Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion Feb 2021 onwards

Posted
On 22/09/2021 at 20:34, trickydicky said:

Nothing will ever be worse than that November-December 2015. I still haven’t fully got over it. Mind bendingly mild, incredibly wet and not even a glimmer of sunshine. The worst weather I’ve ever lived through. 

It was very strange after what was quite a cool year preceding that period.  Was looking like a 9C year before that agonising Nov-Dec period came up

• Like 3

Posted
27 minutes ago, Frigid said:

It was very strange after what was quite a cool year preceding that period.  Was looking like a 9C year before that agonising Nov-Dec period came up

Was 2015 that cool, the winter was quite average, the spring and summer also, Sept was quite cold, October was mild from memory..

Reflecting on worse winters in terms of cold weather, 2013-2014 hands down worse, followed by a toss up between 2015-16 and 19-20, 16-17 a close third. As a single entity though nothing beats the incredible mild and wet December of 2015, an awful month in every way. Winter 13-14 however, brought just one shortlived burst of wet snow, that settled for all of an hour or two and then thawed. It was the most frostless winter I think on record, and was consistently wet and windy, no rest from start to finish from the atlantic. At least from mid Jan onwards winter 15-16 brought some calmer colder frostier weather at times.. a major flip from the very wet start to the winter, thank goodness, had the rains of Dec 15 continued in Jan and Feb, oh boy what a terrible state we would have been in.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

December 2015 was horrific; mainly mild, wet & windy. Though I do remember going for a test drive of a car near Chester and it was sunny, bright, warm; then having lunch outside in Cheshire Oaks....a week before Christmas; it was nice, but felt wrong.

Yet, a few days later having a Boxing day lunch and having to take a detour as roads were flooded. In mid/late January, I went up to Staveley, to purchase a new bike; and decided to visit a pub for lunch - they were desperate for people to keep visiting, and the area was 'open for business', despite the obvious effects of the floods.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
6 hours ago, damianslaw said:

According to Environment Agency, up until 21 Sept the NW region has only seen 19% of its average September rainfall. 

And you just know that when the heavens open, it will give us 219% in a short space of time.

• Like 4

Posted

Second damp morning on the trot here, just enough to wet the ground.  Still frequently having to go out and give the garden a water. Begonias, geraniums and roses all still really flourishing. My heating automatically came on Tues evening and it did again last night. Garden thermometer reading 14°C at the moment and it's quite misty and foggy over the tops towards the cat and fiddle.  Theres a good whiff of autumn in the air late evenings now.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
5 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Second damp morning on the trot here, just enough to wet the ground.  Still frequently having to go out and give the garden a water. Begonias, geraniums and roses all still really flourishing. My heating automatically came on Tues evening and it did again last night. Garden thermometer reading 14°C at the moment and it's quite misty and foggy over the tops towards the cat and fiddle.  Theres a good whiff of autumn in the air late evenings now.

Yes a bit of drizzle here earlier but not enough to give the reservoirs a top up. Looks like they will next week though as the Atlantic wakes up a bit but still far from full throttle. I don't mind a wet October as long as it doesn't carry on for months and scuppers any cold.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Miserable and drizzly for much of the morning and early afternoon and only the briefest of brighter skies since then but   only what we should be expecting for late September.

I think we’ve been spoilt, certainly this year and over the majority of recent years but the late arrival of daylight during today’s and yesterday’s cloudy damp start was a good indication that winter is on its way.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
22 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

How is everyone ?

Doing great how's you?. Silly season almost upon us....looking forward to the disappointments and pesky shortwaves....not

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
35 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

How is everyone ?

Is it that time of year again already

• Like 4

Posted

Felt really mild earlier this evening when popped out for some shopping, no whiff of Autumn in the air tonight.  Just checked local weather station temperature and its 17°C, not a hint of a breeze either, positively balmy.

• Like 5

Posted
10 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

1D6257BC-73E7-4DFE-93A7-DEDF8D14227C.jpeg

LOL WillinGlossop,  noticed tonight when shopping how depleted the loo roll aisle was, didn't buy any cos don't need it.  You made me chuckle.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
1 hour ago, Rush2112 said:

Well my phone app has just gone up a degree to 19°C!  My fan is on standby.  Makes the season of lamp post watching seem like it's months away.

20210920_084148.jpg

Yep midnight and its 18c pretty impressive for late September 

• Like 3

Posted

Damp and drizzle start up here again but not a breath of breeze so although, I haven’t stuck my nose outside yet, I’d imagine it’s another one of those days where you need a jacket to keep dry but will end up soaked with sweat if you do.

The forecast looks promising for later with a brightening trend, especially lower down so the planned shopping and dining trip into Manchester May not need the jacket after all.

• Like 3

Posted

Been drizzling here since the early hours.  Cloud cover kept the heat in.  Out at 7am to do my mums and a friends shopping, thought I'd have to switch supermarkets as queues for Tesco petrol station were beginning to congest the entrance.  A few more gaps than normal on the shelves, not because of a shortage of products but due to it not being delivered.  Availability quite good considering. Local weather station temp is 16°C and a bit foggy over the tops again.

• Like 2

Posted

The ghastly SW airstream and its associated murky, mist, dank humid muck in full attire... can't wait for the cold front to kick it aside!

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 7