 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

06z has nothing for the NW  - true rain shadow stuff.

Best offering is the SW front on Thursday - 3 hrs ppn and that's your lot.

All subject to change - more runs needed...! as they say.

The ppn will be back for us when it starts raining again.

• Like 2

Posted

Could be a 2 day snowy breakdown end of next week, I'd take that with open arms right now!

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Day 10 said:

Could be a 2 day snowy breakdown end of next week, I'd take that with open arms right now!

As i said a few days ago, son is going back to Derby next weekend, a lot of high level roads to get there or maybe not.

Posted

Outlook here isn't too bad at moment, although amounts keeps changing regularly, its pretty consistent with the fact the showers will make it across...Fingers crossed for all 

image.thumb.png.fdc4cd74b5abce4824d0e11b998b1e46.png

• Like 1

Posted

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
7 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

It’s no wonder there’s nowt on offer for our region.

he had is bloomin head in the way when the bands of showers were crossing the north on Sunday so even if they could get over the mighty Pennines they couldn’t pass a solid 100 mile wide head

seriously though I’d be amazed if the feed shown wasn’t strong enough to force some snow across the tops and into the North West.

yes the amounts will be substantially less than the more favoured spots in the East and SE but a few showers of heavy blowing snow leaving a covering and then freezing for a few days will be enough for me; at least winter will look like it should for a while.

I’m sure the novelty of digging cars out will soon wear off for the drivers in the areas expecting a biblical dumping, I know I was sick of shovelling the damn stuff on a daily basis by the middle of January 2010 and shifting snow during some of the big falls in the early 80’s nearly put my lights out but I’m not a Snowvid deniar so anyone who wants feet of the stuff, best of luck and enjoy.

• Like 4

Posted

Monday into Tuesday - Top, Middle & Bottom then everybody is happy.

1a.thumb.jpg.b93e25ef4dd6bfd7e1f5d55ce1e82c6e.jpg2.thumb.jpg.f58277ad8f1aa3df4c6ee1070d74659d.jpg3.thumb.jpg.615e76a90bc70eee15e8adc29a3e1ef3.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
9 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

When do the ukmo fax update? 

About 7.30pm

Edited by Had Worse
  • Like 1

Posted

Posted
1 hour ago, Osca31 said:

Yes ,definitely the best fall I’ve known . 1ft level snow and huge drifts. Nice to think it could happen again soon.

64E1B87A-258C-4B4D-BA7E-55A197718745.jpeg

Was a system coming in from the north west that hit the cold pool we'd built up. So a bit like what we're looking at, but the angle of attack was different. On the other hand, it looks like we're going to have a deeper cold pool this time.

Charts: 

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

Reanalysis archives of the past decades covering Europe.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
2 hours ago, Day 10 said:

Just done some digging.

27th Feb 2018

No snow from the East this far west is utter tosh!

archivesnh-2018-2-27-0-0.thumb.png.b46d19aa20887c5c79f547d034c2657d.png

We got this.

DSC_0571.thumb.JPG.9a61d185ab17a03e5e2437e3a5f2947f.JPGDSC_0573.thumb.JPG.c359f04d4a1cb919a8734fa01278d0cc.JPG

Always gives me a chuckle to see a palm tree covered in snow

• Like 1